Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Fast Road "TS" Project

Tags
fast road
32K views 306 replies 33 participants last post by  PJ3074 
#1 · (Edited)
Fast Road/Track day "TS" Project

Ok guys and girls here's the new project I just picked her up today!

Managed to drop the old oil out and refill with new, also added Wynn's hydraulic valve lifter treatment.
Changed the air filter (the old 1 was black!) the box was jammed closed with the normal faulty bolts that hold the lid closed :rolleyes: fixed this also.
The only obvious fault was a split air intake hose, made the car idle rough :D

She's a lovely flakey "affect" silver :lol: 113509 miles,
The car has new tyres (Pirelli's all round)
New standard exhaust from the cat back
Rebuilt head 3 years ago due to cam belt failure (its due a new 1)

She needs alot of TLC to get her back to her best but this will be fun :thumbs:

#35 · (Edited)
There has been progress on the GTV over the last couple of weeks.....

The scuttle panel had a small crack in it and was leaking water to the wiper motor area, also the colour was faded!
I removed the wipers and prepared those for paint, fixed the crack in the scuttle panel and prepared that also, a coat of paint later and it looks much better :)

I've removed both pieces of the centre console for similar treatment, the main piece in the dash was cracked and damaged beyond repair so need to source another.
The other bit looks nice once painted with the red leather gear gaiter fitted (new leather knob too)
The hand brake gaiter fitted but I think the red will stand out more with the black carpets and red leather seats.

Other wise it just looks a bit odd :lol:

#36 · (Edited)
Haven't really needed to do anything mechanical to the car yet so just been tidying up a few rusty looking objects under the bonnet....

The simple ones.....

Supporting engine mount
The metal clamps the hold on the Maf
Air intake hoses (Thanks EauRouge :thumbs:)
New cover for the exhaust
I've collected a complete spare set of all the alloy bits from the CF1 engine to get powder coated in that lovely candy apple red :inlove: :lol:

To be continued......

#39 · (Edited)
Electric aerial

Finally got round to looking at the electric aerial for the radio, it was damp inside the casing and the motor was rusty, the motor worked fine as I tested it with an AA battery.
Cleaned every thing up and regressed all the cogs but the problem doesn't lie with any of the components, its the aerial itself that's seized!

There was some damp powder eating away at the base of :confused: it cleaned off ok but still not good!

I've left it soaking in WD40 hoping it will help.

Any good advice on how to free the aerial?

#43 ·
Think you might be right!

I'll leave it in soak over night and use brute force tomorrow hopefully this will work.
The aerial has a plastic cog type strip of plastic running down to the motor so replacing just the aerial won't be easy!

Any other suggestions?

#48 · (Edited)
I made a start today removing the air intake system mainly to get to the TDC sensor.
Since the head rebuild 3 years ago there was a note on the receipt saying "Advice-Air intake pipe (Damaged) Replace A.S.A.P" This was the dreaded nobbled pipe the attaches to the throttle body.
I've just fixed this 3 years on :lol: oil has made its way into the intake system. (pics added)
2 of the inlet valves were perfectly clean and 2 coated in an oily mess.

Could this be the split hose causing the engine to cough and oil vapours finding there way back into the intake system :confused:

#49 · (Edited)
I've done this job a couple of times now and removing the plenum in not the easiest thing to do mainly due to the metal bracket that is supported to the engine, there is a piece of metal stopping you from undoing all the bolts. So, thanks to a top tip from Mitch on another thread, I've hacksawed it off, this should make life easier fitting it back together when the other bits come back from the powder coaters later on. Cheers dude :thumbs:

I removed the started motor to get to the TDC sensor it was easy enough to do, 1 hex bolt holds on the sensor. It seems to be a magnetic sensor that's sealed! no chance of opening it up and trying to repair it so I'll just fork out for a replacement unit.

She's looking sorry for herself but good times to come :thumbs:

#52 · (Edited)
Weight Watchers

What a beautiful morning it was here in Kent, the sun was out :cool:
I was up early doors and decided to make a start on stripping the weight out the car.

My friend wants to use this car as a test car as he's getting into rapping, of corse I obliged :D he wants to do a carbon top and white body. (something similar to the pic added)
The cars going to be rapped in April and will get the inside painted where needed.

I picked up a momo steering wheel with quick release boss, this is so the steering wheel can be easily removed, when the roll cage is fitted it might be difficult getting in and out of the car with the steering wheel in position.

#56 ·
My friend wants to use this car as a test car as he's getting into rapping, of corse I obliged :D he wants to do a carbon top and white body. (something similar to the pic added)
The cars going to be rapped in April and will get the inside painted where needed.
Ah Wrapping! Sorry to be a pedant but for a moment Andy I thought you meant that your mate is going to be a rapper.

Still, it's a better choice than being a raper ....

#58 ·
Bloody Hell Andy!!! Busy then :lol: ... certainly making a lot of progress there mate. When I get back from all of my work trips (that will be March, lol) will have to pop over and have a look. No doubt you'd would have rebuilt the engine by this time.

The WRApping effect will be pretty tidy with the white 'n' black. There's an RS4 in the work car park that's had this done and it looks as mean as F_________!

Be careful not to "Pimp my Ride" too much, maintain some Alfa-ness (with that, I don't mean breaking down when its all done :cheese:) :thumbs:

#60 · (Edited)
When I get back from all of my work trips (that will be March, lol) will have to pop over and have a look.

Make sure you do Paul! :thumbs:

I have a track day lined up in April at Silverstone if your interested?

Be careful not to "Pimp my Ride" too much, maintain some Alfa-ness (with that, I don't mean breaking down when its all done :cheese:) :thumbs:
Its going to be a track day/road car and will look awesome :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.