Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Red LED centre console downlighter??

23K views 213 replies 37 participants last post by  saintetienne 
#1 ·
I had a rented Punto awhile back and it had one of these red LED's that shines down from the roof light and lights up the gear lever/handbrake area with a sort of eerie red glow. I see the light fitting in the roof is exactly the same on my facelift 147 but I don't have the red glowing effect. Should I have it and its just not working? If not how difficult is it to add??

#3 ·
I'd wager its very easy, standard fitment on BMW's and now Audi's, you could easily drill a couple of holes, pop a couple of LED's in there and wire it into the lighting circuit.

In my opinion they are worth it too, not distracting and gives enough light to work out where reverse gear is when swapping between cars in the dark.

Bobs yer uncle.

#9 ·
If it helps, I know my Mum's Golf (it's on a 57 plate, Mark V?) has LED downlighting and I recall that the first generation of Vauxhole vectras had them as well. Quite a wierd phenomenon when you first experience it as it's not always obvious where the light comes from!

#11 ·
Just had a look in the MiTo and found that the light has a little extra wiring. The car has blue&me so the set on the left is for the microphone I'd assume and the other small connector on the right is the LED's? Do you know what they are wired into? See the picture link below. (For some reason IMG code won't work and I can't upload it to AO)

The light unit is the same size.

#12 ·
Hmm interesting just emailed motorvouge in northampton with regards to the punto part can you get a picture of the unit inplace :)

#23 ·
In the MiTo/147/GT they are the same with regards to dimensions, they just look different. We also have a spider with LED down lighting but its a different unit so this would be the same for the Brera. Not sure what the Giulietta's is like though.

will be buying one of these cheers benny147
And thats ok. I'm looking out for one too :) Post in here when you fit/wire it up as I'd be interested.

#24 ·
#31 ·
Part ordered, problem i have is when the Audi sidelights are turned on the roof switches glow in other words they have a current , now my 147 roof lights dont have this so im going to take a bulb out and use that particular switch to turn the ambient light on/off instead of the bulb its supposed to light,and use its terminals...maybe this will work otherwise its buy the original part at a high cost or wait for a second hand part to come up..and im very impatient :) or take a wire from somewhere that there's a current when the sidelights get turned on, maybe from the center console and feed the wire all the way up witch sounds like a pain.

#205 ·
... so im going to take a bulb out and use that particular switch to turn the ambient light on/off instead of the bulb its supposed to light, and use its terminals..
Thought this would do the trick finally but the LEDs go out after about ten seconds when they drain the capacitors. Its like they can't draw power through the circuit on their own. They go on when the bulbs are on and then for ten secs after but not on their own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.