Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Boot lid

Tags
lid
2K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  NineOneSix 
#1 ·
My Gtv has been sitting waiting for me to sort her out, so yesterday I decided to put a battery on and start her up. I could not get the boot lid open. I have pushed and pulled to no effect, any ideas.

#5 ·
Magic button..............what magic button????
I am putting the key in and turning it clockwise, I can feel it engage, if you like but it not releasing the catch. As I only have one key I am temped to get another cut and try more pressure. I have pushed and pulled on the lid while turning the key without success. Needless to say I would like to do this without damage.

#11 ·
OK, one way round the problem may be to get power to the car via another method and use the glovebox button. If the car is a phase 1, just connect a 12v source temporarily to the cigarette lighter. Press the glovebox button and the boot should open.

If you have a phase2/3, try connecting 12v to some other permanently live point e.g. the branch terminal on the near side inner wing in the engine bay ( it's a square black box under the header tank - you may have to remove the inlet ducting to get at it ).

#14 ·
Sorry about the delay in replying, I thought about finding a "live" somewhere on the car so today I will give it a go.
I will update later. Thanks for the input so far.
As an aside comment, I have had this car for several years now, due to family commitments it has not been used for ages, however I have to say that it is one of the best cars I have driven, surprisingly quick and very comfortable.
I am hanging on to it hoping I may get use out of it at some time. That said I have been offered a spider and I am tempted.

#15 ·
Yea, boot lid now open, not really sure what did the trick, connected power thru one of the cooling fans and when I pushed the button all I heard was a whirring sound, I tried to use the key again and perhaps used a little more force than earlier and bingo, boot popped, fantastic. Thanks for the advice.

#20 ·
It's on the right hand side, it faces downwards, and you push it up. It's black and unmarked - there's a smaller button behind it that switches the glovebox light off when it's shut.

Just feel around the right hand edge - also note that it doesn't work if the engine is running.

#27 ·
Thought for a minute you meant you somehow stored your laptop behind the blank switch panel ... had me puzzled! :)

Isn't there a way to deadlock the boot so it can't be opened from the switch? On the GTV you seem to be able to turn the key further than you need to lock it, doesn't seem to make any difference though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.