Alfa Romeo Forum banner

First impressions

847 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sensingsys 
#1 ·
Well, I've had my 2.0 GTV for about a month now. Not having owned one before I thought I would give my impression of it along with one or two queries:)

The good:thumbs:
Looks fantastic and I doubt the looks will ever date
Handles really well
Surprisingly comfortable for a sports car and, unlike some other cars I have had, doesn't give me backache after a couple of hours
Did I mention that it looks great?:)

The not so good (little quibbles really):(
Turning circle of the Queen Mary (not really a problem but definitely noticeable!)
AC that insists on turning itself on every time I start the car or adjust the temperature - is this normal operation?
Windscreen wipers that insist on one last wipe when I turn them off. The reason I turn them off is that I don't want them to wipe any more !
An autodrop drivers window that autodrops all the way down. I have read about the fix for these but I think I am just going to bypass the system. It is just another thing to go worng and can closing the door really be that much more satisfying with the window wound down a little bit?
I have a spacesaver spare wheel which fills the boot:lol:

The quibbles I have are just that, very minor quibbles. The car is fantastic to drive and makes me smile. I am someone who likes to make my own decisions and I do not like cars doing it for me. I detest rain sensing wipers and auto lights and have a real problem with cruise control ! I like to make those sort of decisions myself which is probably why I mentioned the relatively insignificant wiper and AC issues - it's like the car is trying to have the last word in an arguament:lol:

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a simple procedure for overriding the ac auto on. It's in the manual, involves turning the fan knob in a combination with key at MAR but not sure of it offhand. The wipers do that, notice they rest at above the "off" position on intermittent so that they are closer to the action, so to speak, not at the fully down position. The autodrop window doesn't stop when you release, flick up when you have lowered as far as you wish.

#3 ·
Thanks for that - I will have a look at the AC override thing. The autodrop I mentioned was when you open the door. The passenger window drops a little way (perhaps 1 cm) and then closes again when you close the door. The drivers window winds itself all the way down when you open the door and all the way back up when you close it again. This is independent of the switches in the door but I have read about this issue on this forum and will get around to sorting it one day.

#4 ·
The wiper action is normal, when the wipers are parked (off), they sit lower down on the screen than when operating. The procedure is attached for turning off the automatic operation of the A/C. The driver window that you mention is to do with the microswitch on the window mechanism, most probably come loose.

Attachments

#5 ·
Very handy, thanks Stixy - it was going to be difficult to decipher that from my car's handbook, even with my high-school Japanese. :)

I wish I had auto-drop - it helps the windows seal better since they are squinched up into the rubber after the door closes. I'd say it's well worth fixing and probably just needs a replacement microswitch.

I've adapted a generic microswitch to replace the bonnet-unlatched microswitch and I'm next going to replace the hood-open microswitch that disables the air conditioning on my Spider, since it's busted and the aircon comes on all the time with the hood open. Of course with the reset procedure, the problem will be avoided, but even so it would be dumb to accidentally leave the a/c on with the hood down.

-Alex

#6 ·
Thanks here too Stixy for the procedure on turning the AC operation to manual - it works as I want it now.

Can I ask what the consensus is on having the auto-drop feature on a GTV? Does it make much difference or is it not worth the added complexity? I have never had a car with this feature before and am not sure what benefit it provides.

#7 ·
Can I ask what the consensus is on having the auto-drop feature on a GTV? Does it make much difference or is it not worth the added complexity? I have never had a car with this feature before and am not sure what benefit it provides.
As alexGS says
I wish I had auto-drop - it helps the windows seal better since they are squinched up into the rubber after the door closes.
On the window that has auto-drop, if you put some small bits of masking tape at the top of the closed window right next to the seal and then open the door you will see how far the widow has entered into the seal, should be about 4mm. Without auto-drop I doubt if you would get 2mm.

Equals better sealing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.