Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Help!! New selespeed issue

Tags
issue judder
661 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  rakkers 
#1 ·
Hi All!

I bought a 147 Selespeed and have had no problems at all. Everything is good! And hunky dory.

I've just bought another one - for my son, 2002 from ebay. It was a dealer that obviously buys and sells very quickly at high volumes...

Anyway, they just called me up and said that upon testing it they have found it has a problem with the Selespeed box. It was described to me as being jumpy on take off and sometimes refusing to go into first ect. He then offered to take £700 off the price, and said it was drivable to get home and that in his opinion he thinks it's either a solenoid, ECU or some other electrical problem. To me it doesn't sound like a new gearbox jobby, but i'll decide after i've seen and taken it for a drive tomorrow.

What does everyone think? If it is a solenoid/actuator or ECU fault, how much are we talking? I mean £700 seems like plenty to solve even the most awful of problems?

Thanks Guys!!!

See less See more
G
#2 ·
It could simply be a case of needing a clutch rod adjustment and calibration run - its not had a new box/clutch fitted has it ?
Depending on how much work you can do yourself then that sounds like a lot off the price but if you have to pay for diagnostics or the fitting of a replacement clutch or box the savings could disappear fast.

#3 ·
I got the car for £1900, pretty good to start with. Minus the £700 makes it £1200 and that is an excellent deal so I'm looking at even if I spend £1000 to make a total spend of £2000 i've still had a pretty good saving over list price.

Am I being logical(ish) or should I just walk away? It has such an excellent spec, pretty much fully loaded!

#4 ·
Update: I've now driven the car and it's been absolutely fine! Evem thrashing the life out of it the changes seemed fine and smooth. Only think is that "Selespeed Failure" kept coming up on the info screen. After speaking to Monza Auto Tuning (Best Alfa place in West Sussex) I think that it is electrical.

So I'm going ahead...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.