m stands for. ???????

Tags
stands
3K views 48 replies 20 participants last post by  David C 
#1 ·
On a 159 2.4 jdtm. . what does the m stand for I thought multi valve ? Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Multi jet.
Up to 8 individual fuel injections per injector per cycle per cylinder if I remember correctly.

Edit:- Remember it slightly wrong, it's 7 individual fuel injections.

#8 ·
Sorry but AlexGS is correct. Done to death in the 147/156/gt lounges years ago. Jtd badges were all variants of the 1.9 - 8v & 16v, Alfa revised the 16 valver in about 2006 if memory serves by uprating injectors and lowering co2 at the time and as such the jtd "modifica" or jtdm was born :)

#10 · (Edited)
No not Modifica - the latest engines are not modifica II are they?

From Alfa Workshop

"The JTD has evolved into the JTDm, where "m" stands for multi jet. While this is also a common rail diesel it runs at slightly higher injection pressures than the original JTD and also has four valves per cylinder which are operated by twin overhead camshafts, this aids volumetric efficiency, the second camshaft being gear driven off the end of the first. The JTDm's major advance however came with the injectors, these can inject 10 times faster than the JTD's injectors and this allows them to inject fuel multiple times per power stroke of the engine. "

Give the prize back to Coxy1! lol :lol:

#13 ·
Did the badging not go

JTD, JTD M-jet and then JTDm.

At the end of the day who really cares ?
My M stands for More fun than most :D

#14 ·
Yes, technically the Jtd, which was the first common rail engine in a car, was called Unijet. Fiat invented and patented common rail injection, then sold the patent to old Bobby Bosch.

M-jet, the first M, came on 4 valve engines(156 147 gt) then later, as the complexity of the pulses increased, they all became multijet2's the 4 valve ones now being differentiated by a red M, the 2 valve ones with a silver M

So yes, you are right its MULTIJET.

#16 ·
So is it nothing to do with BMW? I was under the impression I was buying an M spec Alfa Romeo, I've always wondered why the steering wheel hasn't got an M badge on it.. Might have to sell it now. Same thing happened to me when I was buying a Montego MG, some sneaky bugger sold me a Merc AMG, when I pulled him on it, he said 'well it is A MG'. I got my money back, no way was I having a Merc AMG over a Montego.

#22 ·
NPT is the County. It's idyllic for the most part. Very happy here. Not too sure what you are getting at?

I'm also very happy with my V6 (well both of them, actually) & unlike you, I've not thrown £1000's at the engine trying to achieve this happiness or attempting to turn it into something it's not. Silk Purse, Sows ear springs to mind......no matter how hard you try, you can't.

As for Modifica, that's a name I coined when the whole Mangoletsi debacle kicked off.

#23 · (Edited)
Oooooohhh !
Not nice when its on the other foot is it now !

You spend so much time putting down the diesels and not contributing anything useful to the forum that I thought you of all people would understand that if it was not for the diesel, Alfa Romeo as a marque would not be here ! Explain to us all again why you are no longer a moderator and have had to purchase your way in to the forum.

It really does ask the question when a AROC Director continually puts down the diesel side of the Alfa Romeo forum as to why we pay our subscriptions, for nothing in return. I accept that you have next to no understanding, acument or appreciation of any engineering principals what so ever so have and no concept of what I or others are striving to achieve.

As for what I have spent is a poor argument ! Again I appreciate that you have next to no engineering acument, so therefore don't appreciate that you have wasted more on fuel than my modifications have cost.

As they used to say I'll put my car against yours any day. Catch me if you can ! :p

#27 ·
In this case, a poor selection of underwhelming petrol models is the main reason there are so many Jtdm cars on the road, alfa doesn't do big fleet numbers.

If you look at the mito, the petrols are better....and sell more, same with giulietta, where the diesel is also less common.

#30 ·
I think the dealerships like to upsell/scare people into buying the more expensive diesel models that they don't need

e.g. the Giulietta - looking at the 2011 cars for sale - over two thirds are diesels

But then you look at the average annual mileage :

Petrol 10,000
Diesel 9,700

#31 ·
There has been a lot of that. People directed to buying Diesels when a Petrol would have been far better suited to them and would have cost them a lot less overall too. Loads of little MiTo Diesels sold to people that would only ever use them around town, so they never regen'd and ended up with a sump full of Diesel (and those 1.3 Diesels don't have much oil in them...).
The tax reason doesn't wash as a reason for buying Diesels now either, plenty of low tax (even zero tax) Petrols around.

#32 ·
I've spent the last couple of days trying to tell my brother in law not to buy a diesel for his town driving. Even the dealer has told him to buy petrol, but he's totally brainwashed that he's going to get 60+ MPG. At the minute my diesel isn't too nice to drive around town, can never find the right gear, hoping the remap will smooth all that out. I bought the 2.4 diesel largely for the power, but also decent fuel economy and lowish tax band. Only other option would've been a 3.2, but 2 x 3.2's, both on highest tax band and poor MPG would've drained me. Alfa just didn't have another petrol engined 159 that I would've wanted.

#33 ·
I usually take the pith out of diesels in Italian cars. Always have, always will. They are just not for me, personally.

But I respect people's choices. If it helps, I get the pith taken out of me for driving an Alfa with a "Vauxhall" engine.

What I find tough to grasp is Coxys somewhat vigorous attempt at a defence, which brought my place of abode and position in AROC into question (amongst other things).

My views are my own and looking around the AROC board, I think I'm now one of two petrol drivers. Very much in the minority so clearly not a representative view.

#34 ·
I drive both, and you have taken the pith on many occasion Si, but all good natured and no offence ever taken.

I have never actually met you but would certainly defend you as an individual and a genuine, hard working, Alfisti.

Don't let one person's disjointed view upset you mate.

#35 ·
The only reason I bought a diesel was the lack of petrol alternatives. With an aggressive remap and the tea strainers removed from the exhaust it now goes like it should and is okish on fuel.

Oh, and it just happens to be the best looking family car this side of a Quattroporte.

I also love the banter from those in petrol cars, it's a shame when it goes OTT though. We should always look to protect the slowly dying species called Alfisiti....

#36 ·
I'm not really a huge Diesel fan but bought a 2.4 for most of the reasons above. I don't really like the 4,500 rpm redline and lack of a petrol engine sound, but if we're honest Gents, the 159 is heavy and as mentioned the petrols don't make good financial sense. I've got 200+bhp and can still almost get 40mpg, you can't really knock it.

I'd love this car to be lighter and have a screamer of a petrol engine that isn't a drinker though.

#48 ·
Modifica is Italian for modification...????
Wow I would never have got that one, even with google translate on ;)

So the original gt/147/156 with the 1.9 jtd all with 150 bhp were not multijet by your logic.

When launched they were badged as 1.9 JTD M-Jet 16v,
Then when modified slightly they shortened it to 1.9 JTDm 16v

I am typing this looking at the two sales tech data sheets that the dealer gave me showing the nominal difference in engine when Alfa did the badge change.
BOTH are multijet, one is higher co2 than the other, this us defo why the m appeared.

Anyway as someone once said you guys ain't for the turning so happy days and happy new year to all, free of eml regardless of fuel type or colour combinations!!

#49 ·
I am typing this looking at the two sales tech data sheets that the dealer gave me showing the nominal difference in engine when Alfa did the badge change.
BOTH are multijet, one is higher co2 than the other, this us defo why the m appeared.
Yes very slight change in spec..... with no change in power output..... the kind of change in emissions you'd get from pumping the tyres to a higher pressure for the official tests..... ( ;) )

Think it just about moved it into a lower tax bracket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.