4c test drive - steering - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Giulietta 64
  • 1 Post By alfaspiderboy
  • 2 Post By Lambrate FS
  • 1 Post By AnthonyJohn

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 19-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
4c test drive - steering

Took a 4c LE for a test drive this morning, within 100 yards at 25-30 mph I felt the car was trying to kill me, no feel whatsoever and the car followed every rut, grid, bump, camber etc, didn't seem too bad on smoother roads and at faster speeds but really didn't inspire any confidence to drive fast.
Are the newer cars (2016) any better?
Is it true that smaller wheels are better?
Have many owners had the Alfaworks upgrade for the steering and does it work?

Took an Exige V6 out in the afternoon totally different beast, inspires loads of confidence to put your foot down.....really wanted the 4c as I had a few Alfas but I honestly didn't feel comfortable at all with the steering ☹️☹️

Previously, 146TI, 147 2L, Brera 2.2, Mito 135MA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony44 View Post
Took a 4c LE for a test drive this morning, within 100 yards at 25-30 mph I felt the car was trying to kill me, no feel whatsoever and the car followed every rut, grid, bump, camber etc, didn't seem too bad on smoother roads and at faster speeds but really didn't inspire any confidence to drive fast.

Took an Exige V6 out in the afternoon totally different beast, inspires loads of confidence to put your foot down.....really wanted the 4c as I had a few Alfas but I honestly didn't feel comfortable at all with the steering ☹️☹️
You'll get used to it, but always hold the steering wheel with both hands.
Once the guarantee has finished, I'm thinking of an Alfaworks upgrade. Many have done this and they all say (Alfa Romeo 4C Forums) it should have been so from the start.
gralegav likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 20-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Drove two 4c's today, one on 17" & 18" wheels and one with 18" & 19" wheels, both with sports exhaust.
Both drove far better than the LE (launch edition) I drove yesterday and both didn't tramline or try and steer themselves as much as the LE, certainly felt that I was the one controlling the car, the one on the smaller wheels had a slightly better ride and both were quieter no 'farts' from the exhaust.
All I can think is that the LE I drove yesterday must have had the race pack, sports suspension and race exhaust, it wasn't an Alfa dealer selling it therefore they don't know the various options.

Inside they don't feel as basic as an Exige and when you look in the wing mirrors and see the air scopes on the rear quarters you do think you are in something a bit special.
Acceleration, yes they are quick, don't think they are as quick as an Exige or if they are they hide it well and they are not as brutal as a Exige V6 on acceleration, not sure what way I will go, head says Exige heart says Alfa.

I've read on the net and the Alfa dealer I was at today was saying that production is stopping in 2018, wondering if the 4c could become a long term investment.

AO Member

County: Essex
Garage
To be honest you get used to the tram lining and hard suspension, only really comes alive above the max uk speed limits, don't want a European Japanese sanitised car, am happy with the 4c as it is, long term investment hopefully but if not you will be happy with having owned this machine, go for it, I own a launch edition 4c with the sports suspension and exhaust, couldn't be happier with my purchase. Asb
gralegav likes this.
AO Member

County: Milano
Have a bog standard 4c with the Alfa workshop front suspension adjustment, inspires loads of confidence.
cue2 and Thirty three like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
My LE is as original, the 'untamed' nature of the handling is part of the appeal for me.
cue2 likes this.
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6/4C

Mine is on the smaller wheels and with Jamie Porter's kit. In revised form it went to Milan and back in the summer. Traversed numerous passes without trying to throw itself off. Handling issues - none whatsoever.
AO Member

County: New South Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony44 View Post

I think the '16/'17MY cars are much improved. I recently went on a drive with a couple of friends, one of whom has a '16 Spider, the other a '15 Coupe. When comparing notes the friend with the '15 Coupe said he was really struggling with the steering over the roads and at the speeds we were travelling. The two of us in '16MY cars, mine with 17/18" wheels, the Spider with 18/19" wheels, just had the occasional steering wheel flick. The '15Coupe owner has just had Jamie's steering blocks fitted last week. I'm yet to hear about the improvement.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Member

County: New South Wales
My friend reported that his steering has calmed down considerably since getting Jamie's steering blocks. He has noticed a slight increase in the heaviness of the steering though. I had an alignment done a couple of weeks ago and found the fronts were way off, the left front having toe-out and the right front to end-in. Now both sides have toe-in as specified by Alfa and a camber of -1 degrees. The front end feel and bite has improved noticeably. Less twitching of the steering too. Strangely, the car tracked straight on a constant throttle and under brakes on a straight, smooth road before the alignment was had. I really wanted to address some unwanted understeer when pressing on. Much better now. I'm considering going for a camber of -1.5 degrees with the factory camber kit (just shims) but I'll see how the current adjustment goes before doing anything further.

Last edited by ALFAGUY147; 5 Days Ago at 11:33.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
drive , steering , test

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page