Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Alfa gremlin finally struck.

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  bry460 
#1 ·
:cry: 08 2.4 JTDm No warning lights,nothing,Yesterday she started playing up no power,would not rev. above tick over.She then started to run something like ok. so took her up and down the motorway at high speed for arround 15 miles.All seamed ok,no problems untill to day when after parking up,left her for 10 Mins she would start but only on tick over,left it another 20 Mins would not start at all. HELP needed,she is now at a local garage waiting diagnostics..:mad:

#7 ·
Thanyou to all that responded to my plight.Now for the update! Greeted by a :)ing mechanic this morning when I went to the garage for an update on progress.ALL FIXED came the reply to my amazement,as suspected DPF/EGR fault.They recovered car (about 2 miles) to workshop found they could not get her to run for no more than a few seconds so exhaust was removed to get at the DPF,cleaned it the best they could (compleatly blocked).
Cleaned the EGR valve,reassembled the lot,then did a forced regen via the laptop software which they say blew all kinds of **** and crap out....
They then took her for a good test drive on motorway etc which proved to be all OK. All this work was done between 2.30 and 7.30 yesterday when they knocked off for a well earned pint.
The cost of all this GUESS???? then I can see if I got value for money.:cool:

#9 ·
Seeing as no one wants to play,not far off the mark for the only one that played. £150...
which I did not think was that bad seeing as it was Saturday afternoon when I gave them the first call and they only finished late that night.

#13 ·
Just another update,fitted the EGR semi-blanking plate took a good couple of hours to compleat (NOTE! I dont rush anything these days.Its an age related thing...:lol:).Took her out for a quick blast and all was fine so hopfully happy days ahead. PS.. This is what I found in the EGR valve and housing.so I take it that the EGR was not cleaned as I thought.:mad: But all is clean now.:thumbs:

Attachments

#14 ·
Slow and steady wins the race. (Because you haven't got to waste 25 minutes looking for a bolt which you dropped as a result of rushing)

The only problem with clean EGR valves is they let more EGR gas through :(
(I reckon we should only clean the valve seats to make sure that they close properly and leave the channels nicely clogged up :) )

#15 ·
glad you got it sorted bry. the sooner the car industry finds a better way than dpf's and egr's to keep the environmentalists quiet the better

you could of course rid yourself of both but it ain't cheap if you go to a reputable place, so i suppose it depends on how long you intend to keep the car

#16 ·
So what's the deal with the EGR and DPF gremlins? I'm going to be replacing my accord in 12 - 18 months for something a bit more appealing, and was pretty much sold on a Mercedes CLK, but must admit the Alfa 159 is tempting. WIll be doing about 25 - 30,000 miles a year, and have 6k or so to spend (somewhat flexible though). As it needs to be an automatic the choice seems to be 2.4 only. I'd much rather have petrol, especially the V6, but they don't seem to be out there with the auto box. Is the DPF and EGR issue high milers only, or more on town driven cars?

#19 ·
when the dpf sensor reports that it is getting full with soot, your car will go into dpf regeneration mode. in short, this involves dumping extra fuel through the system for about 10 minutes, raising the temp in the dpf to levels high enough to burn off all the soot until it's (supposedly) empty again. problem is this seems to work best on a long high speed run, which is why motorway cars seem to have less problems than a town car.

#20 ·
problem is this seems to work best on a long high speed run, which is why motorway cars seem to have less problems than a town car.
Probably also as more soot is produced under load, so the DPF will be filled up quicker with town driving.

#22 ·
If you buy a 159 2.4ti , don't muck about , just put the blanking plate in as advised by ''Fixit'' then undo the DPF can from the exhaust system and drill a few 10mm holes 20/30mm deep into the filter that can be seen up the pipe . That alone will sort the problems . If like me you fancy a better responding car , easier to drive slow in traffic plus go a lot quicker when required , get it remapped , DPF emptied altogether and EGR deleted in the ECU .
Mine's recently done and it's simply a different car , drivability wise plus performance and also better economy . All for £330 before 31st January at Angel/Banbury or others listed on here in other uk areas . Even at the normal cost of £430 still good value.

#23 ·
Is the DPF and EGR issue high milers only, or more on town driven cars?
In my humble opinion it manifests itself in town driven cars more as my car had been fine for just over two and half years. Only over Christmas she was used every day but only a few miles a day thus not getting up to working temprature to burn/remove the soot from the exhaust/dpf the car has only done 30,000 miles so not a mileage car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.