Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Engine light on?!

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Chocoboy 
#1 ·
Hi group
I know this might been asked so many time, but bare w me cos I'm new to this and can't find any so far.

I just got a 2003 156 jts. (After I own a gtv 916 for 5 years I haven't learn the lesson and back to Alfa again). After a few days drive, finally the monitor in the front light up w message! Great, the car talk to me! the engine warning light on ! Said "engine monitor system failure" . I call mechanics and he said normal la, drive a few day and come back and see me if it doesn't go out.......

So my question is..... Will I die?! Is the car danger?! Is it really normal?! Is it what they call the "italian temper?" Should I leave the car alone for few days let her calm down? (that works with my wife;p)

So what should I do?

#3 ·
Will I die?! YES
Is the car danger?! YES its an Alfa wash it ASAP its sulking.
Is it really normal?! YES its an Alfa

You need the code to tell you how bad it is, chances are the car had the light on, and they just reset it to sell it.
Wiring loom on the spark plugs PO3 would be my bet if the bookies were taking money, search the forum.
If the cars not mis firing then lower the panic level.

have fun. ;)

#4 ·
You wont find out by guessing ... it need a diagnostic check to read the codes and tell you what is wrong .. could be a long list of things ... some more serious than others!

#11 ·
Up to you really. Some people will say yes and some will say no. If it was me i would read the codes but I can do it myself so it is free.

I would want to know why it was on though so if it returns I will know if it is the same fault or a different one.

If the car is running good, not hot, not cold, not using too much fuel then leaving it might be OK.

Some will say read the codes some will say leave it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.