Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Have I bought a lemon?

Tags
bought lemon
1K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Chris M 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

Just posted my newbie post a few moments ago but having browsed through the rest of the forum am a bit concerned with my new purchase.....

Its getting that diesel noise on starting. Only lasts a second or two, then goes and doesnt come back. Car has 34K on the clock and the dealer assures me it was serviced before I picked it up yesterday and has given me a 1yr warranty. Car is registered 09/01. Its a 147 1.6 TS Lusso.

It has to go back on Wednesday to have a very slight body modification. Should I take this time to mention the variator or is it nothing to worry about. Dunno how long it has sat unstarted for on the forecourt so it might just be due to non usage.

Thanks for any help!

Mal

#2 ·
Hi Mal, welcome aboard :)

About that sound... as long it's just a very short period, say 1, 2 seconds, there's no major problem. And as long it doesn't do it every time you start the engine.

Have you checked the oil level?

#3 ·
I havent checked the oil, but I will first thing tomorrow. The sound doesnt happen if the car has been driven and them stopped and started again shortly after, say getting petrol, but might if its been left to sit and the engine has cooled. Does this make a difference? Thanks again, Mal.

#4 ·
malsphone said:
I havent checked the oil, but I will first thing tomorrow. The sound doesnt happen if the car has been driven and them stopped and started again shortly after, say getting petrol, but might if its been left to sit and the engine has cooled. Does this make a difference? Thanks again, Mal.
Hows things.New member with a new (to me) alfa.About your concern, my 147 does exactly the same and iv heard another the same so i think it`s probably normal on a cold start. My car is going back to AR wednesday (also). A airbag failure light on the dash lit up.

#5 ·
theres no harm in asking them to check your variator for you. plus its under warranty so get it sorted out before you have to fork out after your warranty finishes. ;)

mine is the same car as yours and it had the same problem but its fixed under warranty. they shouldnt sound like a diesel at all unless variator like you have mentioned or the car has been floored too hard when it was new. :eek:

G
#7 ·
if youv'e only just bought the car tell them u want the variater changeing as it will effect performance and fuel consumption and while there at it tell them that as the cambelt has had to be removed for them to get to the variater make sure they put a new tensioner on and a new belt then your next service will be a lot less expensive :D

G
#9 ·
Hi there

Its definetely a faulty cam variator. My 02 147 1,6 had exactly the same symptoms and the diesel sound only got worse. It was replaced a year after i first noticed the sound. The diesel sound was then very irritating.

You better have it replaced, as the sound is bound to increase and performance decrease.

tormod

#10 ·
To be honest I wouldn't expect the dealer to replace the variator under these circumstances.
It would be akin to him having to replace the sparkplugs prior to the 60k recommended service interval...
It's not a major problem, it's just normal wear and tear.

#12 ·
oakerz said:
Had the same noise on my 156. Had the variator changed with the cam belt recently which has cured the rattle.
Apart from a *diesel* sound what other effect does it have.

My 156, i'm disappointed in its top end performance.... i expected it to be a rocket but once its gets to 4500rpm its a pretty linear power response..... could my variator be defective. It does sound a little loud upon start up but according to my mechanic the varitor is fine.

#16 ·
Fantastic! :)

#19 ·
Black Beauty said:
Apart from a *diesel* sound what other effect does it have.

My 156, i'm disappointed in its top end performance.... i expected it to be a rocket but once its gets to 4500rpm its a pretty linear power response..... could my variator be defective. It does sound a little loud upon start up but according to my mechanic the varitor is fine.
I'm not surprised it feels linear from 4500rpm; if you look at the curves, that's where peak torque is. :)

#20 ·
when the variator makes the rattling noise it doesnt actually affect the performance it still works just with a rattle some cars go through there whole life without needing one others like my old 155 1.8 had three in 4 years each requiring a cambelt change. i am pleased your dealer has changed yours on the warranty as i did not think they would do it .

#21 ·
I managed to get the warranty company to cough up for my noisy variator, but they would not pay for the belts, tensioners, bearing etc. They did cover the labour tho. Worked out pretty well tho as the car had done 45K and I did not really want to leave the belts any longer :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.