Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Back to a 159. Maybe. Few questions

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  cloverleaf159 
#1 ·
hi guys, flirting with the idea of getting a 159 again but this time a 1750 tbi ti spec as opposed to the 2.4 jtdm ti i sold a few years ago. fancy a petrol version

a few questions though.

did alfa have xenons as standard on a 2011 car or were they still an option. i ask as i just had to do a hid upgrade on my original car.

also the car has half leather, half cloth seats? never seen that on a 159, normally full leather, is that correct or is it not a genuine uk car?

then you guys with the tbi engine. Alfa says 4 years or 63,000 miles for first cambelt change but are you guys doing it at 3 years rather than the 4. car has done 45,000 miles.

cheers for any help

i might be back in an alfa again

#3 ·
Our September '11 Ti (albeit a 2.0 diesel) has halogen lights and no headlight wash system so xenons were likely an option.

Half leather/half cloth seats would be correct.

#4 ·
yeah, silly me, headlamp washers would give the game away... it doesnt have them.

anybody who had experience of an early 159 and a later one say the headlamps improved on later models ( i couldnt believe how poor the originals were) , or would i still be worth doing an hid conversion kit

#5 ·
Hi,

Hope you get one and enjoy it as much as I am since our purchase last Sept.

Our 2011 has half and half leather/alcantara (and no red alfa logo on the seats. It's there but embossed)

Ours has aftermarket HIDS, never drove it without them but I reckon they are worth it.

I am going to get cambelt done at second service 42K/3.5 years.

Also advice on here is to change oil every 10k miles, and use correct spec oil eg Alfa Romeo 159 1.75 Tbi (200hp) Selenia Sport Power 5W40 (5Ltr)
Apparently the oil spec changed after a few turbo issues, and I think the capacity is about 5.5 litres although the handbook says 4.75!

Alf.

#8 · (Edited)
What sort of test drive..? Not that you'd be able to have one that lasts a month but I'd say it took me a few weeks to fully get used to it in lower gears.

Do try the 'going at 65mph in 6th and putting your foot down' thing to get a sense of the useful power that the engine can deiliver.

As I'm lucky enough to also drive a Busso v6 (when the missus allows) I can say there is a similarity between the engines in the feeling you get. (edit to add: the sound is completely different, or as some say 'disappointing')

The 1750 is a little more delicate below 1700 revs (till the turbo gets going) and it needs a bit more care in gear changing to excitingly 'launch it' from standstill...but once you've cracked it.... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.