Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Buying 156.....what to look for ???

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  marlon 
G
#1 ·
after years of driving 155's I've decided to get a 156.

I'm looking at a V6. Also about to buy a GTV for fun.

The 155 needed the front wishies etc checked...is there anything I should look for on the 156 ???

cheers

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Check this site out - helped me buy mine!

Alfa Romeo 156 Review @ The Alfa Workshop

Can appear a bit daunting, but normal owner / service history stuff, plus 156 specialities like bushes all round, cam belt/s and tensioners, and water pumps, radiators, spark plugs (c.£60 to change all 8 for proper ones :eek:), tyres (they tend to be sensitive to tyre choice and is a subject of much discussion!, but they can be worn through in anything between 5,000 and 20,000 miles! There are quite a few items to lookout for, but hopefully the link above is a link and is helpful

Good luck :)

James

G
#4 ·
cheers. know all about belts, plugs, tyre discussion from my 155 days.

The V6 plugs are cheaper (much cheaper) than the 16v platinum jobbies. Owned both engined 155's along with an 8v which is now a track car ;)

G
#6 ·
Thanks Roswell. I'm keeping clear of them anyway. Prefer a big manly stick to play with ;)

The 156 has some sort of trick front suspension compared to the 155 and apparently top wishies ?? are a pain to change.....

#7 ·
I think I've read on here that the top wishbones are relatively easy to change, it's the bottom ones that are a pain.

I paid about £65 for the parts and another £70 (2 hours labour) to have them fitted.

G
#8 ·
OK...the 155 bones were a bit tricky basically 'cos they are a c*nt to line the bolt holes up. Then it's a barsteward to get the balljoint pin into the hub.....I've had plenty of practice so shouldn't be a problem ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.