Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Look what was brought to me (part 2)

Tags
brought
23K views 386 replies 29 participants last post by  kevjtd 
G
#1 · (Edited)
as i'm a sucker for saving a sud it was only a matter of time before it happenned again....

so yesterday shrew and me had a trip down south where they talk funny to meet up with harvey and bring his car back up north for its combined attack to get it back to full health :thumbs:

having seen a good few pics from harvey and heard about how much work was needed i was expecting to find a car in similar condition to what VJM was, but pleasantly surprised to find it isn't that bad really.....or maybe i've got used to seeing rusty cars and not panicking anymore :D

usual suspects that need attention - sills, rear arches, wing rails, "A" pillars, front & back panels, door bottoms, rear hatch etc etc.......

but it doesn't appear that bad really.
will tell more once it's up on the spit.

the rear arches (and probably the front wings) will need a little thought to make sure they cover the very wide wheels that harvey has fitted, 7.5" wide at that...but they are what he wants so that is what will be made to fit ;)

quite a road trip yesterday to collect the car, think we must have done over 300 miles for the round trip? probably nearer 400 i guess?

called in at BLS on the way back to shrews' after dropping the sud at my place.

was a pleasure as always to chat to tom & phil, mostly alfa chat as always, and mostly sud stuff too :D
then as we were about to leave a guy turned up and was introduced as being mark, an ex sud racer from back in the day. just happened to be mark riddle, the driver of the supercharged sud from back in the 80's that we used to drool over at cadwell before calling in at the local alfa/lancia dealer to dream about sometime owning one of the sprints or gtv's that were all over the forecourt..
a pleasure to meet the inspiration for all things alfa & italian cars in general :cool:

so a great day out and the start of another build thread, hoping the updates come thick and fast :thumbs:

Attachments

See less See more
G
#2 ·
ditto all the above mate, a long but very enjoyable day, with an excellent measn to an end too,

its all good.

great to meet and chat with mark riddle eh, also goes to show the depth of knowledge and experience at BLS is astounding eh, you would never imagine the dizzy heights of achievements and mechanical pioneering performed over the years, quietly humble and modest genius, right on our doorstep,

bruddy marverous!!!

Marks opinion on the finest sud in the uk today was interestingly in total agreement to myself, and others no doubt,

Ted, if youre reading this, you should be grinning like a cheshire cat right now!!! ha ha!!!

Kev, you got your work cut out mate, but you'll love it, its a sud, and Harvey will love it too, of that i'm sure.

i'd better get cracking with his engine eh?

shrew

#9 ·
great to meet and chat with mark riddle eh, also goes to show the depth of knowledge and experience at BLS is astounding eh, you would never imagine the dizzy heights of achievements and mechanical pioneering performed over the years, quietly humble and modest genius, right on our doorstep,

bruddy marverous!!!

Marks opinion on the finest sud in the uk today was interestingly in total agreement to myself, and others no doubt,

Ted, if youre reading this, you should be grinning like a cheshire cat right now!!! ha ha!!!
Yep, I'm grinning away! Very flattering but Tom, Phil, Jamie Porter and Tony Christy deserve all the credit for how my one turned out.

Mark Riddle was one of the funniest blokes I ever met racing - the tales and jokes were priceless - top bloke and a really competitive racer.:thumbs:

G
#5 ·
I like both! ha ha!!!!

Plowman Restorations incorporating Carlton Classic Italians, is a bit long winded eh! LOL!

a fine job will ensue whatever the nam, THAT's for sure.

to jump in on Steff's question, seeing as i already have Harveys engine and gearbox, Kev currently has a rolling shell, weighs very little, so it will be going on a full 360 degree spit to be able to weld every nook and cranny with ease.

and on that, having studied the one i got from Harvey, (cheers buddy, mucho appreciarto!) i reckon i might have a go at building some myself, they are pretty simple things, very effective though, but with a few refinements and additions i reckon they could be made to fit anything, and be even more useable!

more on that later and on its own thread i think, no need to hijack this one! ha ha!!!

shrew

G
#10 · (Edited)
Still can't belive it myself:rolleyes:

Amazingly "northeners" hourly rate is only a quater of down here:cheese:

It was until you said that Harvey! ha ha!!!

Kev, our office address has just been re-registered at Kensignton Gardens, just in between the Russian Embassy and the Sultan of Brunai's gaff!

Ted, good to see you on forum mate, not been doing that much typing myself either, too busy welding, or driving!!

we'll catch up soon mate, let us know when you're heading up to lincoln perhaps eh?

shrew

G
#14 · (Edited)
had a bit of a sort out this afternoon with the sud, stash away some parts that won't be needed for a while and have a better look over what lies ahead.

nothing too drastic found yet....

as a lot of the work will be done on the turnover jig which will mean the suspension will all need to be removed i thought it best to try and sort the rear arches first, while i can get a judge on how far out i need to bring the back arch repair sections to cover the wider wheels.

when we collected the car all 3 of us thought the back axle looked to be biased towards the passenger side a bit. o/s arch looked like it would be easier to cover the wheel, but nothing too drastic..

on getting the back jacked up onto some ramps i did some measuring and found that the axle was about 20mm over to the passenger side, as we suspected. a temporary location bolt in the panhard rod wasn't helping either as it was a smaller size.

nothing for it but to remove the panhard rod and straighten it out to force the axle back into line.
so after carefully measuring things i set about the task and luckily enough i just about got enough extra length in the rod from straightening the kink out, almost straight anyway, just a slight bend now.

once refitted with the correct thickness bolts i measured again and the axle is now within 2 or 3mm of central. thankfully it is also the right side of offset too, when a little weight goes back into the car with the fuel tank etc it will alter a little to bring it more nearer to central.

offered up the arches now for a quick alignment check and they look like they won't need as much effort to bring things right as i feared, shouldn't be too bad at all.

rust isn't too bad elsewhere, some rust scabs around the screen opening that will most likely turn into holes.
drivers "A" pillar will needa bit of work.
battery tray area has plenty of fresh air metal!
wing rails need changing
back panel and panel behind it need changing.

loads of little bits and pieces, sills most likely too.

usual stuff.

Attachments

#15 ·
Always wondered about the rear, I bought a S/H rear torsion bar as the offside wheel would foul it without a 3mm spacer, never thought it was the panhard rod:rolleyes:
You don't waste any time do you Kev:thumbs:
Is the misses OK with it?
Sorry about the small bolt but there were so many to choose from:lol:

G
#16 ·
are there any wheel spacers on it now mate? i was using the inner edge of the wheel for my measuring, if there is a spacer on one side then my measurements are now all wrong :D

all looks good though. the o/s spring was actually rubbing the body before with the axle out of line, both sides have the same amount of clearance now

don't worry about the odd bolt mate, you did well to get everything together in time :thumbs:

#22 ·
Kev, let me know if you need any bits, i have good series 3 wings, a pattern outer sill left over from the S1 job and loads of other sud bits and pieces, need to clear some space so shout if you need anything. Well done with the thread, look forward to watching the 'look what was brought to me part 2'

G
#23 ·
could do with wing rails if anyone has any laying around?

not overly fussed on them as can easily be knocked up.

back panel though, that's a different story. really do need to find one from somewhere.....

hope to get properly stuck in to things this weekend :thumbs:

G
#28 ·
if an S3 one comes up then i would find that easier, but i'm in real need of anything at the moment. you'd be welcome to have 2nd dibs on any S2 panel coming up though :thumbs:

harveys car needs it :cool:

:D

#35 ·
Spent 2 hours on Ebay, germany, italy, greece and france:rolleyes:
Found 2 series 1/2 rear valences but no 3's:mad:
No luck with my other supplier either:cry:
As it's going to be "hidden" by the bumper I don't mind if you can make it up somewhere near, I won't lose sleep over something I won't even see:)
H

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.