Alfa Romeo Forum banner

GT 1.9 16v JTD or 156 SW 1.9 16v ?

3K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  Cream 
#1 ·
I was set on finding a 1.9 16v JTD Sportwagon budget €2k and have missed a couple of good ones due to being the wrong side of the Irish sea but have recently noticed that GT's can be had for the same money. I love the looks and didn't realise they were hatchbacks which makes them almost as practical as the SW. However it does seem that they are more prone to reliability problems, although the JTD as opposed to JTDM seems to be better in that respect, do they both have swirl flaps ? I also read about harsh rides on bad roads which are a given in West Cork. The GT is also less economical particularly extra urban it would seem.

Looking for some real world advice folks - has anyone out there run both of them ?

#2 ·
last week in my GT i did huddersfield to anglesey..and got 65mpg going there and when i got home with lots of running about the car still showed 58mpg, if they are serviced and looked after they are great.......JTDm is supposed to be more fuel efficient, harsh ride depends on the tyres......im on 17s and its fine

#3 ·
The GT is a newer design than the 156. Many chassis, suspension and other improvements make it a better car to drive. My brother in law has the SW JTD and it feels baggy and soft compared to my GT. I suspect that the treatment the car has received by previous owners together with it's mileage will have more baring on it's reliability and running costs than any other factors. I have 18" wheels on my Cloverleaf and wouldn't describe the ride as harsh at all, certainly not compared to the ride in my old 147 2.0TS. I think everyday economy would be so close as to make no difference. I'd go for the GT every time.

#4 ·
I too have a GT on 18", and previously had a 147. I'd describe the GT setup as firm and sporty, you can feel plenty through the low profile tyres. The 147 was definitely a firmer and crashier ride on 16" wheels, so I expect you can find a nice compromise with the GT and 17"'s

#9 ·
I love my GT, and yes the ride is firm, so dependant on how bumpy and potholed the roads are where you live I would consider the SW (although I have not been in one, but i expect the ride would be more comfortable).

On smooth roads the GT is great, on motorway runs it eats the miles with ease, but I find my self opting for the twisty country roads, as it's a lot more fun, and you'll always find yourself turning around to give her one last look when you leave her parked up.

#10 ·
Thank's folks - I am feeling totally smitten with the lines of the GT and I would think 17" wheels would help the ride as mentioned by hdseven above. Bit worried about the swirl flaps though. In an ideal world I'd go for a re-map, egr delete & replacement manifold.

#13 ·
If you are handy you can sort most problems on a GT swirl flaps can be blanked off .A EGR delete is an important think to do as it will save you loads problems over time you could have that done with a remap .As for fuel you will get 40 MPG running a round no more it may be a little less .Super Car in my opinion just needs looking after to give its best I run on 16" and the rides great I also have no suspension problems you will get them if you run 18" so 17" might be a good compromise

#19 ·
so they changed the springs and role bars... big deal

so the wishbones, wheelbearings, engine gearbox, driveshafts etc etc are all still the same = reskinned 156 in fact

when i go pick up my 156 tomorrow i'll ask my alfa mech what % of parts the GT and 156 share

#21 ·
The body shell has 15% more torsional rigidity than the 156 which any chassis engineer will tell you is fundamental to how well the rest of the suspension works.

I don't see the problem here, the GT built on and improved on what had gone before with the 156 and 147 and that's why it's a better handling and riding car. So they used parts from previous models - every manufacturer does that.

#23 ·
I agree that the GT is a fine looking car, very distinctive and desirable

I dont agree that it is radically different to the 156. Any change of springs and dampers will change how the car rides true. But the chassis and main body shell is the same.

Autocar. hmmpf. The GTA cars will be icons one day with all there faults

#24 ·
Well I find myself having somewhat surprisingly bought a GT on ebay it needs a front wishbone for which the owner was quoted £200 so I presume it's an upper. Where's the best place to go for these ? I'll be coming to the UK early next week to pick it up.

#30 ·
So I arrived back with my eBay bought GT last night, good news it has a stamp and invoice for the cam belt 30k ago so don't have to worry about that for a year at least. I knew it needed an upper arm in front but looking at receipts an upper and opposing lower were done end last year so am thinking due to rattles its the other two. Anti roll bar bushes and links were done at same time and its had a new clutch and DMF. Also EGR valve in invoices and some other things. Down side it's a bit difficult to get into 6th, it's missing the rear tow eye flap. 146,0000 on clock, lots of spotted over stone chips, and washer jets are pathetic. Its blue which is my 3rd favourite colour for a GT and it has 16" wheels but the black leather interior is good, parrott kit fitted and new replacement Alpine cd player fitted with hard wired ipod connection. But at £1750 I think I've done ok !
She pull's very well & I like the way it's right through the rev range. Very pleased with the economy I did 330 miles home at an average speed of 53 mph and @ 53 mpg ! now this is from the info centre and I know it will be a bit out though by all accounts not much. Filled it up with V Power in Bristol now back in Schull about 15 miles from Mizen Head with half a tank left ! A little bit smokey at 4000 to start with now clear. I really pushed it as hard as I dare with the knocking suspension through a 17 mile back road section too and she dropped 1 mpg. She also had handbrake cable & disc recently and a set of discs. Now how do I post pic's...

#32 ·
£1750 Ebay GT JTDM A few Pic's & Update

Just back from having the GT up on the ramp, my diagnosis correct Right Upper arm confirmed as said by past owners garage also left lower and left rear droplink starting to go.
Parts ordered from Shop4Parts as recommended. No rust or other problems underneath.
Very happy so far, love the steering and smooth power, I've had quite a few BMW's and build quality is not far off the 3 series, yes panels are light but mine doesn't have any interior rattles or squeaks yet @ 146,000 miles. 420 miles + done and still high mpg at 51 and I'm using full rev range when suitable. Yes it shows the miles but will clean up well. I need a rear tow flap cover, have asked Auto Lusso but if anyone can help please do.

:)

Attachments

#34 ·
Looks sweet and great value for money. Good luck with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.