Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Negotiating my purchase

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  mikeyw 
#1 ·
I'm about to buy my GT (1.9JTD) after 2 years of lusting and saving...

Any tips on negotiating the deal? So far I've been offered a discount and 1st service for free... can I realisticaly ask for anything else? How far can a dealer go with the discount?

Cheers, Steve

#4 ·
use it as a barganing point for a decent discount, say you really want the car, but with the sensors and don't want to wait 3 months so you are thinking of looking elsewhere for one available now that has them, if he thinks you are going to walk you will get a better discount.:D

#5 ·
Yep, I guess the key to it is to convince him I will walk unless I get the discount I want. Of course there is a limit to the discount he can give me off the list price. I was wondering if anyone knew what the realistic limit on a discount would be? £1,500, £2K or more perhaps?

#6 ·
Have a look at what the big brokers such as broadspeed will offer for the same car. If it's a UK car at the right spec then why pay more from the dealer? They won't treat you any differently as an ongoing customer - they make as much from servicing as car sales and want your business either way.

If you want to buy from the dealer, show him the pricing the car supermarkets and brokers will offer and see what he'll do. I know people who've got up to £5k off new alfas from dealers, albeit they were very persistent and the models in question were unpopular and long in the tooth at the time. Tell him you think the GT might be dropped for the Brera...

#7 ·
have you tried smart alfa dot co dot uk?

they got some nice discounts up to 5-6k give you a bit of ammo!!! hehe!!! seems that smart alfa are on the blocked list on the forum :S

#8 ·
ElTigro_UK said:
have you tried smart alfa dot co dot uk?

they got some nice discounts up to 5-6k give you a bit of ammo!!! hehe!!! seems that smart alfa are on the blocked list on the forum :S
I've looked at Smart Alfa... the prices are good, but then a search of the forums here and elsewhere seemed to indicate they are not worth the hassle... The deal I've got on the table is about £1K more than smart alfa are offering, but I'm totaly put off by what I've read about them.

#9 ·
I got 3K off mine and a cd changer at Simonstone in Bristol, best thing to do is play 1 dealer against another. When I was pushing for the discount the dealer tried to make me wait a few days for an answer.When out of the blue I got a call from a dealer in Stoke that broadspeed.com had given my No to, funily enough when I told Simonstone that the other dealer was going to get back to me in 1/2 an hour he put me on hold and then agreed to it straight away. After 10 min`s umm`in and ahh`in they then agreed to throw in the cd changer as well.;)

#13 ·
Platts were pushing a pre-reg GT JTDm with leather, met, winter pack, and 17" for less than 20k - I expect they'd do a new (stock) one for the same. If you are a good negotiator I expect a sub 19k deal is possible on the same spec - Mangoletsi claim to match supermarkets and importers...

#18 ·
I was after a Jtd with metallic, leather , 17''. The best qoute I got was £19.7K from the dealer in Stoke mentioned above. Eventually took a gamble and ordered a black one, red leather plus all the goodies from Smart Alfa, delivery mid July (£19,995).
Seems like there were a load of GT's in stock in the last few months, so they had the free leather offer. Now the margins have been tightened up and the really cheap deals are a bit harder to find.
I've seen all the negative (and the couple of positive) posts on Smart Alfa, so I'll let you know how I get on.
Paid deposit with credit card, so not much risk up front.
Cheers,
Andy

#20 · (Edited)
Picked my 3.2 V6 GT up in metallic black with red leather and 18" alloys for 22,000 from Veloces in North London on a 55 plate with 80 miles, yep only 80 !! on the clock and 2yrs 10months left of alfa UK warranty haven't seen tug nor tail of the AA cover though ! :(

good deal, but a few niggles with the car, dunno if I could recommend going back there, buy a car from them but erh, yeah they told me UK cars have something disconnected from the alarm, thats why it makes two beeps when you arm it, contrary to the advice I'd had from evey other alfa owner with a UK GT I've spoken to, then again on price they couldn't be beaten . . . and erh, well I didn't entirely have the most enjoyable buying experience then again they do sell themselves !

Check out veloces they're not as bad as I've made it sound above then again, Im sure others will be able to comment more effectively on them, large part might just be down to me being 23 or so and me not being taken seriously as a buyer, quite understandable I guess !

#21 ·
helloclouds said:
I was after a Jtd with metallic, leather , 17''. The best qoute I got was £19.7K from the dealer in Stoke mentioned above. Eventually took a gamble and ordered a black one, red leather plus all the goodies from Smart Alfa, delivery mid July (£19,995).
Seems like there were a load of GT's in stock in the last few months, so they had the free leather offer. Now the margins have been tightened up and the really cheap deals are a bit harder to find.
I've seen all the negative (and the couple of positive) posts on Smart Alfa, so I'll let you know how I get on.
Paid deposit with credit card, so not much risk up front.
Cheers,
Andy
This was a cracking deal i'd seen advertsied. I wasn't bothered about all the extra's and got a new one for quite a bit less than this with 17 & leather from a local dealer....I think the deal was a one off and be surprised if anyone could get a new one under £19K with this spec now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.