Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Q2 question

1K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Turtle4288 
#1 ·
Just wondering if there's any info on diff failure with cars on 16 inch wheels against cars with 17 inch wheels as the stress on the diff would be different wouldn't it. Also anything to suggest its more likely on high milage cars.

Considering having mine done with a clutch but hard to justify cost of work against current sale value of 916's.

I suspect failure is 'luck of the draw' ? Any thoughts...................:rolleyes:

G
#4 ·
I got my one done when I bought it back in January along with the clutch, belts, water pump etc etc. It is a fair expense now for a new Q2 diff and with fitting it must be near £1k if not more (i worked for an Alfa dealer at the time and got it done at staff rates)
Worth it though if you intend to keep the car long term :thumbs:

#6 ·
I have a 3.2 and Iv recently noticed a gravelly loose bearing sort of noise coming from the transmission which I think is the clutch thrust bearing as it dissapears when i disengage it but sounds quite loud through the gears Could this (please say no) be the dreaded diff loosing it

#8 ·
how often does the clutch need replacing

#9 ·
tricky question as depends on the driver and the amount of start stopping..........mines done 100k with original clutch I'm told (if true)- by previous owner who owned it from new and did high milage motorway driving mainly................mind its stiff to depress now so I recon its time to replace it .

#10 ·
Like you, I've been thinking about Q2. And like you, it does play on my mind occasionally that at anytime the diff could lob itself through the gearbox.

~£750 for a fitted Q2
and while you're there it's worth having a SMF and a clutch. You're looking at ~£1300 :eek:

Trying to work out whether total piece of mind is worth £1300 :rolleyes::confused:

#11 ·
Does yours bite very high in the pedal travel, tommo? Mine's only on 40k, but has a pretty high bite point ... not sure if that's normal or whether it's had a hard life with previous owners :(

Radical, I guess you've got to weigh it up against how much a reconditioned gearbox plus the cost of a new diff would be if it does ever go. If you don't need a new clutch anyway then it's an expensive insurance policy. Also, I've heard in a few places that it's usually GTAs that grenade their diffs, not GTVs - not sure if that's true, but I guess it could be down to shorter ratios and that bit more torque from the 3.2.

#12 ·
that was my 1st. point dmc varying torque 16-18 wheels must make a diff ?(excuse the pun) I dont think a high biting point automatically means its on its way out as its self adjusting but I could be wrong but 40k seems low. Not sure bout changing the smf radical but if ur right £1300 aint bad but where from ?

#15 ·
Q2 is fantastic, had i not of purchased a car already with it done would i of paid fo it myself? No unless i was very very confident i was keeping the car till i'm old and grey. Its expensive whatever way you look at it. And i fear this failign diff is becomming the new cambelt issue. i.e. where people will buy a GTV and get them done "just to be safe", its and expensive way to "just be safe" when the cars are only worth 1k to 3k on average.

just my 2p worth as a Q2 owner.

#20 ·
The problem is you here about the diff potentially going but think it wont happen to you unfortunately eventually it will :mad:

I've just recently had to buy a 2nd hand gear box and then fit with new Q2 diff and clutch kit as mine went on the GTV at about 118k miles. Cost me around £1200 (I was questioning whether to do it or scrap the car for parts as I new we were going to have to sell as my wife was expecting, but I couldnt bring myself to breaking it). Shameless plug my gtv for sale on classifieds and ebay http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/299824-v6-for-sale.html#post4383547

Anyhow I've now got my GTA diff changed as I didnt want a £1200+ bill for that, so just bought myself a £700+ insurance policy

Thanks

Amir

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.