Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Extended warranty & DPF/EGR removal

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  rickyw 
#1 ·
My 159 will be out of warranty at the end of October. I'm seriously thinking of extending it, but I'm also thinking of getting the DPF/ EGR removal done.

If I do this, will it scupper any future claims? Anyone else done this under the 4th year warranty?

#2 ·
If you do anything that makes the car non standard I would have thought that it is likely to invalidate the extended warranty. Don't forget though that the extended warranty is not really from Alfa but is just an insurance company, the same as the third year Alfa warranty. Our local dealer said the clutch on my wife's 147 needed replacing in the third year but the insurance compay disagreed. It took a lot of hard work by the dealer to get them to cough up for a replacement. Without their support it would have cost us a fortune.

#4 ·
I am not an expert on this subject but they will always find a reason not to pay up. For example, if your gearbox packs up they will probably say that it wasn't designed to take the additional power following the remap and that you put undue strain on it. As I say, I am not an expert and I could be wrong.......

#5 ·
I think Ciderphil is right, if you mod the car you're likely to find them refusing most claims on the grounds that you've over stressed this, or adjusted that. But, and here's the thing, even if you don't the chance's are they'll wriggle on wear and tear, or some other exclusion.

#6 · (Edited)
A remap can damage the ECU, turbo, clutch, gearbox, drive shafts, the engine itself.

One of the problems is that teh drivetrain is rated at 400Nm - and the 2.4 already produces 400Nm from stock.

The problem here is that there are so many rubbish remaps out there that the manufacturer/ warranty companies cant tell how good (or bad) they are so generally if one is detected (and a missing DPF is a big clue!) they will try and walk away from just about anything.

I dont know if I said to you personally, but as Alfa Tuner's mod gets rid of the EGR and DPF that cause 90% of the issues on diesels I would go for the warranty OR the remap, both give peace of mind in equal measure by different means.

My car is on the 4 year warranty, but will probably get the job done later in the cars life, when the DPF starts to get more clogged and teh already rough looking exhaust is on its last legs and that way declare an exhaust mod and remap to the insurance, and the clutch will probably be getting on a bit too by then, so can go for an uprated one when it inevitably starts to slip and the DMF gets clunky.

#9 ·
I agree - that's why I strongly recommend people go and see a reputable tuner that knows what he's doing. E.g AlfaTuner or AHM. May cost a little bit more but is money well spent on a great product and cheaper in the long run. Too many cheap remaps have a terrible power band putting power through the drivetrain too violently. I'm convinced this is part of the reason why some cars have problems.

My car has now done 24k miles without any problems and I know there are cars out there with an Alfatune dpf removal that have done more than 60k without problems.

:thumbs:

#14 ·
Ricky - if your car starts doing this during a regen and is still doing it when it stops you could have the sticking valves requiring a cylinder head like mine did. If its in Glasgow Graham will know abaout it, I believe mine was the first they did, but requires regional manager authorisation from Fiat.

#15 ·
It went in for shuddering during regen last year. They done a forced regen & its been fine (in that respect) since. It does the hesitation / misfire under light throttle. Most noticeable when you have come off throttle, then lightly back on, sometimes on uphill sections.

Its going into Edinburgh.

#21 ·
You're probably right! But I've heard so many problems with stuck EGRs, DPFs, forced regens limp homes etc. I would just like to get rid of the offending pieces. In today's climate, anything that improves the fuel economy has to be welcomed.

I'm not sure that I agree with t3yls that "better fuel consumption is a result of more power". I think it is better efficiency and not dumping fuel into the exhaust system to make an expensive incinerator.

#20 ·
If power & economy stayed the same, but with the added benefit of no EGR to soot & gum up the inlet tract & DPF to block I would be happy.

Economy is not an issue with me. If it was, I would not have bought a 2.4. I'm not after an economy remap, just a remap to remove unreliability which is inherent in most modern oil burners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.