Alfa Romeo Forum banner

So I've taken the plunge..

Tags
plunge
1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Cream 
#1 ·
Bid for and won a pristine looking 03 reg 156 16v Multijet 1.9 Black Alfa Romeo on EBay.
This will be my first Alfa so can't wait to get behind the wheel of her.
Just hope I'm not on here posting about problems!
Low mileage and cambelt recently done so hoping for the best. :)

#2 ·
Not far from your situation myself, eBay also - a '98 156 Twin Spark 2.0, 150k+ on the clock but at £400 I'm not worred. In all honesty I had no interest in Alfa Romeo's before getting mine but after having it just a week I'm fully converted. MOT due 05/2012 though so we'll see if I'm still smiling after that. ;)

Even if I get a whopper bill though I won't be getting rid, even happy with a full overhaul as long as it doesn't all come/go at once.

#3 ·
There are plenty of "how to" guides on here...

The 156 is a great car, small, fun and nimble compared to what else there is around for similar money.

150,000 miles is nothing to be scared of - I've seen 2.0 petrols at 289,000 and a 2.4 diesel at 360,000!

Hope you both enjoy, pics and updates would be nice....:thumbs:

#9 ·
Sorry folks,

have a question?

The fella I'm buying off has told me the car I'm buying in his words...

" There is a squeak from the front suspension bushes which I would expect from any 9 year old car and can be rectified by any competent garage at little cost.."

Just wondering is this as he suggests a fairly minor and relatively inexpensive job or am I letting myself in for a nasty experience having to sort it?

Would really appreciate any advice on this. Ta.

#10 ·
Probably the upper wishbones. Try the search on here, or I have a "How-to" on my greenserpent website .. but it's not my best. I could really do with writing it with more pics, etc. Just waiting for them to start squeaking! ;)

#13 ·
I know what you mean there, I'm hooked with mine, washed and waxed in the early hours of this morning. :p Loving everything about it, not even taken it into 4th gear yet as I get plenty of power in 3rd. Slightly heavy gearbox but I think that's more my driving style, I need to slow down a little and concentrate on my gear changes.

All-in-all though, £400 was a steal even if it is a '98, I consider myself lucky atm. :)
My last was a yamaha motorbike ('97), bought late 2010 and very little went wrong, well minus the exhaust falling off but it was aftermarket. I guess I've been lucky with older vehicles.

(BTW OP sorry for coming and joining in on your thread hehe)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.