Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Fiat Coupe Turbo 20v or GTV V6

13K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  Rich_wookey 
#1 ·
Has anyone had both from here?I am looking at one of each on Sunday. i have previously had a GTA, so would love something almost as quick. i am spending 2.5 tops

#3 ·
I've had both. I would say the Fiat is quicker and you do get a good shove when the turbo spins up. It's great for surprising people! On balance i would say the GTV handles better though. I spoiled the Fiat by putting Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks - way too hard on our roads. Have standard springs and Konis on the GTV and it's great. The Fiat's a great performance car though and you don't have the worry of the weak diff in the GTV. Having said that i never got the same feeling driving it or owning it as the GTV. The GTV just feels more special. What also surprised me though was how much smaller the GTV is. I kind of sold the idea of the GTV to my wife on the basis it was similar to the Fiat. However the boot is much smaller and there's much less room in the back. You can actually get 4 adults in the Coupe ok but no way in the GTV. The Fiat was well made - had no problems other than the exhaust manifold cracking which is common on the earlier cars. I did like the warbly 5 pot as well but there's really nothing that matches the Busso V6 with a nice exhaust and CDA! I doubt you'd be disappointed with either - tough call but for me GTV!

#4 ·
I did have a GTV TS a few years ago, and really did like the interior, but hated the boot and the lack of pace. I remember a set of golf clubs just fitted, but no chance for my cricket bag! there is a really nice silver/blue V6 on auto trader that i am finding intriguing

#5 ·
Fiat

Ive had both the 20VT and a Spider. The fiat is a brilliant car. The spider also very good. As you can tell, both my cars were/are yellow. Mechanically I found the fiat more robust and a little less worrisome. The acceleration in the coupe is great, the sound in the spider is better. Space wise no contest. Coupe far more practical. Handling is close but I give it to the fiat. Mine was all standard and that's how the engineers assumed the car would be for best performance. They were right. Looks are even. I loved the coupe's lines and simple details, but a soft top Alfa is no munter. Both comfy for the driver but seats in the coupe have far superior bolstering so you don't feel like you're sloshing around on the seats. Standard sound systems are poor. But that's why the engine exists!if you find a well cared example of either, you won't be disappointed.:thumbs:
Oh and V6 gtv/spiders only ;)

#6 ·
I have had 2 GTV V6's, and 2 Fiat Coupes (16VT and 20VT)

I would go for the Fiat.

Faster, more economical, smoother engine, doesn't suffer blown diffs, has more space inside, the rear suspension is easier to fix, and IMO as standard the Coupe handles better. My GTV's had a problem with dragging their sills along sleeping policemen even though they were not lowered.They also torque steered slightly where as the Coupe's didn't.
For around £100 you can also chip it to about 250bhp.

In the GTV's favour the engine sounds better, and IMO it looks slightly better. Plus it has an Alfa badge. :)

#8 ·
Have you got the Viscodrive fitted?

The 16VT coupe does torque steer though, but the 20VT doesn't.

#20 ·
My dad had a nearly new 20VT Plus many years ago.

I really wish he still had it.

6 speed box, leather recaros, white dials. One of the best, if not the best car has has ever owned.

The car is still fairly local, and had been tuned to over 300bhp when I saw it for sale last time.

#23 ·
How does the fuel compaire to GTA?

#28 ·
I found in general use the Coupe 20VT (6 speed) was about the same as the GTA - maybe a touch better.

But on a long cruise at motorway speeds, it blew the GTA out of the water. Presumably because the turbo wasn't kicking in.

General usage was between 24-27 mpg, similar to my GTA. But on the long run, the Coupe went up to 36mpg opr better. The GTA stays about the same!

#24 ·
On mine I averaged high twenties when it was was chipped, the best I had on a run was 36mpg.

I think the fuel economy is relatively good because it has a huge chunk of midrange grunt, which means you don't have to rev it too much.

A 6 speed version should be better still on fuel, as the 5 speed version is still quite short geared in top.

#25 ·
I am heading towards the 20v to be honest now, thanks for all your inputs. i am going to check for rust etc, but looks like I could pick one up for about 1300 quid, might need new brakes, but i am just going to really check for rust etc. if it is no good then the v6 will be back in the frame!

#26 ·
They really are great value :D

#27 ·
They are not ttoo bad for rust to be honest, although they are getting on in years now.

Make sure it has had the cambelt and clutch done recently, as both of these jobs are quite expensive. They don't have a dual mass flywheel like a V6 GTV so that is another thing you don't have to worry about.

#29 ·
Just put the 20V T in an Alfa :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.