Alfa Romeo Forum banner

147 actuator - how to claim it from the warranty company?

957 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  David C 
#1 ·
After experiencing issues with the 147 selespeed gears, the mechanic advised that the actuator needs to be changed, as it leaks fluid, thus causing the problems.

Our warranty refuses to pay for a new actuator, given that (according to them) it does nto fall under the items covered (I cite from the contract) "All internal lubricated parts of manual and automatic transmissions". The contract does not specify internal to the gear box, or transmission casing, nor it list any specific inclusions or exclusions. Some other companies, exclude selespeed, but ours says nothing about it.

As I see it, the actuator should be considered an Internal part, since it belongs to the transmission system itself, and it is indeed internal, as opposed to external components such as the paddles, the joystick, etc.

The warranty company insist, and I am getting frustrated because I cannot find enough evidence (technical reports, pictures, schematics, etc) that prove my point.

Can anyone please assist me, please? I would very very much appreciate if someone could provide some more technical information so I can justify that the actuator should be covered. This will save me $3000!! Also I cannot stand the idea that warranty/insurance firms always try to trick their clients!

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Don't think you'll have any luck on this one. The selespeed gubbins are all external to the gearbox. The gearbox is just a standard 5 speed with a mechanical system bolted on to control the clutch and gear shift. The warranty you have covers the parts inside so will only cover the gearbox internals.this is why most aftermarket warranties are worth nothing!

#4 ·
Thank you guys for the quick answers. This kind of companies should write their contracts more clearly. You asume you're covered and when it comes to claiming, they always have an excuse to turn you away! We picked this one precisely because it did not exclude selespeed.... :mad:
I'll see what else I can do about the car.
Thanks again.

#5 ·
I had a new one under warranty...
Not in the first year either.

However, used car warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.