Alfa Romeo Forum banner

ser 3 16v 33 mods to make trackday car

19K views 198 replies 14 participants last post by  JacekK 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I need some help on my proposed mods to make my car more track day orientated.

Gearbox
Mods to the 2 rear top and bottom rubber bushes, making them solid
Quick shift mod
Plastic spherical bearing in the bottom of the gearstick
Changing gear ratios for better acceleration and maybe leave 5th for motorway driving, is 4th and 5th on the same shaft?

Engine
Oil cooler
Oil temp gauge
Live rolling road mapping

Wheels & tyres
7J ET35 with 4mm spacers = ET31 :) toyo 888 195 50 15, will this put too much stress on the bearings? I may be able to remove the spacers due to my adjustable panhard rod.

Suspension
The softest Class F springs, so I can still use it on the road.
The car already is fully polly bushed with powerflex, Koni sports shocks and Eiback springs

Steering
Removing the powersteering rack and replacing it with a ser2 non powersteering rack, I will get the steering arm bushes pushed out and get some powerflex bushes made so I can use the ser 3 adjustable arms on the ser 2 rack.

See less See more
#148 ·
Hope so :)
already weighed it :)
18kg sound deadening, still not got it all off, will do that when it beconme a dedicated track car.
18kg sub and amps
Interior will all be going back in along with sub and amps but will be removable :)
The mot test bay has scales on it, guess i could weigh it and re-weigh it when everything is all back in.

#150 ·
NS headlamp aim too low
OS headlamp aim too low
Front to rear brake pipe inadequately clipped
NS steering rack gaiter split
OS steering rack gaiter split

Advisory
(Interaction with indicators) all position lamps slightly affected by the operation of another lamp
Offside front body has slight corrosion
Offside rear wheel bearing has slight play
Front brakes only just met the front brake imbalance requirements, pass @ 24%, fail at 25%

Overall weight 1177 kg
Front axle 718kg
Rear axle 495kg
That doesn’t make any sense as that = 1213kg, I thought the ser 3 is 1000kg, I did have a spare cat and rear box in the car but....

I have a non PS rack but it needs new gaiter which I’m sourcing now, they adjusted the lamps and charged me £10, I tried to explain that I know how to set them up but they weren’t having it.

#156 ·
by the way,

front axle more than 700 kg ? ... sounds a bit off mate.

If I can lift the engine with a mate, would mean its no more than 100 kg
Add about 40 ? for the gearbox, and another 60 for front crossmember with hubs and suspension ?
I dont think that would weight more, as I brought the front section of a crossmember to UK with me 2 years ago, and it only weighted 9kg

So thats 200 kg mechanical stuff ?
Seats are 30 kg both
Doors couldnt weigh more than 30 kg each - so thats another 60
I'll add another 10 for the dashboard and 40 for the front wings lights and bumper

Round it up to 350 kgs so far !

This would leave you with another 350 kgs for the windscreen :eek:

#164 ·
I know of just a place, after the rack is fitted today I will take it there :)
I had to walk 7.5 miles round trip to pick up these steering gaiters, just about to fit them to my ser 2 non PS rack ready for the rack to be swapped. I have got ser 2 steering arms, without the adjusters at the end, what fun setting up the tracking that will be. I have also got the lower part of the steering column from the ser 2 and metal plate on the bulk head and the rubber bung.
Have i missed anything??

#165 ·
Forgot the bolts for the ser 2 rack, luckily they had some bolts but they dont have a shoulder for strength on them, i will pick some up tomorrow.
Managed to fit without lowering the engine or removing a strut, just need to centralise the rack, do the tracking and try to get the steering wheel so the lock comes on when straight, this will be done on saturday.

#167 ·
The mounts on the ser 2 rack for the steering arms are smaller than the ser 3, so if you fit the ser 3 arms they will float, I was planning to get power flex to make new bushes that are the same internal size as the ser 2 ones but fit in the ser 3 arms, but have decided to get my engineer guy to make some sleeves and put the ser 3 arms back on :)

BTW, what are people’s opinions on the difference between ser 2 and ser 3 racks, the mechanic pointed out that the ser3 mounting points are far beefier, made of metal and very small bushes. The ser 2 rack has 2 large rubber bushes round the mounts and thinks that the ser 2 rack will be sloppier.

Passed MOT btw :)

#168 ·
congrats on the MOT mate :)

why dont you just machine a pair of bolts mate ? the ones without the head ... dont know how you call them in english....like the ones that are on the block for the exhaust manifolds to be bolted on with just nuts !

You could make them 8mm one side of the thread and 10mm on the other side ! Keep it simple :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.