Alfa Romeo Forum banner

about coolant fluid...

Tags
coolant fluid
2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Pasi 
#1 ·
So I have heard that the 156 might eat about4 litres of coolant fluid(?)

What brand should I buy for my 156?
Should the coolant system be "flushed" first??? and if yes, how???
Are there different "rankings" for coolant fluids as there are for oils (synthetic, semisyntethic etc...)
What's the best way to empty the coolant system??

G
#2 ·
Your 156 should have Paraflu in it, which is a slightly pink colour.This should be changed every 2 years. If your engine is anything like mine, there is no discolouration of this fluid at all, indicating no corrosion in the waterways. I don't think you need to flush, just replace with the same stuff, it seems to have very effective corrosion inhibitors so unless you have a leaky head gasket, it should be very clean! ;)

#3 ·
The color is pure... but I think it's light blue/green in color (???) :confused: :confused:

#4 ·
I use Paraflu, bought from a dealer, and distilled water mixed at 50/50, but my coolent is blue. As shown my leaks and seepages at joints, etc.

Not sure you can get all the old coolant out as there isn't a drain tap for the engine block, but the majority will come out if you take the bottom hose off the rad.

#5 ·
I think the Paraflu stuff might be a bit to hard to get hold of in F:Land (not many (if any) Selenia outlets in here :(

Anyone want to recomend some other stuff too??

But, thanks for the replies so far ;)

#6 ·
try toyota long life coolant. a lot of the 156 here use it and i love it. comes pre-mixed or concentrated. is pink in colour and hardly discolours. doesnt leave residue (like paraflu or redline waterwetter) and runs nearly as cool as waterwetter does. dirt cheap and prolly easier to find than paraflu too (toyotas are like roaches, they're everywhere!)

good luck!

redd

#7 ·
Redd said:
find than paraflu too (toyotas are like roaches, they're everywhere!)
Well said ;)

I just wonder... Does the color of the coolant have some meaning??? :confused:

#9 ·
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#11 ·
Well what do you know... There is an outlet (one in whole F:land) that sells selenia oils and other stuff :D

And it's not too far away either... will go visit them next week :)

#14 ·
mgawwad said:
From what I Know coolant color codes indicate the effective chemical used in them. I've also read somewhere that not all coolant colors are compatible with each other, E.g : if you mix green and pink they could gel.

This answer is very close.
There are 2 types of coolant depending on whether you have an iron or aluminium engine. Some coolants have silica in them i believe.
Another source of cheap but good quality coolant is Vauxhall Longlife which is pink and mixes with all coolant types.About £8 for 5L of concentrate.

I have also been told that the 156 rad clogs up quite badly, usually at the bottom. I'm going to change mine as it looks a bit moth eaten at the bottom.I would then expect better heat transfer.

#15 ·
This seems to be extensive information about the different types of Engine Coolant -- from Honest John, Daily Telegraph.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=41

The stuff I had from my Alfa Main Dealer "Alfa Romeo Antifreeze Super" is marked Ethylene Glycol and was blue.

- Just guessing about the colour just means don't mix the different types.

#16 ·
Sunbar said:
This seems to be extensive information about the different types of Engine Coolant -- from Honest John, Daily Telegraph.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=41

The stuff I had from my Alfa Main Dealer "Alfa Romeo Antifreeze Super" is marked Ethylene Glycol and was blue.

- Just guessing about the colour just means don't mix the different types.
That's the stuff the outlet has ... Alfa Romeo Antifreeze :D

#17 ·
Costs 6€ / litre ;)

#19 ·
I use Paraflu bought from the local Alfa dealer in a 50/50 mixture (the other 50 being the purist naturally occurring mineral water of course). It is blue in colour, needs very little topping up and has remained perfectly clear ;)

I guess if it's dirty either the rad is screwed :eek: or the head gasket is buggered :( or something even more sinister.. :lol:

#20 ·
from: http://www.tacom.army.mil/tardec/division/peth2o/fuellube/pubs/jan03/jan03.htm

... However, it should be noted that there is no commercial standard for color of coolant. This means that there are many different color antifreezes available and different ideas on what the colors should mean.
It is important to realize that without a color standard, coolants can be available in any color and shade variations. This makes it very confusing to the users. Not all coolants are compatible with each other and this incompatibility can create serious problem. We have received calls regarding gelling of coolant when mixing coolants with different color.

#21 ·
That's why you should re-fill with the same coolant always... and if you don't know what coolant was used previously, you might want to empty the system and fill with completely new stuff :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.