Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Self service my 156 2,5 V6, need a to do list!

Tags
list
1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  wils2013 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Amateur mechanic so to speak (worked for a few years on lorry's, have the C&G to prove it :p).

I'm building up to self-servicing my 2002 156 2.5 V6, 98000km on the clock, no service on record for a while, and would like to do a pretty thorough service myself, I have the air filters, spark plugs, oil filters and the oils.

It would be great if one of guys has a list or can give me one here of what I should do? not a how to make the service but to make sure I've checked this and that.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

#2 ·
Outside the replace filters and oils....

1) Cambelt - when was it last done? Pull back the cover and have a look at the belt - if you see shiny marks on the cam pulleys, then it is moving on the pulleys. Do not start car, do not pass go, change the belt. Same if it is thin or frayed. Ditto the aux belt - if this is looking bad, change it as if it goes, it can take the cambelt with it.

2) Oil filter - up behind the engine. Have fun! You need a very thin wrench to get it out.

3) Brake fluid is worth changing, check the pads as well.

4) Check the bushes with a prybar. The small bushes at the back of the rear trailing arms are very weak and go regularly.

5) If the gear change is stiff, grease/replace the top hat bushes - threads on here explain all.

6) Pollen filter - can smell manky, change it.....

7) If you have no idea of the history, change the antifreeze. Check the bottom hose as well - they are getting to the age when they go.

8) Remember you have to remove the plenum to get to the rear plugs.

#10 ·
Well,

decided on an initial garage oil change for the engine, gearbox and brakes... especially the engine oil change by the pro's since everyone tells me its just not worth the time and effort to do it at home!!!!

Will be looking for a good synthetic oil for the engine Taylor, any further suggestions from anyone? Something market available as living here I'm semi limited to choice and price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.