Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Timing Chain replacement cost? 2.2 JTS

12K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  wullsy 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm just about to get my timing chain replaced due to the P0016 error and I was wondering what an average cost for this would be. I've just spent my lunch phoning round 5 indies, and I've been quoted from £550 to just over 2 grand. The more expensive ones seem to change the sprockets as well and the cheaper ones only the timing chain kit.
If I went for just the timing chain kit what else is likely to need replaced as well? For example, are the sprockets always worn?
I don't have any other issues i.e. losing power or the such like - it's just the recurring P0016 error.

#6 ·
Yes, you really ought to have the sprockets replaced. My Brera had an expensive timing chain replacement done by the previous owner which skipped this step and it all needed doing again a year later. I think the whole thing should cost around a grand, maybe a bit less..

#9 ·
I have a 2.2JTS Spider, 57 reg, 31K mileage. Keep getting an intermittant alarm 'Have engine checked'. The ECU diagnosed a stretched timing chain. Alarm cleared off the ECU, drove for another 100 miles or so then same 'Have engine checked'. Have been quoted £1500 to have chain, sprockets, etc. replaced. I just wonder whether the timing chain sensors may be faulty. Do timing chains only last 30K miles, im rather shocked.

#10 ·
Do you know the error code? Was it just P0016 or a series of them? I just had P0016 but I had similar to yourself - it just kept coming back. Definitely shop around on the timing chain price - I just had mine done for £550 after getting the same quotes as yourself.
I'm a few hundred miles in since it was done and no error so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.