Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Wither a 147 GTA?

Tags
gta wither
2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  tse_adam 
#1 ·
Thinking of replacing my W reg 156 Sele (which, surprisingly, has been an excellent and reliable car from new).

I've road tested a Golf GTI DSG (quite impressive if a little boring. DSG is generally better than Selespeed except for the intrusive computer which won't let you do what YOU want), a Mk5 Golf R32 (much more a driver's car than the GTI. Better ride and handling too, though at 1600kg not much faster) and a 2 year old 147 GTA (Mad, wild, beast with a super engine but with a mind of its own, and crappy brakes).

A few questions:
1. Is a GTA a useable proposition for an everyday driver, or is it just too hardcore to live with?

2. Is GTA braking considered to be just for woosies and not really necessary? Does the brake upgrade (referred to elsewhere on this forum I think) cure the problem? Or should I not have approached the double bend at 125 mph in the first place? (Well, you can't see the speedo very clearly can you!).

3. Would I be better contemplating a GT V6 to enjoy the engine without killing meself and the missus?

4. Do I just need to be a little braver? :confused:

Answers on a postcard - sorry via this thread please!

Geoff

See less See more
#2 ·
jowettgeoff said:
Or should I not have approached the double bend at 125 mph in the first place?

:lol: Any excuse hey!?! :lol:

Go on, buy the GTA, scare the pants off you and your mrs - You only live once... :D

#4 ·
Get the GTA. I do 20k + miles a year and I have a ..GTA, its a great place to be.

No probs with the brakes, altho I have a late car so have the big (Ferrari) brakes fitted. Will poss find out when I do a track day in it.

I like you had a number of cars on my shopping list including Focus RS (I am a mad Ford fan), evo's scoobies, Type r civic, and the alfa wwon hands down.

Also I like to be different, and stand out in a crowd, which the GTA does with out a doubt.

go on enjoy, let yr heart rule yr head ;-)

Mark

PS have a peek in the GT/GTA section if you have any more questions

#6 ·
The 330mm (big brake upgrade) on the GTA is far superior to the Golf GTIs brakes, they will outbrake most cars on a trackday.

And If thats not enough for you simply replace the standard discs pads when they wear out with cross drilled/grooved discs and upgraded pads [DS-2500 or DS-Perf, AP Galfer].

For a couple of extra quid you could get get braided brake pipes and the brake feel is truely superb then.

The GTI is reputed (by more than one review I have read) to be somewhat "underbraked", its quite a heavy beastie.
Can't remember the size of the Golfs discs, approx 310mm I think, and the calipers look much smaller.

I don't think the GTA would be too hard core by any stretch, my wife didn't mind driving mine at all.

The Golf GTI would have much better body control on poor roads though, and really is quite a good smoothie.

Cheers,
TB

#7 ·
Geoff,

The 147 GTA is very much a driver's car, but not too hardcore to live with as an everyday drive. All of my passengers so far have loved it.(including my wife who has not previously appreciated my "spirited/urgent" driving style).

It certainly has a unique character but not exactly a mind of its own. It's a very tactile machine; handling is very precise & predictable, and with the 330mm brake upgrade it carves off speed very effectively.

I havn't yet driven a GT V6 but from road test reports I believe it to be a much softer option.

So ask yourself..... Do you need a very quick but civilized hyper-sports hatch?..... Do you need a brisk but soft GT car? ..... Or do you just need to be a little braver??

Martin.

#8 ·
jowettgeoff said:
1. Is a GTA a useable proposition for an everyday driver, or is it just too hardcore to live with?
Yep, its not hardcore at all, just quick when you want it to be

jowettgeoff said:
2. Is GTA braking considered to be just for woosies and not really necessary? Does the brake upgrade (referred to elsewhere on this forum I think) cure the problem? Or should I not have approached the double bend at 125 mph in the first place? (Well, you can't see the speedo very clearly can you!).
Stock brakes are fine provided they don't warp, even with stock brakes the 147GTA outbreaks most others in the autocar 0-100-0 test.

jowettgeoff said:
3. Would I be better contemplating a GT V6 to enjoy the engine without killing meself and the missus?
both are pretty much as quick as each other really the GT beinga touch slower but it will have very similar charactoeristics, best bet is to drive both and see what you like, there is considerable price difference for not very much difference in the car, used to annoy me when most people used to mistake my 147GTA for a stock twinspark as in isolation its just a nice Alfa hatchback, no doubt as the 147 on its own looked pretty good and the GTA chnages are pretty subtle to all but trainspotters whereas with the GT its a coupe and looks the part even when its a diesel both are compromised cars with class.

jowettgeoff said:
4. Do I just need to be a little braver? :confused:
The GTA is a pussycat most of the time if you don't drive it well it will be your driving causing issue rather than the car, it has very smooth power delivery coming on strong towards the end of rev range, just hold on tight if it scares you close your eyes :p or buy a 1.2 grande Punto ;)

G
#10 ·
I have got the 156GTA with the smaller 305mm brakes. While I would prefer to have the bigger brakes, they do the job well in everyday use although you don't get much feedback from them. I'd go for it, the GTA is my only car and you don't HAVE to drive it hard all the time and taken easy it gets pretty good fuel returns.

Like Troll I had looked at other options including Civic Type-R, Leon CupraR and it had to be a GTA, you NEED that V6 ;)

#11 ·
Thanks guys for all the feedback (and the humour!). It's good to know that a GTA can be a pussy cat or a tiger, and the larger brakes would seem to cure the probs I experienced with the test car. Incidentally, part of the test drive involved us chugging slowly up a hill behind a queue of traffic (my son was driving at this point). I commented that the car was quite docile in 3rd gear at that speed, only to be informed that it was in fact in 5th! Amazing tractability.

Despite this, I'd almost convinced myself that the R32 was the answer to all my problems, but having read all the above, I'm swinging t'other way now.
Must try a newer GTA, and also a GT.

Thanks again...

Geoff

#13 ·
jowettgeoff said:
Thanks guys for all the feedback (and the humour!). It's good to know that a GTA can be a pussy cat or a tiger, and the larger brakes would seem to cure the probs I experienced with the test car. Incidentally, part of the test drive involved us chugging slowly up a hill behind a queue of traffic (my son was driving at this point). I commented that the car was quite docile in 3rd gear at that speed, only to be informed that it was in fact in 5th! Amazing tractability.

Despite this, I'd almost convinced myself that the R32 was the answer to all my problems, but having read all the above, I'm swinging t'other way now.
Must try a newer GTA, and also a GT.

Thanks again...

Geoff
Brake problems?......fit Ferodo DS2500 pads and you will never have brake problems again. I have 305mm Brembos on my Selespeed and no mater how hard I drive, I've yet to encounter those very scary moments that I had with the standard setup.

Golf or GTA ........for me there is no question. The only reason that I don't have a GTA is because I already drive too fast and would probably be dead in a GTA - lack of restraint has always been my problem ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.