Alfa Romeo Forum banner

V6 starter - just how bad is it to change?

Tags
bad
4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  filipharvey 
#1 ·
Ok everyone, be honest with me - just how bad is it really to change the starter on a 156 v6?

I've seen a number of passing comments that its a bit grim - just what is involved?:rolleyes:

#2 ·
To be honest, it is a pigging nightmare.
Personally if I had to do one, I would take the engine out as the access is ridiculous, especially to the top bolt.
That's exactly what I did for the alternator, which in my opinion has better access - although you'd still have to drop the subframe to get the alternator out in with the engine in situ.
Saying that, I've done it so many times, I can get the V6 out and back in within 3 hours so it makes sense for me to do it that way.

#4 ·
:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:
You have to be joking. Its really that bad? Taking the engine out is hardly an option at the side of the road. The Rover 75 V6 has a reputation for being hard to work on, but I found a methodical, careful approach meant it wasnt as bad as it looked.

Sadly I can see this car getting a royal boot into the nearest landfill if its as bad as that to work on.

Just when I was starting to think "I might spend some time and money on this and make it last!" :eek:

G
#3 ·
:lol: Good luck, you are going to need it... +1 for engine out, do everything else while you have it out like cam belt, tensioners, rollers, water pump.. Recon Alternator and A/R bushes to make it worth while:thumbs:

#6 ·
This picture with the heads off shows where the starter motor is, and why I'd recommend getting the engine out.

If you decide to do it with the engine in:

• Remove the battery and intake plenum.
  • Locate and undo the two upper bolts on the starter motor.
  • Lift the car up, support the engine
  • Undo lower engine mount and remove the rear exhaust downpipe.
  • Remove the lower starter bolt and the 2 nuts that hold the wiring onto the starter.
  • Manoeuvre the starter out underneath.

I've made it sound far, far, far easier than it is there!
Don't forget that you are working around the exhaust manifold. It helps if you remove that too, but be careful not to shear any bolts.
Plenty of PlusGas and loosening/tightening/loosening of the bolts as you go would certainly be beneficial.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.