Alfa Romeo Forum banner

GTV 2.0l Alternator Regulator

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Baacow 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I've been out of Alfas for a while, so thought it was time to get Alfa number 7, which was ace, till it conked out on the M62, no big deal, it's the alternator, and it makes no noise so I reckon it's the brushes/regulator, I want to try just changing this in situ, so, does anyone have the correct part number for it, and any advice?

Cheers!

Sam

#2 ·
Try to get a number from the alternator, usually there is a plate of some kind. Is it bosch, marelli? On some types you can change brushes alone while on the other whole regulator assembly is changed complete with brushes. But this being your 7th Alfa you know that already.

#3 ·
I don't think you can change the brushes without t taking the alternator out. Not sure about the regulator but from memory, I had to split the alternator to get to the regulator and even then I tried to find the regulator online and couldn't quite find the right part

#4 · (Edited)
I changed the alternator on my 2.0TS -97 due to an unstable regulator. It was a Marelli unit and there's no way you can change the regulator without removing the alternator, if you'r not an octopussy. Changing the alternator is also a pain in the a**. Took me a whole day. You need to remove either the exhaust and a beam under the engine, or go from above and remove the inlet manifold.

For the Marelli alternator, if I remember correctly, you can't get the regulator as a sparepart from Alfa Romeo, but there are after market regulators on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-VOLT-M...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45ebbadb1a

Attachments

#5 ·
Ah brilliant, thank you all for your help, two things though, I am a useless commentator, I actually meant the brushes, but because some have them as a combined thingummy I assumed all did. Secondly, my previous Alfas were a variety of Alfetta GTVs and 33s, so nothing this modern, did Alfa still go in for the delightful mix and match of suppliers components that they used to? Some with Magneti Morelli, some with Bosch, used to be carbs from Solex, Weber or Dellorto too on the Alfetta!

Anyway, I have resigned myself to the method of climing down through the top of the engine to find the alternator, will let you know.

I have to say, I think this GTV is a sparkling car, a really really good drive, I was still smiling even with the AA van following me home swapping batteries as needed!

Sam
:)

#6 · (Edited)
did Alfa still go in for the delightful mix and match of suppliers components that they used to? Some with Magneti Morelli, some with Bosch, used to be carbs from Solex, Weber or Dellorto too on the Alfetta!
Sam
:)
Of course! It's called a "Napoli Special"....there are 3 types of v6 engines with subtle differences and some not so subtle on the 916 range.

Phase1 twinspark engines and Phase2 don't share the same ecu (not on a 145 anyway), they have a plastic inlet manifold, different thermostat, different camshaft sensors...I seem to recall there are very subtle differences between Phase1 and Phase1 engines and you could even get different TRW airbag ecus.

The 145 boxer even has a GM ecu (Called Rochester) with a Becker Airbag Ecu

"Napoli special" - Alfa at its best!

#7 ·
Well said, this above. Especially for boxer engined 145/6. 1.3 (not sold in Uk as far as I know) had Magneti Marelli ecu. 1.6 had Rochester, and 1.7 had Bosch motronic :) Regarding the original question, in my opinion the best way to access the alternator on a 2 litre gtv is to remove inlet manifold. Could take best part of a day first time you do it, after you become more familiar it goes off within an hour. Once alternator sits on a bench/table in front of you it is matter of finding the correct regulator or brushes and replacing them. Keep us posted please .

#8 ·
Once alternator sits on a bench/table in front of you it is matter of finding the correct regulator or brushes and replacing them. Keep us posted please .
I am pretty sure you will have to "split it" - if so you will need some way of stopping the alternator from spinning. I used an old aux belt tightly coiled around the pulley and clamped and then used an electric impact gun to wizz it free. Without the gun, I feel that you may need a "go-through" socket like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOCKET-SE...601?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c115f7419 so that you can hold the pulley and take the nut off.

#9 ·
Many thanks everyone, I'm sprinting this weekend so will sort it out to climb into the engine bay from above next week. I presume I am going to consume gaskets along the way also. Sounds like it's not a simple job once you get your hands on the alternator either, but here we go!

Cheers,

Sam

#11 ·
Check out the price of a reconditioned alternator (e.g from Halfords). The re-manufacturers use a second-hand frame and body etc. (but cleaned up as new..) then fit new windings and all now regulator/rectifier etc. components.

I have a "Lucas" body and "Marelli" frame in Titch.. the Younger Mrs S. Cinquecento ... and apart from those were obviously not "new" (even though external appearance is as new) the rest of the alternator effectively is.

It'd be a pity if you go to all that trouble of getting a new reg' ... then just to fit it to "old" components that might also be a bit weedy and pack up in 2 months' time.

For Titch, the regulator cost the same as the recon' alternator (with a new regulator attached.. go figure) so it was a no-brainer.. :D

Ralf S.

#12 ·
Hi All,
Thanks for all the help and advice, I have dismantled my way in through the top of the car to get to it, all pretty straightforward, apart from that pair of 15mm bolts underneath! Gahhhhhh.
Anyhow, the alternator looks like it's sat in the N. Sea for years so will do an exchange unit with somewhere that doesn't look too hard, but the most dissappointing fact is that it is missing the wheelarch inspection cover, hence all the road crud being flung about.

Has anyone got a spare I could buy to fit, I think this is why the alternator has had a much harder time than it deserves and I'd like to give it the longest life possible!

Cheers, cool runnings,

Sam

#14 ·
Just done mine, bugger of a job, went in from underneath, removing front exhaust section.
a (good) exchange unit from GSF cost me £145 +vat, pricey for an alternator, but I guess that is Alfa's for you.
Mine also had failed with no noise, and surprisingly with no charge light on! probably was brushes, but once I had it removed, I tried to remove the brush/regulator assy but realised you had to split the body of the altenator , so decided to go for a new unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.