Status
Not open for further replies.

Why will my GT not sell?!

Tags
sell
30K views 617 replies 91 participants last post by  paul.o 
#1 ·
:confused: I'm really confused as to why my GT won't sell? :rolleyes:

There's nowt wrong with her and I've only had the odd few enquire about it.... I really do feel that I've got it very reasonably priced too?!
If I have to keep it on my drive for another year then so be it, but it's only because I've had a promotion at work (company car on it's way) that I'm looking to sell - RELUCTANTLY!

I've spent a small fortune on her and apart from a slight 'tock tock tock' to the passenger door and minor stone chips (age related and hoping CHIPEX will cure this) there is absolutely nothing wrong! She is bomb proof, sound and is not even halfway through a GT's life span (when looked after like my one that is).

Is it the colour? = Metallic Stromboli Grey
The wheels? = Multi 17"

I really can't for the life of think why this hasn't been tapped up yet? :(
£4,995.00 = FDSH, cambelt/waterpump kit renewed, 72k miles, front & rear discs & pads, new handbrake, IOS PLAY Bluetooth kit, new front left suspension anti-roll brace..... List is endless, maintained regardless and her name is 'LOLA!'

She's starting to feel unwanted and I don't know what else I can do to reassure her that 'it's not her!?' :confused::confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
Which engine is it?

The car market does seem a bit slow at the moment, especially for cars that are a bit interesting.

#3 ·
Which engine is it?
This.

and does it have leather, or reverse sensors? Where are you advertising?

Personally I think you're asking a bit much for that kind of mileage.... (assuming it's a diesel)

but then if you're not in a rush to sell her then you can hold out for the right buyer :)

PS the clicking on the door is probably the check strap: easily fixed (just search door check strap) it's one of those little things that might put someone off..

#14 ·
I picked up my 06 GT on 50k FSH red leather and park sensors. and I paid £5k

I think you'd have a much better chance if you put a leather interior in. I think you're losing a lot of the potential market.

Or maybe you should just keep it and enjoy it :) Surely your company car won't be anywhere near as pretty or as much fun

#6 ·
I think the answer is easy. No leather. Everybody wants leather and they'll disregard anything without it because there are always other cars out there with it. I'd suggest that you buy a leather interior for £200 on ebay and fit it or get it fitted. Your car will sell no problem. There is a nice tan leather on ebay ATM for £200 that would be a lovely colour combo with your Stromboli grey paintwork.

#12 ·
I hear what you're saying but I would have to disagree...... I test drove loads with the leather and initially I thought it was leather I wanted ..... Then this came up?!
Sat in it, took it out and after lots and lots of deliberating with my ownself I decided the Suede Leather (Alcantra?)

Either way, it doesn't get as hot in the hot sun and it doesn't get as cold in the cold winter months, doesn't tear or mark as easy and because it's a hard cloth interior it cleans up just as nice..... ;)

Not all of them have electric heats......

#7 ·
Since when was the JTD bombproof?
In any case I think people seem to have issues sellnig around that price. There are alot of other GT's Hovering around that price and some users on here are also having trouble shifting.

#10 ·
Yeah I hear ya!

I'm in no rush to sell to be honest and I truly believe that the price indicated is a bloody good one; therefore I refuse to sell for a stupidly low price and if it means keeping it on my front lawn in order to ogle from my front window once in a while then so be it?! :cool:

Gorgeous to look at aren't they?! :thumbs:
There are those GT's out there that haven't had the love, care and attention they deserve and fortunately mine isn't one of them ;)

#9 ·
You need to look on autotrader at what else can be had for 5k, you can get a lot of car for that now.
...I recently had to sell my 2006 2.4 159 SW for £5100! with 74k miles on it - like you I spent a fortune on it ...not that a 159 is better than your GT of course, however it is a newer model and buyers only see age + mileage + price. (unless you can find a proper alfa fan to buy it)

selling is a god awful experience and my advice to you would be to KEEP IT :D

#11 ·
unfortunatly unless you get the footfall to view the car in the first place they will never know that.
Price is always key and coughing up 5K in a private sale usually means people are quite a rare amount of buyers in that bracket.

#17 ·
Aye even though leather is a cliche. If I was spending 5K on a car I would want leather. An i wouldnt pay much extra for it either as I'd find out with it.

I bought my 147 without leather seats. An although it was ok I ended up purchasing dome leather for it as it looked better. They also support better.

#24 ·
Hence why taking those parts off and sellnig them seperate is usually the only way to make the money back. Unless you are lazy. Or unless you find a buyer thats willing to pay for those extra's.

most will not as all buyers will want a standard OEM car.

#25 ·
Hear what your saying..... But although mine is priced at £4,995 I am throwing in a full MOT OR a 12 month warranty?
If the buyer would rather the car for less as it is then I'll be only too happy to sell for £4,750 minimum!!!? :wow: low price for this 'Beauty!'

G
#26 ·
I don't think that anyone would disagree with the value but the value and the selling price are buyer related in the sense that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay regardless of value.
Money is very tight for most and the one advantage a dealer has even at a higher price is finance .
There is a big difference in paying out on a monthly basis than in one go !

#28 ·
Found your ad on Autotrader. If you look at all the GTs on there for less than 5K, there are some as good (if not better) than yours for £500 less. If you wanted yours to "stand out", then you need to replace the 4 with a 3.

Whether you like leather or not, most people want it. I've just replaced that Alfatex interior in my project GT with Tan leather and it looks far better. Alfatex is dark and morgue like (same goes for black leather).

The market for this car is also pretty narrow. It is not a sensible family car, it is a reasonably practical GT - so more "disposable income" than "necessary transport". That market is hurting right now.

It is a crying shame that these cars are worth peanuts - I still can't comprehend that my 156 V6 is worth about £500 with similar mileage, but that's the market.

#29 ·
OUCH!

I've looked and there are also some going for considerably more.... I've looked on every Auto advertising there is and I'd say mine was in the middle - There's no way my car is worth ONLY £3,995 :tut:
I'm happy to sell mine for just £4,750 as it is, but with the offering of a 12 month piece of mind and what with all that work having already been carried out plus all that service history I believe it to be a good deal, regardless of whether I'm the owner or not?!
Like people have been stating, the market is shocking and unless I'm wanting to trade it in I know I'll struggle to sell.... Ho hum! :confused:

Looks like I'll be tweaking and tuning for the next year or so, while it sits there on my front lawn for me to 'ogle!'?! :thumbs::cool:

#30 ·
I don't understand how you can offer a warrenty on a private sale?
Maybe I am being a bit of a numpty?

I personally couldnt stump up for a a 5K car. Even if I did have 5K it would be a GTA.

But i'm sure its a lovely example with all the correct history and everything going for it.
However GT's are not short on the adverts at the moment.

Price is everything.

#37 · (Edited)
It covers everything...

Gearbox, clutch, just about everything that breaks down mechanically....
Bloody good if you ask me.... But then if I'm willing to pay that price from £4,995 then I think it's worth it... Show me links where this is being offered on other GT's?!

You can't, that's why they're cheaper.
I'm happy to sell mine for less without it of course.... Whether its better or worse than others... Not really sure you can say better without taking it for test ride etc?! :0/

We all know what the suspensions like on these for starters!? ;)
Something else that's been done on my GT.... ;)

#33 ·
What the car is worth to you and what somebody else is prepared to risk on it are two very different things. Your car might be the best looked after GT in the country, but all the buyer has to go on is a fistful of receipts and looking for the odd rattle or squeak on a test drive.

Unfortunately, you can't judge whether you have priced your item correctly by other advertisements. You don't know how many have sold, how quickly or what the final agreed price was. The only thing you can say for certain is that if it doesn't sell, you're probably asking too much...

I've often heard it said that you often lose out twice when you change cars: once because you have to price the car favourably to make the sale attractive, and secondly because you will undoubtedly inherit either repair costs or lose a few grand driving a new car off the forecourt. Since you can discount the latter, I would personally take the former on the chin rather than keep my money tied up in a rapidly depreciating asset.

#34 ·
When you say that others on AT are going for more than your asking price - do you mean they are actually selling for more or people are asking more? The two aren't the same thing.

Whatever you think your car is worth - it's only going in one direction while it sits there waiting to sell.

I had a 2006/55 plate JTDM, a little under your miles, met black with red leather, good history, new clutch and dmf, good exterior condition. I took 4500 in px though I was happy with the deal overall. Dealer now has my old one up at 5500 I think and they'll no doubt end up being haggled down.

#35 ·
I've looked and there are also some going for considerably more.... I've looked on every Auto advertising there is and I'd say mine was in the middle - There's no way my car is worth ONLY £3,995
I said if you want it to stand out, replace the 4 with a 3. As in, you put the ad in, next day you get 3 calls, day after that, cash is in your hand. If I was buying a GT, there are several at 4500 that are better than yours. One has lower mileage and leather.

Your car is worth only what the market will pay for it. At the moment, the market is telling you that it isn't worth £4995. Next move is yours.

G
#438 ·
not bothered reading the numerous posts, just noticed this thread still running, but un surprisingly not sold.

quote is from July 15th.

wonder what price you'll be down to by next july :D

no, seriously. i hope the lady sees it and buys it.

for everyones sake.

:lol:

#39 ·
I don't think you can post links from autotrader, but a few ideas:

How about this:

£3,995Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTDM 16V 2DR SORRY NO OFFERS!!! 2006

Very similar mileage to yours, same age, red leather.

Is this a warranty you've bought (as buyer, I find commercial warranties pretty much useless), or are you underwriting it yourself (i.e. if the engine blows up, I get my money back)

#48 ·
Although you say you're 'listening', I don't think you really are.

You are viewing the concept of leather seats the way you want to see it, and not the way the vast majority of the market sees it. The vast majority of the market wants leather. Pure and simple.

You've posted this thread asking for advice, and members have given it. Prolonging it this way without taking advice is strange at the very least. But at worst you're just wasting everyone's time.
In a previous quote I mentioned the fact I'll probably end up keeping it and get it remapped, new exhaust and perhaps add tan leather... So no, I don't see these posts as wasting people's time.... Sure others might also find these posts interesting and will take plenty from it also!?!

#41 ·
I was having a browse yesterday and came across yours, honestly speaking (and of course this is my opinion only) the 12 month warranty thing actually put me off, it almost stands as 'over confidence to the point of trying to hide something'. I know I am being extremely cynical but that is what the market is like at the moment! To a lot of people the 12 month warranty from a private sale won't add up. Is a cracking example mind (y)

But as someone mentioned earlier it's a saturated market and a slow one, especially for 'interesting cars' so the ball is in the buyers court, not the sellers unfortunately.

#49 ·
Thank you for this post.
I did wonder whether it might put people off and I'll be sure to somehow change my adverts in a way without being over confident....
I see what you're saying, but it's only cos I'm receiving a company car I'm looking to sell....
Cars served me really well and everything that's had to be done has been done regardless.
Perhaps I'll just say 12 months piece of Mind if required or something?!

Thanks for that, as this is exactly the sort of thing I was after....
Appreciate everyone's input ;)

#43 ·
I agree.

Even more reason to provide the spec the market wants.

GT leather interiors can be found quite cheaply:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-GT-Blue-Leather-Trim-Seats-Door-Cards-Arm-Rest-/281132869651?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4174d32813

This breaker just outside Birmingham is very helpful and friendly, and always seems to do a deal cheaper than the price advertised.
With the leather interior, I do think there is a genuine market that specifically does NOT want leather mind, when I bought my 147 I looked especially for cloth seats because at the time I didn't think searingly hot leather in the summer was worth it. Alas, now the next car I buy will have a leather interior because I think it looks nicer, even if it burns you in the 3 weeks of summer we have!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.