Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Whooshing on new turbo (147 JTDm)

Tags
whooshing
2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  alastpa 
#1 ·
Hi guys

Hope I can gather some advice before phoning up the garage.

I have a 2007 147 JTDm 16v, 106k on the clock. Was driving home on Sunday and the car behaved as if I was in neutral and flooring the gas...basically the engine was turning crazy with the wheels going nowhere. Lots of smoke etc. I thought initially the clutch was to blame, but after a diagnosis by Arnold Chatz, the turbo was apparently done for. Oil leaking, blood guts and puss, the lot.

Lots of money and a new turbo later, I got my car back yesterday, but not entirely sure all is kosher.

Basically it makes a short whooshing noise every time I change gear - and not necessarily only at high revs. Also noticed that if I rev the engine in 3rd/4th beyond 2000rpm I hear a constant whistling type of noise.

Now, I know a turbo can make this noise, but my old turbo never made any noise. It was completely silent. And I'm not entirely convinced the new turbo gives as much of a kick as the old one. It seems to deliver the boost in a slightly less powerful, continuous manner. My old turbo would really kick you into your seat in 2nd and 3rd. Not saying the new one is low on power, because there is power. Just doesn't feel as aggressive as the old one.

So essentially my question is, do I give the car a few more days to see if the noise disappears (for whatever reason)? And maybe the turbo just needs a bit of yardage to 'loosen up'? Sorry, I'm not terribly clued up on these things, so any advice would be appreciated.

I have read one or two things about boost leakage, or an air leak etc. Trouble is as I said the turbo is delivering a decent bit of power - also as far as I can see there is no more exchaust fumes than the usual diesel output.

Any help is really appreciated guys. I paid a lot for the turbo!

See less See more
#3 ·
Almost undoubtedly a nice hole in your lower Hose (or upper for that matter).

Check these thoroughly as the hole in mine was tiny and hidden right under the awkward bend underneath so not visible. The Samco replacements from Alfaworkshop are great and restore the full Boost. Afraid they're not cheap if you've just spent a load of Monies but well worth it.

Cheers

#4 ·
I had my JTDm's turbo hose replaced at Chatz earlier this year. It wooshes slightly when the turbo spools up. The power delivery is quite progressive for a diesel. As long you're car doesn't smoke too much and pulls strongly I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure that any smoke is black and not white or blue. If the turbo hose was holed your car would have very little power and would sound like a vacuum cleaner on takeoff.

You're welcome to have a go in mine and compare the two if you like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.