Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Squeaky brakes

Tags
squeaky
2K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Maverick 
#1 ·
I have what seems to be a common problem with squeaky brakes on my 166Ts. The noise comes from my rear (left) when the brakes are not applied. If i apply the brakes slightly the noise goes away. It is the same if i gently tug at the handbrake. If i slam on the brakes at motorway speed the noise goes away for a few days but it always comes back.

Is there anything i can change/lube or something?

#2 ·
Quite normal. You need to put some stuff on the brake pads, but I've forgotten the name of it - a sort of gunk that's not a lubricant. Someone will be a long to name it shortly I'm sure! My local Alfa dealer did it for me when my 147's brakes were squeeling in the same way as you describe. Once this stuff was applied, the squeeling never returned.

#3 ·
I have the same problem with my car I know copper ease applied to the back of the pads normally solves the problem on other cars but I'm not sure if it will work on the 166 as I believe the problem is caused by the very hard compound Alfa uses when I get my car back from having it's exhaust fitted I'm going to give it a go & let you know the results (That's if I can still hear the brakes over the exhaust as I looked at it before dropping it off & the rear box is a straight through job :eek:)

#7 ·
You can get a bit of uneven edge where the disc wears down if you've replaced pads but not the discs themselves but it isn't that common.

Change the discs.

More likely is a build up of small particles of brake dust getting trapped and casuing a harmonic resonance. The non-asbestos linings now used are worse for this than of old. A partial clearing or rearrangement of the mass of particles is occurring when you dab the brakes hard. Cleaning the pads and callipers then applying some copperslip to the back of the pads is the answer.

Don't get it on the surface of the pads or discs!:tut:

#18 ·
your brakes need complete service, new pads(old ones refitted not good), clean caliper thoroughly with brake cleaner and make sure there is no crap on the edges where the pads sit, remove rust from disc edges by spinning and using screwdriver to hone off.
if you can, pump out piston and replace rubber seals with extreme caution and cleanliness. copper grease all contact surfaces between caliper/piston/pads but not between disc/pads obviously.
And dont forget to run pads in for a while to bed them in, otherwise you'll be back to square one.

#20 ·
niallmoran said:
how did you go about reconditioning the calliper? I'm pretty sure that's the problem with mine...maybe should just order up a decent second hand one.
Had the local garage do it. Car was off the road for longer ~ 4 days, but as I can get the train to and from work at the moment, it wasnt a big deal. Not sure where they sent the caliper for recon though.

Bill

#22 ·
I had a squeaking front brake a year or so ago. The car had been off the road for a couple of years; the defect I subsequently diagnosed was a sticky front brake calliper. I put this down to two reasons - 1) the piston becoming seized due corrosion caused by moisture absorbed over time in the brake fluid, moisture in the atmosphere, and ingress through a small hole in the rubber boot:rolleyes: ; and 2) the fact that it had been stood for so long - with no exercise. I've had the same problem on other cars in the past, and have generally freed off he piston by removing the pad, and gently squeezing the piston back into the cylinder with a piece of timber. Then, pop the pad (or even better a worn pad) back in, and apply the brake pedal to push out the piston again. Repeat several times, and the piston will hopefully free off a bit. Take care for brake fluid overflows from the reservoir when pressing back the piston, though; and don't press the brake pedal down without something between the piston and disc!

Anyway - on the 164 this trick did not work; the piston freed a bit - but I still had the squeak. So the solution was an overhauled caliper from AlfaShop in Norwich. An exchange calliper was, I think, in the order of 50 quid (you send 'em back the old one). AlfaShop I found gave absolutely excellent service by the way. So hopefully you'll be able to get one for your 166 from them. Good luck anyway...!

cheers,
Roger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.