Alfa Romeo Forum banner

156 or 159 20v jtd

Tags
20v jtd
1K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  shfcook 
#1 ·
I love this engine, and I want one. I really think the 156 is prettier than the 159 and faster too, but with worse ride. Therefore was thinking of getting a 2yr old Lusso, maybe £10-11k. Now looking on Autotrader I see some 159 20vs for £18-19k. Question is how much is a 159 going to be worth in 3 years, and how much is a 156 going to be worth. Will in fact it be almost the same cost, depreciation plus opportunity cost + servicing/maintenance etc owning a 159 as a 156? My guess is a 159 will be worth £9-10k in 3 years, a 156 £4-5k...anyone have any views?

#2 ·
I posted this Sunday lunchtime and didn't get any responses, doesn't anyone have a view?

#5 · (Edited)
If you look at the private good value for a 156 10v jtd on a 2001 Y ie 5.5yrs old, Parkers for instance say £4k, you would have thought therefore that a 2004 04 20v facelift would be worth that in 3 years? By the way did I mention we only do about 7k miles per year, so either choice would be lowish mileage, I know this doesn't add to value much, but it does make the cars more saleable.

#6 · (Edited)
let's be honest you don't buy an Alfa Romeo as an investment, both will retain around 30% their original value over 3 years. Personally I rate the 159 over the 156 because the materials used in the build seem so much better. I own a 159 2.4 diesel and I love it to bits. It feels well made, drives superbly and with an Angel Remap, goes really well. My advice is buy whichever you like the look of and enjoy driving it. If you care about residuals buy a VW Golf diesel like everyone else.

Also, I think you'll find 18k will get you a 2.2 JTS 159 where a 2.4Jtdm lusso will be around the early 20k mark.

#7 ·
Ah my question isn't whether to buy an Alfa or not, it's more whether although the 156 at £10k looks a lot cheaper than a 159 at £18k, whether due to possibly different rates of depreciation and the mechanical liabilities of a 156, whether there might be less difference in the total ownership costs over 3 years than the initial purchase prices suggest?

I love Alfas, and every one of the 18 months since we sold our 10v sportwagon, I have been pining.

#8 ·
In my experience old models just depreciate more as time goes on and new ones come out. The 156 has reached the end of its life and prospective buyers know that which is why they are so heavily discounted at the moment. This will ultimately push the residuals on older models down further still so a cheap car today will just be worth even less tomorrow.

I may sound biased but try both cars. To me the 156 seems Mondeo while the 159 feels more BMW/Audi in terms of build and the 159 just feels more polished. What affect this has on the residual value of the 159 remains to be seen.

#9 ·
I have tried both cars and the 159 is definately slower than the 156 due to the extra weight, but same torque. I agree the 159 rides better however the facelifted Lusso (with comfort pack?) does ride better than the Veloce I had. I know the 156 looks more classic than cutting edge, but the 159 is a big car and not so pretty, in fact the front from some angles looks like a snow plough. Inside the 156 cabin is more intimate, the 159 has lost that, and in fact it could be argued feels more corporate despite marginally better materials than the post Sep 02 156 interiors.

I'm torn, can't decide which way to jump.

#10 ·
sounds like you've made your mind up to me and prefer the 156 and there's nothing wrong with that. I prefer the styling of the 159, especially the rear 3/4 and the way the car looks "stuck" to the road from the rear - It's slightly agressive but still pure Alfa in design.

I admit the performance is a disappointment but this is easily fixed with a remap. 250bhp and 350lbs torque transforms the car and the chassis can take it easily.

#11 ·
I think I'll get the 156, keep it for 12-18 months and when I see the likes of Veloces running down their stock of secondhand 156s I'll know its time to sell, then I'll agonise over the decision on this forum and buy a 159.

My wife wishes I could be more like other people, who walk into a shop and buy the car, she's got a point.

#12 ·
Seeing that you are worried about residuals, look at 156 with higher mileage, I suspect you could buy a fully company maintained top spec 2004 for about £6,000. If you could get one about 60,000 miles then in 3 years it would be 80,000 at 5 years old, only 16,000 a year.

Alfa are not doing the lease deals now, I think, so its less likely to get a 159 off lease, and a bit early yet.

#13 ·
shfcook said:
My wife wishes I could be more like other people, who walk into a shop and buy the car, she's got a point.
Reminds me of a story: In Christmas 1998 I went down Perrys in Portsmouth specifically to buy an Alfa GTV. When I found the showroom closed I went next door and bought a Fiat Coupe turbo instead. I kept it for several years and thought it wonderful.

For the past 5 years and until I recently bought the 159, my job and young family have had me driving a Passat diesel estate. It was reliable, cheap and practical but I still couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Buying with the head may seem like a good idea but it's awfully dull. :D

#14 ·
I test drove a 159 2.4 JTD and found it comfy well built but a little lifeless.....very Germanic TBH ! ( and too expensive)

So I bought the 20v JTD 156 sportwagon in June and I love it. A remap soon will boost it to 235 bhp with tree stump pulling torque...that'll do for me !

Get the 156 as a sporty saloon or the 159 as a comfy lux wagon....?

I still stand by the fact you will actually loose half as much money with the 156 tho' !

Lee

#15 ·
I can't pretend that despite being a qualified investment analyst, £10k looks a lot less than £18k, although I know that total ownership cost difference is a lot less. However the real thing is that we don't use a car on a day to day basis, so I want a treat on the odd weekend when we get out of London. If I was an everyday user I would have to go for the 159.

#16 ·
morty1961 said:
Get the 156 as a sporty saloon or the 159 as a comfy lux wagon....?

Lee
Pretty much true, though the low speed ride is harder and the steering heavier on the 159, but it is by far the better motorway cruiser and a lot bigger inside, except for rear legroom, which due to the enormous seats, is about the same.

The main point with the 159 is the 5star crash protection if you have kids. The extra power they have is offset by weight, youre right.

The suspension is unlikely to need as much work as even a new 156 by the way, its a lot sturdier.

#17 ·
Personally I wouldnt spend 10k on a 156 right now. Buy at higher mileage 2003 facelift for about 5k and enjoy its looks and handling for 18 months. You'll lose 2k in that time and have money left aside for a 159 which IMO is going to drop in value just as much as a 156 as alfa are already talking of a lighter facelift for late 2007 and another in late 1008.

If you want to keep the car for a longer period, say 3-4 years then get a newer 156 and forget about its value in 3 years and enjoy it :d

or go for the middle ground and get a GT :D

#18 ·
hmm interesting, not many 2003 facelift 20v jtds around...I also want leather, maybe too fussy? Anywhere I should be looking other than Autotrade and ebay?

#20 ·
I bought a 2001 156 Selespeed for what thought was a bargain price of £1000 a year ago with broken cambelt, after doing the cambelt, and then the idle problem, and then the clutch problem, oh and the selespeed problem, ive driven it for about 2months, and its worth about £1200 now, great!

#21 ·
moto748 said:
kamran's sounds like good advice to me. Personally I wouldn't spend 10k on a 156 either; there's no need to spend that sort of money. You could buy a nice one for 4-5k and then see how the second-hand market looks after a couple of years.
I don't see any facelifted 156 20v jtds going for £5-6k, where are you guys seeing them?

#25 ·
There aren't many 20vs around, is that because not many were sold, or because people have only had them for 3 years?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.