Alfa Romeo Forum banner

whiney clutch..

Tags
clutch whiney
959 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Andy P 
#1 ·
hi all,

last few weeks or so my clutch has started making a slightly metallic high pitched whine - not very loud but i notice it, a passenger or other driver would not.

its most noticeable when u stick a cog in then let the clutch out, it starts quite high pitch then dips slightly.

main point is though that the biting point hasn't changed, it still is as heavy as ever and doesn't feel in anyway different to normal.

do i need a new clutch? :rolleyes:

G
#4 ·
Ahh, that's the opposite to what I understood in your first post....is it making the noise when you press the pedal in? If so, it could be the release bearing.

If it's when you release the pedal it could be gearbox.

If it is indeed clutch squeal it could be the rivets starting to make contact I guess, or even contamination...

wrinx

#6 ·
hmm a release bearing eh? this sounds more like it.. ive driven cars with sh0t clutches before and it doesn't feel like that, but yes it's whenever the clutch is depressed, but it's most noticeable when you are letting it out after a change as the whine starts high pitch then lowers.

#11 ·
Andy P said:
wicked thanks guys - is this easy to replace ?
The same amount of work is required to replace the whole clutch - which it would be silly not to do seeing as you're there. Depending where you go this should cost £4-500 all in.

Had the same problem myself at 45k - clutch was fine but bearing sounded like a jet turbine when in use.

Paul.

#12 ·
crap - really ?!?!

am i damaging anything by leaving it? altho it does sound awful sometimes, i wasnt quite ready to chuck another £500 at the thing.

( was actually trying to find a 3.2v6 phase3 to part ex is against :D )

#15 ·
wrinx said:
Ahh, that's the opposite to what I understood in your first post....is it making the noise when you press the pedal in? If so, it could be the release bearing.
thanks wrinx, excellent diagnosis (from a crap explanation of symptoms).. booked in for the morning. mid-2002 with 55k I would have hoped it lasted slightly longer but oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.