Alfa Romeo Forum banner

terrible noise on start up

Tags
terrible
1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  fishy-steve 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2.4 jtd 156, when I start it up I get aload diesel noise for about 5 seconds then it quitens down, also if I move the steering wheel from side to side it comes back also if I put the air con on it gets really bad!! It's fine when driving only happens on idle and start up .

#5 ·
Hi an.ok mine is the 10v I have had to take the car off the road it got so bad!
Last night I removed the aux belt and the noise disappeared, it sounded like the bottom end had went
A really load knocking noise, it got worse when under load ie when air con on moving steering side to side,
Even if I put the back window heater on and putting elec windows up, I chanded the tensioner 15 months ago the spring expensive one, I have spun the wheel this is quiet! There is a wheel bellow the spring left to the crank this is a little noisey but the noise it was making I don't think it was this wheel the alternater is qt to it definately sounded as though it was coming from the bottom end!! Any tips on to find out which one it is? I'm relieved it wasn't the engine making the noise, this noise is totally different to when the spring tensioner went

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.