Alfa Romeo Forum banner

most reliable?

Tags
reliable
8K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Redd 
#1 ·
Simple question........................let's see what happens! :p

Out of all the 156 variants which is the most reliable,cheapest to maintain to have?

Just bought a 2.0,scared to drive it! :( :( :(

#3 ·
alfetta2000 said:
Simple question........................let's see what happens! :p

Out of all the 156 variants which is the most reliable,cheapest to maintain to have?

Just bought a 2.0,scared to drive it! :( :( :(
Too much power?
Too thirsty?
Bad handling?

Why... ??

I own a 2.0TS, she is fond of her juice returning approx 27mpg. Goes *quite* well but it would not over rate it in the performance stakes.

#4 ·
I have a 156 1.9 JTD 16V, which, touch wood, I have had no real problems with yet (owned for 3 months). It handles really well, goes like stink from cold, and averages over 40 mpg. :)

#5 ·
I've had my 2001 year 156 2.0TS for about 10 months. In that time it's had the starter motor replaced under warranty (it was squealing), 48K service (£175), 4 new tyres (eagle F1's at 'cost' price £240), cambelts and variator (warranty paid for variator and labour, I paid for parts £250).

The service and tyres are normal running costs, the cambelts were due anyway and I managed to wangle the variator out of the warranty company as it has just started making some rattling. I have since heard that the starter motor squeal could have been cured by simply cleaning it out.

I have not spent anything on the car since early Jan, when the belts were done.

Fuel consumption varies, but I usually get around 30mpg in mixed driving (got 370 miles out of the last tank).

All in all I am pretty pleased so far, much much more reliable than my old 145QV.

I would not be too paranoid, just keep an eye on the oil level and ensure the belts have been changed aporrox every 36,000.

Enjoy :D

#6 ·
the JTD's seem to be very reliable......But then Im biased having had two. :D

The 166 3.0 V6 16v and the newer 24v's never miss a beat in our experience too.

There's always the potential however for the crappy electrics to rear their ugly head in all variants.....

:D

#9 ·
Thanks for replies..interesting.

Yes I am paranoid as I have just bought a 156 2.0 with all its accompanying belts and bearings,after 8 years of trouble free 155 cam chain motoring. :)

Love driving the 156 as long as I can shut out the "dark side" :mad:

#11 ·
Why would you be scared to drive it ? The only thing that fails on the 2.0 TS that is going to cause damage is the timing belt.

So as long as you replace the belt and associated tensioner and bearings etc. every 3 years or 36k then there shouldn't be any problem - its about £350 job

There are a few other parts which fail but these just need replaced and don't cause any damage - I've put 60k on my TS without any major problems and it gets driven hard every day.

#12 ·
yes, the V6 is bombproof. the manual variants shd be quite reliable, too. also, the V6 automatic q-system gearbox is bombproof, too.

the TS engine is a bomb. watch that oil level!

redd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.