Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Top wishbone grease?

Tags
grease top
3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  kandlbarrett 
#1 ·
#8 ·
i have seen the sprays but this is about lubricating new wishbones before fitting and if there is any experience that suggests the red rubber brake grease is better than generic silicone grease.

The red rubber grease is certainly cheaper when you consider the quantity you get and will last me for probably 1,000 years (just like my coppa slip) but will it be at least as good as the more normally seen silicone greases.

#10 ·
Chris thank you - a reply that sounds like it comes from experience. Surprised the red dries but will take your advice. What grease do you use and where do I get it. it has proved surprisingly difficult to find a ready supply.

Top wishbones are waiting to be fitted and I had mentally decided and prepared to do them this W/E but the struggle to get the grease off the shelf defeated me.

After wishbones all the parts are ordered for cambelt.

That will just leave ARB knocking but 10 years old, 50,000 miles and no recorded belt change makes that a priority over ARB.

#12 ·
I have this product:
Greasil 4000, 63700L0017

i didnt buy from this supplier, but i have this product. i rang up a company that reburbs brake calipers, and i mentioned red rubber grease, and they don't use it as it dries out, they use silicone.

but ive used this pure silicone grease for the sliding pins on the calipers and they are perfect every time.

but for suspension bushes, this is the best stuff to me, as its water repelling and it doesnt melt and disperse

#13 ·
Zulu: yes but the rubber starts to squeak like heck before they are knackered. it's also my opinion that the squeaking is the rubber turning in the pins and that accelerats the wear. Any lubrication, but especially the right type, will quieten the squeaking and prolong the life of the rubber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.