Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Rhoddy Harvey Bailey kit for 156

9K views 92 replies 17 participants last post by  Mogens 
#1 ·
I know this has been discussed many times before but I wanted to know who has tried it.

I probably need to buy new shocks this year and thought I might as well go for the Ebspares kit.

Anyone able to recommend it?

#2 ·
My kit is on its way. Stay tuned.... ;)

#3 ·
Wisrute - so you are not happy with the setup you have?

#5 ·
Pascs said:
Wisrute - so you are not happy with the setup you have?
Pascs, I like the Sachs Performance kit, but I'm not happy with the offset of the Siena wheels (30mm vs 40.5mm of AR rims). They cause a lot of unwanted kick-back through the steering wheel. I've been waiting long enough for 17x7 forged wheels with 38 - 40mm offset. Not even a Japanese tuner is making them, they're all 31mm or 30mm offset. I don't feel like driving my lowered 156 with 16" wheels. Plus the lowered ride height is causing frequent damages to the front spoiler. :mad: I'm tired of fixing it.

So, I'm going for that 15mm lower ride height and will probably sell the front spoiler, wheels and tires (going back to 16" Teledials), just to pay for the RHB kit! :D This should make the car more driveable on our bumpy roads.

#6 ·
It's a shame to sell those lovely Siena wheels - are you sure its the offset that's causing the problem.

I've fitted 15mm spacers to clear the Brembo kit on my 16" wheels, so the offset is now worse than you (26mm) and it drives OK. There is some kick when catching a bump in the road wrongly but otherwise its fine.

I do have standard height suspension due to the poor roads here so that might make a difference too - was thinking just to go for the RHB shocks and keep the springs for a later date in case I decide to lower it.

I'm so used to getting over speed bumps without the slightest problem that it would be hard to change.

#7 ·
wisrute, keep the front spoiler for now.

i am on sportspack springs and konis - abt 15mm lowering - and my zender front spoiler doesn't hit anything. :)

if ur scraping ur spoiler from bottoming out, invest in an OMP lower brace or antiroll kit. both will reduce bottoming out without sacrificing too much on ride comfort.

redd

#8 ·
Redd said:
i am on sportspack springs and konis - abt 15mm lowering - and my zender front spoiler doesn't hit anything. :)
Thanks, Redd. How do you like your suspension? I know a guy here who's running the same set up on his SW 2.0TS, but have never tried or ridden in his car.

Redd said:
if ur scraping ur spoiler from bottoming out, invest in an OMP lower brace or antiroll kit. both will reduce bottoming out without sacrificing too much on ride comfort.
Actually I am considering the Eibach anti-roll bars kit. It's available here in town. But I'll see how I like the RHB kit before adding anything else.

#9 ·
wisrute, just the konis and sportspack springs is a comfort setup. bodyroll is still there and only a wee bit better than stock. i wasnt willing to sacrifice too much on comfort anyway so im happy with it.

to handle the bodyroll i installed the eibach antiroll kit and its the best money ive spent on my car yet! it does make the ride a little harder but the performance is amazing. there is now only very slight body roll and grip is greatly improved. best of all, the konis+sportspack is still compliant enough to soak up mid-corner bumps so the car doesn't unsettle so easily. high-speed stability is greatly improved with the ARBs and hitting 200 on rough roads doesn't unsettle the car. if handling is ur cuppa tea u MUST invest in a set of ARBs!

redd

#10 ·
JowettGeoff in the Owners Club who has just fitted it, and has mixed opinions on it:

from AROC UK forum....

Harvey Bailey suspension now fitted...
I first need to say that my car is a Veloce spec (AKA Sportpack 3) so was therefore already on lower and stiffer suspension than standard. Tyres are Continental Conti Sport Contact which are quite stiff but seem to suit the car. Suspension bushes are standard.
First the bad news. The HB kit has not cured the low speed jiggley ride on poor surfaces. In fact it's somewhat worse, with road shocks causing some dashboard squeaks and rattles that weren't there before. So, contrary to a recent comment in Autocar, this is not a halfway house between Alfa's Sportpack and standard suspension. But there is some good news! As speed rises, the improved body control shines through, particularly at the rear.
Previously if the car was pushed on a poor road, it would hop and bounce around in a way that suggested the springs, dampers and tyre walls were all trying to do their own thing. Now the car rides rather like a BMW 3 Series on sports suspension (that's meant to be a compliment!). Also it sits about 12mm lower than even the Sportpack setup, so the engine undertray is getting some stick (Autocar were right about that), although the front doesn't dive as much as it did, so the problem is mitigated to some extent.
Some familiar road irregularities are less noticeable, whereas others that were not previously noticed now show their presence.
Roll seems to be better controlled and the lateral rocking motion that was present on some roads is much reduced.
In summary then, this kit was obviously developed as a sporting alternative (as you would expect from ex-racer Rhoddy Harvey Bailey). It's not a soft option to Sportpack, but does make the car seriously capable when pushed, in stark contrast to the factory setup which struggled to maintain composure on anything other than a billiard table surface.
I think I'll grow to like it, but the wife might have other ideas, since to enjoy it, it will be necessary for me to drive more quickly than before!
Then there was a later post:
Having covered some more mileage over last weekend I seriously considered whether I should revert to the original springs, because the unsettled ride is proving to be quite unpleasant. From what you say about your car however, it may be the dampers that are to blame. There's no doubt that the car handles better at high speed and over undulations - the faster you go, the better it gets. In my case I detect a very slight increase in understeer (perhaps due to the stiffer front end).

#11 ·
Redd said:
to handle the bodyroll i installed the eibach antiroll kit and its the best money ive spent on my car yet!
Cheers, Redd. That's what I've been told from another 156 driver here. ARB kit will be next, then! :D

@Rick, I assume the comment quoted is based on a 4-cylinder 156 with 16" wheels? :confused:

#12 ·
rick, i can understand what that guy is saying. with the 156 any increase in suspension hardness - whether thru harder springs/dampers, PU bushes or ARB - will make the low-speed ride on rough surfaces harsher. i experienced the same with my konis + sportspack springs, even with the konis only on quarter turn.

steering feedback is also harsher. u literally feel very rut in the road. it can make the car more tiring to drive.

i'm beginning to suspect alfa intentionally made their stock setup so floaty to compensate for this. :confused:

but tank it on the twisty bits and it all comes together. its all a compromise...

redd

#14 ·
The sportpack 2 and 3 setup from Alfa Romeo is the best solution as I hear from different users, some of them have tried 3 sets (i.e. Eibach, Koni etc) but they all have nasty side effects...
so I will stick to my SP2 on 17in AR wheels thank you

#15 ·
Rare, bit confused here I thought SP1, SP2 and SP3, were the same set up just with different seats. :confused:
Dissapointed to see the negative feedback on the RHB Kit I thought it might have been a good investment, but if it makes the ride even wose, than I don't think I could live with it.
Does anybody know what this new 'Comfort suspension' is that AR are introducing on the new 147?. The short review I read was farly complimentary of it.

#16 ·
IanM said:
Dissapointed to see the negative feedback on the RHB Kit I thought it might have been a good investment, but if it makes the ride even wose, than I don't think I could live with it.
Ian, I'm on the 4th suspension set up, and I can think of a negative feedback for all them. :D But I do agree that the RHB kit is quite an investment.

I believe that Geoff's problem can be (partially) improved by using different tires and tire pressure. Anyway, I hope my kit will arrive around Friday.

#17 ·
But he says the suspension kit is lower than Sportpack - so that is not the suspension kit that is recommended by Ebspares

#19 ·
Pascs said:
But he says the suspension kit is lower than Sportpack - so that is not the suspension kit that is recommended by Ebspares
That's right. Is Goeff using the red Eibach (Pro-kit) springs? I personally did not like those pro-kit springs (with either OEM dampers or Koni). Others who are using them with Eibach's own dampers have better things to say about them, though they all think Sachs is more comfortable.

BTW, EB Spares will supply the following variant of RHB kit:

- Shocks only
- Shocks with red Eibach (pro-kit) springs (30-35mm lowering)
- Shocks with blue Eibach springs (RHB spec, 15mm lowering)

My kit is the 3rd one.

#20 ·
Thats true Rick - I just read it yesterday and was sure it said they didn't recommend to lower it more than 15mm - but infact it was in an email from Ebspares that they have said that.

"We can also offer 30mm lowering springs, but don't advise you go that low for normal road use"

#21 ·
Pascs said:
I probably need to buy new shocks this year
Pascs, you're running out of time. :D

Are you considering the whole kit or just the shocks?

#23 ·
#24 ·
Wisrute B. said:
Pascs, you're running out of time. :D

Are you considering the whole kit or just the shocks?
Christmas present ;)

Would probably order the complete kit (springs are cheap in comparison to the shocks) but just fit the shocks for now - I'm not too keen to low the front with the roads we have here but 15mm might be OK

#25 ·
Here's more info from Geoff:

My springs are the blue ones (just a bit lower than the Veloce ones, and a fair bit lower than standard). I would guess the red ones might be a bit unsuitable for UK roads.
Kevin at EBS did suggest that my original Veloce springs would work fine with the Bilsteins, but since HB had developed springs and dampers as a package, it seemed to make sense to go the whole hog. I was finally swayed by the (flawed) Autocar comments about them being a half-way-house.
Following on from above, I've had a good look through the interesting link you gave me. I can confirm that I'm on original 16" wheels with 205/55 R16 Continentals. I run them at a lowly 28psi to give a bit more compliance. Interestingly, before the HB convesrion, I fitted some Pirelli P6000s in an attempt to soften the ride. Sadly, because the tyre walls flexed more, the ride was actually worse, because the suspension, by not working so hard, was relying on the undamped tyre walls. Ironically therefore the overall effect was worse than before! (Plus they were as noisy as hell, and, I later learned, the speed rating was wrong!!!). The Contis are fairly quiet, last well, and give loads of lateral grip especially in the wet (but they're absolutely crap on ice/snow - or is it just the car?).
Incidentally, I borrowed a standard 147 1.6 the other day, and the ride was heavenly!
I don't want to unfairly knock the HB kit though. The car undoubtedly handles better than before - by some margin. It really inspires confidence when you're pushing on. I just shouldn't have expected the ride to be converted into that of an XJ6!
One last word on the ride height - the HB blue springs are supposed to be 15mm lower than standard, and the red ones lower still. Notwithstanding, my car is lower than it was (probably by 10-12mm from its original Sportpack/Veloce setup, which itself was lower than standard). I can't explain this - but there it is!!!
Geoff McAuley AROC
Thanks to Geoff for his quick reply!
;)

#26 ·
RicksAlfas said:
Here's more info from Geoff:

Thanks to Geoff for his quick reply!
;)
Cheers guys. 28psi is very low pressure indeed. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.