Alfa Romeo Forum banner

WARNING: Wash and Shine, Cheetham Hill Road, Manchester

27K views 60 replies 33 participants last post by  the beard 
#1 · (Edited)
I dropped my car off for a full valet at Wash and Shine, Cheetham Hill Road yesterday, leaving the car in their care whilst I headed into Manchester to do some shopping.

Upon collecting the car I paid, got in, put her into reverse and the parking sensors went bananas as if there was an object immediately behind the car. I got out to check if there was anything behind me or something stuck to one of the parking sensors, to find the third sensor along missing and just a hole in the rear bumper.

This damage was not present when I dropped her off at Wash and Shine. One of the valeters has obviously pushed too hard on it and popped it off it's clip. It has fallen into the bumper leaving a hole. It remains plugged in, causing the shrill tone when reversing as it is rattling round inside the rear bumper.

I immediately complained to the supervisor who looked at the damage and called one of the valeters over. He looked panicked and stammered that it was already like that when the car came in. Obviously it wasn't so I pressed the matter but the supervisor said he could not do anything as his boss was not there. He asked me to call back the day after and speak to his boss Mohammed. He wouldn't even refund the cost of the valet.

On my way home I called into my local garage and we got the car up on the ramp. Just as I had guessed, the parking sensor had been pressed against with such force that it had been forced off it's mounting clip and had fallen down inside the rear bumper. We couldn't get at it unfortunately, so the car now has to be booked in tomorrow so they can remove the entire rear bumper, fish it out and refit the parking sensor. This will cost me at least £25 for an hours labour, maybe more.

I called Mohammed this morning who at first told me it was impossible that the damage occurred whilst the car was in their care. I protested obviously, so he told me he would check the cameras. I think maybe he was trying to call my bluff but I told him I was happy with this as this would obviously show that the car was undamaged when it arrived.

He called me back a few hours later and told me that he had studied the footage and could clearly see that no damage had been caused by any of his staff. He invited me to come and look at the footage. I was skeptical that he could see this as effectively each solenoid is the size of a five pence piece! He also stated that the damage could not have been caused by his staff otherwise why would only one of the four parking sensors have been forced into the bumper? What a totally illogical and ridiculous comment.

I reaffirmed to him that my car was undamaged when I dropped it off with at this premises and was damaged when I collected it. I proposed that if he and his business had integrity then they would foot the bill for the repair which is going to cost me £25. He refused and continued to deny that the damage could have been caused by his valeting team and we ended the call.

As I reflected however I suddenly realised that if I did indeed look at the video footage it would prove my claim. If he could see the parking sensors on the video, it would clearly show the car arriving undamaged. I called him back and stated this and said I would come down tomorrow to look at the footage with him. He then informed me that none of the cameras could see the rear of the car! On this basis then I questioned how he could possibly have confirmed by studying such footage, that the damage was not done by one of his valeters?! He stammered a ridiciulous reply about not seeing anyones eyes catch on what might be a point of damage! After pressing him further he simply refused to admit any liability and suggested I take it to my dealer to have it repaired under warranty. In the end I put the phone down in disgust.

I am really angry and think his attitude and that of his staff disgusting. It is so obvious that a simple accident had occurred whilst the car has was being washed. One of the valeters has pressed too hard on one of the parking sensors and pushed it into the bumper leaving the hole.

Any business or business owner with an ounce of common sense and integrity would simply agree to reimburse the cost of putting the damage right. It is only £25 for crying out loud. It is however £25 worth of damage that was caused as a result of me leaving the car in their care. This is clearly not a business or a man of integrity. He also effectively lied to me by telling me he could see that no damage occured from studying the video footage, but when pressed admitted that none of the cameras even had sight of the rear of the car.

I certainly will not be using Wash and Shine in Manchester ever again and will be sure to warn my colleagues and friends of this incident.

Alfa drivers of Manchester - BEWARE...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Clearly one to stay away from.

Sorry you experienced such poor service.

#4 ·
i pass that place twice a day. shall i call in and ask for a valet, but specifically ask for the one where they don't damage the parking sensors? either that, or photoshop myself an ID badge for the dept of work & pensions or the uk border agency, i'm pretty sure that'd have half the staff in a right old panic

#6 ·
Thanks guys, just wanted to warn you all.

Obviously it was a simple accident and could have been recitifed easily and honourably with minimal fuss, but sadly they chose not to value £25 over integrity and service.

#10 ·
Yes thats the one.

It is a shame as I used to go there regularly a few years ago and they were always really friendly and professional. Got to know the owners quite well who were really into their cars - they owned some nice Ferraris and Mercs and always keen to chat to you about your car if you had something a bit special. They seemed like good guys and the place was always busy with lots of nice motors.

I had not been for a while before this weekend and it appears that they have changed ownership now sadly.

#13 · (Edited)
I don't believe this - I just sent an email round to all my colleagues and my life offices reps and got this back from my Prudential rep, who has only recently taken delivery of a new 59 plate BMW 3 Series Coupe as a company car:-

Well James we have both been done this weekend.

The same car wash scratched the paintwork on the boot of my car , the only justification they had was something rough must have got onto the sponge....... I remonstrated for an eternity but to no avail not to mention the fact I was becoming increasingly surrounded by the staff as a probably scare tactic.

Unbelievable. Coincidence, or further evidence of the type of business that these people are running? Given the odds I am compelled to believe the latter.

Definitely going to write to trading standards now and will be sure to cc Mohammed at Wash and Shine.

#14 ·
I agree with Alfatwice I like to look after my cars myself although I appreciate if you are using your car a lot it is tempting to let someone else do the hard work( I do occasionally put my company car through my local IMO but thats only when my wife refuses to get into it or I cant see where Im going :lol:)

#15 ·
Another example of shoddy / poor service. When these hand car washes started a few years ago, they were decent places. Trouble now is so many people have jumped on the band wagon as an easy way to make a few quid and because the work they do is payed for in cash, they could (possibly :)) avoid paying tax / national insurance etc. I have to agree with acapulco al, get the DWP and UK Border Agency involved. The place would be deserted within seconds haha.

#16 ·
Do as Al say's, DWP and the UK Border Agency are well overdue a visit i would say, i wouldn't mind betting he doesn't have public liability or a trader's vehicle insurance either.

#17 · (Edited)
Just spoke to Brian about his car - he says he noticed as soon as the wash was finished that there was a deep circular mark on the bootlid. When he looked closer he tells me it is a circular scratch that has gone down through the lacquer and the paint into the primer. Sounds nasty.
His company car department are now informed him he will have to take it to a BMW dealersip for repair under the terms of their car scheme.

I haven't seen the damage yet so cannot say for sure, but in my experience blowing over the bootlid would mean flicking the new paint into creases down the rear bumper and the rear flanks. Could easily be a £500 job - his paint is black with a slightly pearlescent finish.

Brian is also approaching Consumer Direct.

Sounds like it is not just the customer care that needs to improve at this place, but also staff training.

I don't want to make any sweeping statements or put anyone out of business over what is a relatively small misdemeanour - accidents happen. I just want them to behave honourably and do the right thing and the matter will be finished with.

If it encourages them to raise their standards then everyone wins - they will attract more business and customers will get better service and care.

#18 ·
From their "jobs" page:

"We need young attractive hard-working girls to work within the carwash and also flyering". Shows where their priorities lie. . . seems to be a certain amount of discrimination there?

#19 ·
Under UK employment laws that advert is illegal and can attract a hefty fine for discrimination. DWP will work on your behalf if they get 2+ complaints about the ad. He will be warned once and if he does it agian he will be fined.

If that fails i have a box of swan vesta you can borrow.

#20 ·
My local garage just called - all sorted but took longer than they expected. £40 plus VAT.

Will be sending a copy of the invoice to Wash and Shine and demanding they reimburse me otherwise I will pass it over to the small claims court.

#25 ·
Well just to keep you guys updated, my letter that I sent recorded delivery weeks ago never was never signed for so I have no proof Mohammed received it and as such cannot proceed to the next stage with Consumer Direct.

I suspect they simply refused to sign for it.

I thought about resending special delivery and giving them another two weeks to respond, but to be honest I am just so busy at the moment I have more important things to concentrate on so I am just going to forget it. In my office we have a saying when things go wrong - SUMO. Shut up and move on!

My visit to Wash and Shine ultimately cost me £10 for a valet that caused £47 worth of damage to my car. The proprietor blatantly lied to me when trying to squirm out of accepting responsibility and refused to show any integrity.

My mate whose BMW they scratched has also written to them and as of yet still has not received a reply. His repair tab has been picked up by his company - the whole rear boot lid had to be blown over and blended back into the rear flanks. I can guess how much that must have cost.

I shall never be using this place again obviously, and leave any readers to make up their own minds.

G
#26 ·
Personally I wouldn't let it drop. But that's me. I hate being ripped off.

I would stand outside with a big sign (and a few preferably big mates) until they paid me to go away. I'd take a film crew with me and post the film on YouTube if they didn't.

Nasty is as nasty gets :)

#27 ·
What a horrible experience and from a business relationship point of view a good example of how "not to treat the customer". For a few pounds and an apology he could have sorted the problem out and you would have in all likelyhood have continued to use him.

On the other hand this is yet another example of why one should stay away from valet shops and car washes. Sponges........sponges???!!!! Who in their right mind uses sponges? Next you will be telling us that they dry the car with a chamois.

#28 ·
The complaint procedure surely needs an overhaul, if all the business has to do to stop it in it's tracks is to simply ignore the letter?

#29 ·
Similar - ish

One of mine has been pushed in, guessing by some asbo glue-sniffing shoite (apologies to those who fit into this category and do not go around damaging cars !

It has not been pushed all the way through though as I can still see it but it goes ape in reverse.

Does anyone know if they are easy to get to through the boot?

As you look at the back of the car, it is the furthest to the right and the exhaust is in the way from underneath?

Any help please !!!!!

Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.