Alfa Romeo Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Selective threads

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  paintergirl 
G
#1 ·
Can someone please explain how a "luggage rack" on ebay can be still on the forum un yet i do the same for some wheels and it gets deleted after half an hour ????
Please explain
Seems to be very selective for a reason i cant see ???

#2 ·
There is a specific for sale/wanted thread at the top.
As for being deleted/moved, it depends on whether or not the mods are on line and which parts of the forum they are looking at.
There are only a small number of them and they can't be everywhere at once.
Also I believe they do it on a voluntary basis and try to enforce forum rules to the best of their ability.

#3 ·
I love you Ian. ;)

He's right. We can't see everything. If one gets reported and the other doesn't, we'll spot the former first, even if the latter has been there longer.

#7 ·
It's not so much that the modsenforce the rules,

it's more the fact that people who use the tech rooms don't want this rule and are just being ignored.

#8 ·
Here is the explanation.....

Your thread which has been moved, is an advert. You are advertising that you have some stuff for sale. That's why it has been moved into the stuff for sale section.

The luggage rack thread isn't an advert, neither of the two luggage racks mentioned in that thread belonged to posters in the thread (Clive bought one of them though). The thread is a discussion thread, which is why it is in the discussion part of the forum.

Personally I don't mind advert threads popping up in the wrong place as I never look in the stuff for sale section.

I suppose if they weren't kept separate, it would be a but untidy

G
#9 ·
Thanks SWALLOW I did another advert and used the luggage rack as an example and copied its format to the tee and did a repeat advert with the link only to said page .
I even added a comment to the the luggage rack post to bring it to the most recent in the thread list strange it still remains ?
My thread which was then below it still got removed. :lol:

Nevermind

#10 ·
Did it not just get moved across to the correct thread? Is that not the one I moved and sent you a message about warning you about the impending move?

I'm just about to check out the rest - hopefully all of your for sale threads will end up in the correct place :thumbs:

If any don't, please PM me and we'll get it sorted :)

#12 ·
It appears that I'm not alone in my dislike of the 'For Sale/Wanted' thread.

It was much better before as we were alerted to items available more easily & unusual items created discussions........although too often regarding price.

If the thread started with a link to an AO classified it would be better for AO but it was open to abuse where people didn't advertise there, just in the forum. Now we can't even start a thread with a link to an AO ad but some threads have remained where rare or unusual cars have appeared on Ebay.....the White Spider thread(s) spring to mind.....most of us would like these to remain, wouldn't we?

Clive

#14 ·
Separating your comment into points :)

I'm not going to say again what I said before, but the Classifieds were introduced by the previous site owner with the best interests of the forum members at heart. When it was asked that we enforce their use we decided on a compromise that would keep the Tech Lounges as clear of unnecessary chat as is possible. In most lounges this hasn't been an issue. People have just got on with it. This lounge appears to be one exception to that.

If someone posts an item of interest that is not a for sale thread then that is open to discussion and should remain. Threads such as this have remained in tact so I'm not quite sure what you are getting at Clive? http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/410265-rare-spider-on-ebay.html It's a thread where someone has found a rare Spider on ebay and the discussion remained on the forum. If a non-sale thread has been closed by mistake then please let us know about it :thumbs:

The whole individual model forum concept is completely flawed.

There are plenty of discussions on here that are in no way 'Technical' or 'Vehicle Assistance' yet they don't get deleted. But For sale/Wanted threads get deleted. It's inconsistant.

Just reconsider the whole concept of 'Technical & Vehicle Assistance' and just make the forum a discussion on all aspect of ownership of a particular model and allow individual For Sale / Wanted threads. If that is considered too untidy, why not have a sub-forum for each model specifically for individual For Sale / Wanted threads.

The current system is better than nothing but is unworkable if someone is breaking a car because it becomes impossible to keep track of what has been sold and what still remains amongst all the other adverts. Plus, if you put a helpful response in the For Sale/Wanted thread to someone ( e.g. suggesting it may be better for them to buy the item new and supplying the part number ) it gets deleted as it is not a For Sale/Wanted post!
Vehicle specific discussion isn't a problem. It stays because it could prove helpful to someone. We only ask that items for sale or wanted are placed in a thread which has priority at the top of the lounge. It's really very simple and, like I said above, is being used without issue in other lounges.

The whole idea of the reply by PM/email only thing in the For Sale/Wanted thread is so that the thread doesn't become bogged down by chat, making locating items even more difficult. The poster has the opportunity to edit their post as many times as they like after posting it, altering what they want to say, so if you think they would be better buying new PM/email them. It's then their choice if they want to buy new or leave the request on the thread.

Most people are using the threads and the Classifieds successfully.

#13 ·
The whole individual model forum concept is completely flawed.

There are plenty of discussions on here that are in no way 'Technical' or 'Vehicle Assistance' yet they don't get deleted. But For sale/Wanted threads get deleted. It's inconsistant.

Just reconsider the whole concept of 'Technical & Vehicle Assistance' and just make the forum a discussion on all aspect of ownership of a particular model and allow individual For Sale / Wanted threads. If that is considered too untidy, why not have a sub-forum for each model specifically for individual For Sale / Wanted threads.

The current system is better than nothing but is unworkable if someone is breaking a car because it becomes impossible to keep track of what has been sold and what still remains amongst all the other adverts. Plus, if you put a helpful response in the For Sale/Wanted thread to someone ( e.g. suggesting it may be better for them to buy the item new and supplying the part number ) it gets deleted as it is not a For Sale/Wanted post!

#16 ·
Sorry pkr, but this is how it is.

The For Sale/Wanted thread will stay. The Classifieds will stay. People can either PM OR EMAIL the OP. Those are the options.

The only thing I can see changing is that the Mod Team get completely fed up with moving posts around when folk don't use the For Sale/Wanted threads and ditch the For Sale/Wanted threads in favour of using the Classifieds exclusively. All for sale and wanted threads would then simply be deleted. It would make our life a hell of a lot simpler.

As this thread is getting us nowhere I'm closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.