Alfa Romeo Forum banner

front suspension sprngs

Tags
sprngs
1K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  hearts1978 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all here is a good question for the mechanically minded, and the tech department.!!!!

Does anyone know of any reason the front suspension springs of my 2000 alfa gtv should be resting on my front tyres, bearing in mind that there is still room to fit my hand between the arch and the tyre

got someone coming tomo to have a look but would appreciate any heads up.

#2 ·
The springs sit on the shock absorbers on metal supports, it sounds as if these have given way letting the springs fall down the struts. If you look at the eper site you will be able to see the exploded view of the suspension parts and how it fit's together. I think you will need 2 new front shocks. That's quite worrying though that would happen on both sides at the same time.:eek:

#12 ·
Really can't imagine what your question means - "spring is resting on the tyres"??? The spring is the "structure" the holds the car off the ground/tyres so either the spring has snapped or the plates it bears against top and bottom have collapsed. Or another suspension member has broken. Should be pretty obvious! Springs aren't expensive - bit of work involved tho. These cars aren't cheap to run - sounds like you haven't spent much so far !!

#16 ·
Hearts 1978, I think you should not have edited your first post. It was clear from your original first post that the metal plate the springs sit on has collapsed allowing the springs to move down the struts to a point where they have hit the tyres. You need new front shocks for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.