Alfa Romeo Forum banner

timing belt query

Tags
query timing
1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  johnmc7 
#1 ·
my brother in laws 01 2.4jtd was by the previous owner mean,t to have changed the timing
belt, but now the car has a noise from timing belt tensioner . sounds like a bearing.
i told him to change the timing belt with a new kit, but is woried about driving it any more
in case the bearing fails and wrecks the timing belt. would it be still safe to drive for a few days
untill the kit comes.

#3 ·
I was convinced what turned out to be my aux belt tensioner was the air con compressor clutch. It made a rattling noise when the air con was switched on, and you could see the belt snatching and moving slightly side to side. I doubted the air con was the cause and so it turned out. The tensioner is £100 or so on the 2.4!

#4 ·
On mine the adjustable idler was whirring, it was about £30 from memory. Aux belt separated from the cam belt only by the plastic cover and can foul the cam belt if it fails making it jump. I'm sure cam idlers and tensioners can fail but when I changed mine at 165,000 miles they seemed fine, they must be fairly robust. Previous owner put a belt only on at 95,000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.