Alfa Romeo Forum banner

156 JTS Lusso Anneversary advice

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Ross 156 
#1 ·
Getting a little frustrated of being Alfaless for about 5 months.

I'm looking at a 2003 JTS 2.0 with 99 k km on it.
Will take it for a test drive next week. Looks very good.

Bright red
17" alloys
Light yellow leather interior
Heated seats
Armrest
Car computer
Cruise control
Tinted windows
Bose audio

One thing I'm not clear about is the up-to-date timing belt rules for the JTS engine. Seller claims it was changed at 65 k km and that it needs to be carried out end of this year/next year although it has been about 3-4 years since the last time. :confused:

Should it be done at 60 k km / 3 years like T.S.?

I would appreciate any advice regarding what to look for and ask regarding this particular vehicle during the test drive.

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a 53 plate 156 2.0 JTS

The issues are also written up on another post for 156 (general stuff):

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/316055-is-this-used-156-a-good-buy.html

Specifically for the JTS, people often suffer injector issues at around 40k-50k intevals (mine have just been done for second time at 99k- first time around 50k). This will manifest as a misfire or loss of power. To do a basic test, drive the car up a steep hill in third or pretend you are overtaking someone like you would on an A-road. If it judders/loses power it could be that issue.

Other than that mine has been a joy to own. I did have some suspension work done a while ago as it was squeeking- but that is covered in the other post, and you must make sure the cam belt is done at 36k intevals or 3 years, whichever comes soonest. This is a known weak spot on 156s and must be taken seriously.

Also- they do use a reasonable amount of oil- there is no leak on my car anywhere, and also no signs of oil migration into the coolant, but it does need regularly topping up, particularly after a long/fast run. I have come to the conclusion it drinks it! Make sure it is topped up in the car you look at.

Hope that helps.

Ross

#5 ·
I replaced them all. You can get them tested, but it takes time, which was more of a nuissance than replacing them.

The injectors cost £65/each and there are 4 of them. I did it working with/assisting my mechanic, and it took under 5 hours.

The problem I had was working through other possibilities to get to the point of knowing it was the injectors- I replaced other things first, which I probably didn't need to. The ECU fault codes are not very specific. Knowing what I know now about injectors in JTS engines, I would go straight there if I had it again- although I doubt I'll still have the same Alfa in another 50k!

There are not that many JTS engines around (particularly in 156's) and other engines don't suffer the same injector issue, so people don't generally think to go there straight away.

That said, it is a great responsive engine, and I have enjoyed (and still do enjoy) this car more than any other I have owned.

#8 ·
Having had both the original and facelift 156, I'm not sure which I prefer. Sometimes I look at the facelift and think it looks much better, but then see a pre facelift again and am not so sure........

If your 156 has the 16" multispokes I agree they look to small. Replaced mine with a set of 16" teledials which somehow look much bigger (and much better IMO). Did think about putting 17's on but the cost of new tyres and the potential of an even worse ride put me off!!!

#11 ·
Be aware of the front cat , built into engine exhaust,that part alone will set you back 800 £ + work.
16 inch wheels will give you a much better drive, I regret my 17" alloys, 225/45 x 17 they are noisy and tend to follow the truck grooves on the highway,they look damned good and they are always in my prayer at night after one incident including a truck coming towards me in my lane in a fast curve, those Pirelli + brembo max + EBC green stuff stoppede the car just in time!!!!!:p

William Lütken

Want more : Alfa Romeo 156

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.