Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Glow Plug Error GT jtd 1.9

Tags
error glow plug
42K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  DannyBoy999 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I keep getting a glow plug error, every now and again. Am guessing one of my glow plugs need replacing. Where is the best place to buy a new set from?? and are they easy to fix??

Thanks
Tim

#29 ·
Dont understand why same peolpe is so negative about this. Yes in most cases you only need to change one. The jdt is a four silinder. You can buy one at your local alfa dealer. Tools you need is a ten socket and a number nine long reach socket. Time of job about 5 min. If you decide only to replace the one start to replace the one on no4 piston. That is usely the the common one to go. If still receive the error carry on using the old no4 on no3 untill the error is gone. In the summer you wont realy exsperience a lot of problems but in the winter you wish you have done it. If you dont mind paying you can replace all four they are a bit exspensive. it any problems just email me and i will give pictures on how to do it. paulmx6@yahoo.co.uk

#30 ·
Out of all the times I've seen this problem its rarely been plugs.

G
#31 ·
I changed the glow plugs as a first measure and it made no difference, I'm convinced its the fuel filter heater that lets me down but it costs a bomb! You were working for Auto lusso last time we spoke, where are you now? Still in peterborough?

#32 ·
It sounds like the small glow plug ecu - pm your chassis number. Since then a certain person at auto lu$$o screwed me over on my job. I had to move back to Peterborough I then got a job at Mercedes Benz truck after 11 months the garage lost the Mercedes franchise and got made redundant last week :( but found a temp job that may turn into a permanent job :)

#34 · (Edited)
I had the glowplug relay go on my 147 when I got it, then it failed again the next year. Changing the plugs had no effect and it really struggled to start first thing in the morning. My battery died too, but even with a fresh one the same symptoms remained until the relay was replaced.

#36 ·
I believe it may be on the offside of the engine bay. Only under vague memory though.

G
#37 ·
Ah so I may have a faulty control unit.

1st thing in morning every day car starts fine and no glow plug error. On any other start of the day once it's been used I get the flashing glow plug error but if I get the light flashing and just turn key off and on again it behaves as normal. Was thinking if an actual glow plug was at fault it wouldn't behave like this.

So what's the little box I need? I have a 2005 20v mjet

#38 ·
Had a similar problem to yours, intermittent at first then eventually permanent. It was two dead glowplugs, not the control unit, so if I were you, I'd check the resistance of each glowplug with a multimeter and replace any that are open circuit first. It's easier to measure the resistance at the control unit connector than the plugs themselves and this way, you check the wiring as well.

G
#41 ·
Think I found my issue....

Was out looking for something else entirely and decided to wiggle the plugs etc. for the glow plugs.

Glow plug socket (bit that attaches to glow plug) has split half way up and there is a bit of spring like material poking out if it.... So reckon I will change this first and see if that is the issue. I pushed back together and wedged it vertical and didn't get error but maybe that was fluke.

Still first thing to change I think.

John

G
#44 ·
Just had to back up what alexie said. You will find the glow plugs have a very low resistance and if you can take the time to connect them to a battery just make sure they glow on the end of the plug. You might get the right resistance but it might not be at the very tip of the plug. I changed a full set of plugs and it made no difference, so I got as far as the ECU and then merry xmas got wiped out by an uninsured driver!!

#45 ·
same problem with my 147 & the glow plug light showing, looked around for replacements.
found "BERU" type,
@ "eurocarparts =£19.50 each.
@ "mister auto" = £6.50 each , £32 inc postage for 4.
pays to shop around,
just got to fit them now ????
good luck.

G
#46 ·
A word from the wise....
Always replace in FULL SETS, They have a service period life 36,000 to 48,000 dependent on environment and are all fitted from new at the same time in the factory.
Any reputable service department also changes them as full sets at the same time. Changing one or two will result in the older ones failing within weeks so back to square one!

Disconnect the battery completely before changing the glow plugs

When buying the plugs make sure that they are matching make, brand and numbers. Beware of Ebay cheap deals that post out different brands, they have different operating timing and heat factors dependent on the manufacturer's tolerances!

Before refitting:
Re-attach the battery, attach the ignition rail to all the new glow plugs and place them on a baking tray to prevent any heat damage. You can earth it if you need too.
Turn the ignition to MAR only (ignition on).
All you want to do is to test them quickly to see if the glow/heat process is uniformal so that they all glow/pre-heat at the same time frame and of the same illumination (heat consistency)... It should take a maximum of thirty seconds to test.... Once you are happy, turn ignition off and disconnect the battery and reinstall them.

It is Not unknown to have one or even two glow plugs in a new batch to fail, this test will show any weaknesses before fitting and then prevent the throwing of a red herring before going hunting for another fault when all along it was a duff new glow plug.

If one is not working as it should, simply take it back to the supplier for a replacement, but unfortunately you will have to check it all again... Just in case
Been there, done that, got the T shirt !

It's sound advice to also change the heater plug relay at the same time and clean the contacts up... For the cost of the relay itself, you then have peace of mind the the circuit is in good working order for at least three further years.

PS... stay away from using Ether (aka easy start) Diesels love the stuff but once you use it more than once, it will always need it on cold mornings like a junky needs a fix

Hope this helps

#47 · (Edited)
I've had this issue for 3 years on my 1.9 JTD. Replaced all 4 plugs and the relay, worked for a while and then the error came back again. If I clear the error using a mate's diagnostic machine it can stay off for days or weeks but eventually returns. The car always starts without missing a beat so I don't believe there's a genuine fault there (at least not one I'm worried about). Does anyone know if there's a fuse or something I can pull to stop the error coming up? The little beep every time I start the car drives me nuts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.