Alfa Romeo Forum banner

159 Replacing GT

Tags
replacing
1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Alfa.Romeo 
#1 ·
After a heart wrenching decision, I will be changing my fantastic GT 2.0 JTS for a 159 2.2 Lusso tomorrow. I'm genuinely gutted to see the GT go. It's been the best car I have ever owned, but with our first grandchild on the way, it's time to get something a little more spacious in the back.

So we test drove a 2006 159 (56K miles), and I have to say, I was really impressed with the refinement and drive. A very different experience to the GT, but still exciting enough to set the pulse racing ! It seems to be fully loaded with kit with leather, front/rear parking sensors, what I think is auto wipers/lights (large box next to rear view mirror ?) and tons of other toys.

I've had a good trawl of the forum, so I'm aware of the issues (hesitation, steering rack wear, front tyre wear, suspension parts made from biscuits etc) but I'd be really interested in fellow owners experiences of the 159 and what you like/dislike about it. Specifically I'd be really interested in the following :

My old GT drank 10W60 for fun, what's the oil consumption like on the 2.2 JTS ?

The GT averaged about 30mpg - what should I expect from the 159 ?

Any electrical issues ? (the GT is well known for electric window issues)

Does the stereo have an Aux in for ipod/mp3 ?

Will I still get the 'Alfa Wave' in a 159 ?!!!

Cheers !:thumbs:

Steve

See less See more
G
#2 ·
My 2.2 JTS never used much oil...but then my 2.0 JTS didn't either so must have been lucky there

mid 20's mpg due to extra weight and of course a slightly bigger engine

no electrical issues on any of my 159's

no aux in and unless Bose the CD may not be mp3 compatible

not sure about an Alfa wave as don't really take mch notice of those driving the cars as more interested in the cars themselves :lol:

...oh and try and get one with 18" wheels if you can as I think 17"'s look too small for a car of it's size

#3 ·
Cheers Graham ! You must have been lucky with your JTS ! Both of the TS 156s I owned and the JTS used plenty of oil !

The car I have bought has 17" wheels which I think look OK, but I know what you mean. I see a 159 Ti regularly, and it looks fantastic with the bigger rims (19" I think).

G
#4 ·
The 2.0 Twinsparks I had used a hell of alot of oil so with you there. Never had such issues with 3.2's either

What colour is the car you have bought? I do like the 159's, they look fantastic (especially that grill and those lights), are very well built and are extremely safe. I've had a 2.2, 2.4 and a couple of 3.2's. The 3.2's were great but I enjoyed the 2.2. I had mine remapped with a induction and ragazzon exhaust. Wish I had kept in now I'm thinking about it :lol:. Hopefully will get another one when I can afford a Ti. Have fun

#8 ·
I've had my 2.2 Sportwagon now for a few months after a 2005 156 2.0 JTS. Can't believe the difference in build quality. It's light years away from the 156 or any previous Alfa I've had. Some issues with hesitation but have sort of changed my driving style to accommodate it. Not really a problem now. MPG probably mid 20's but we don't do a lot of miles so not an issue. I thought I'd miss the 156 but the 159 even in Sportwagon mode is pretty nippy. Love the twin exhausts!! :p

#9 ·
OK. Picked the car up yesterday, and here are my first impressions after 24 hrs :

1. Looks fantastic, inside and out. There is no better looking saloon car on sale in this country - end of.
2. Masses of kit, lot of car for the money (used !). Love the Rubino Red colour.
3. Very well put together, feels much more substantial than my old GT
4. Quiet vs the GT - engine and wind/tyre noise massively reduced. Loved the snorty sound of the GT, but could be tiresome on longer journeys.The 159 is massively more refined.
5. Feels heavy vs GT - will take a bit of getting used to, but nothing I can't live with
6. Comfortable but surprisingly planted. Suspension far less 'crashy' than the GT, but holds the road just as well
7. Feels a lot less agile around town driving - GT was more 'point and squirt', the 159 less so due to size
8. Acceleration from standing is at first disappointing vs GT (probably cos it's a lot heavier), but as you move through the gears, you realise the power and pull just keeps coming. Work the engine at higher revs for max smiles :D
9. I'm sticking my fingers in my ears, not listening to my learned friends on this forum and pretending that the fuel economy will be about the same as my old 2.0 JTS (c30 mpg). I'm not looking at the fuel economy on the info system, so as far as I know, it is !!!
10. Explaining to the missus why she doesn't have to worry about turning the head lights on (auto) or why accidently changing from 6th to 3rd at speed is not good has been interesting, but having memory seats and mirrors is fantastic as she is a short arse and the one button reset to my settings is ace !!

So in summary, it's a very different experience than the GT, but ya know what ? I think I'm going to like if just as much, if not for different reasons. This is a VERY nice car, and I'm VERY pleased. Not missing the GT quite as much as I thought I would.......:)

#11 ·
And that's the thing I really can't get my head around A.R. !

A 2006 fully loaded Lusso with just over 50K on the clock for less than £5 grand.......surely the 159 is the best kept secret in the used compact exec class !! A huge amount of car for the money.......

#12 ·
So many people still cant bring themselves to buy an Alfa, and foolishly believe german cars never go wrong. The 159 are no less reliable than an equivilant 3 series, passat or C class. But, its fine by me because it means i get a great car for not a huge amount of money :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.