Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Any 75's on the Road?

Tags
road
4K views 56 replies 18 participants last post by  Steve20 
#1 ·
Getting to feel a little lonely driving around the M25 from leafy London
to quaint Grays in Essex or are all the 75's stuck in Garages being fixed?
I have n't seen one for best part 5 months. Saw a faded blue one in
Codicote parked up in a Garage. Perhaps we are all getting over the
discomfort :(

#30 ·
Haven't seen a 75 in ages then last week whilst walking home from daughters school a black 75 2.0 on Foreign Plates weaved in and out of the 4x4. I was tempted to run after it but didn't want to cause a fuss :D
Mines up and running now so the occasional sortie around the leafy lanes hoping to get a wave but I'm not holding my breath :rolleyes:

#31 ·
I haven't seen a 75 on the road for a while, but had the opportunity to drive a 3.0 V6 at the Nurburgring this weekend - it seemed rude to refuse! If it's any consolation, they are equally rare in Europe too - apart from 15 of so used by the "75 Experience" we only saw 2 others - 1 in Belgium and the other at the 'Ring.

#32 ·
Any of you guys track your 75's?

I'm without a trackday car currently while my wife and I are busy breeding, but in 2-3 years at the most I'll want another trackday car and if I can't afford another Caterham (distinctly likely!) it may well be a 75 if I can find a good example and think it can take it.

I have an alfa-nut friend with a 164 cloverleaf and an SZ, he brought his brother's 75 twin spark along to a day at Castle Combe in August 2003 and we swapped cars for a few sessions - despite being a tired example (particularly in the brakes department!) it was a lot of fun for a car that was worth nothing. A 75 V6 with decent brakes would make a good, cheap, trackday car... Do they take such treatment?

#33 ·
I did Hillclimbs and Sprints in mine last year.

http://www.justgofaster.com/gallery/gallery/justgofaster/public_videos/Alfa75.mpg

Problem with the V6 is that it understeers more than the TS, so if you want just trackday fun without the better straightline speed (and big vroom noise ;) )the TS is probably the one to go for.

If you go V6, the Ron Simons kit seems to be the one to go for to sort the handling out, but it's pricey.

Jonathan

#34 ·
Well sadly (or not) Ive got 3 75's (owned 50+alfa's)

One 3 litre racecar regularly used on trackdays (partner in trackday company)

One ts with veloce bumbers.........very tired and unloved when I got it, so will probably break :(

And I just got my road 75 3litre mot'd yesterday. Very sweet engine, almost mint paintwork with LE wheels.

Ive enjoyed MANY trackmiles in 75's and when giving demo rides it never fails to leave passengers (victims :D ) green or delighted

Over the years Ive noticed the sad decline in 'proper' alfa owners who used to wave at eachother.

Have to admit to also owning a Volvo T5 (I need something to put alfa engines in) and Passat tdi :tut:

#35 ·
jwyatt said:
Any of you guys track your 75's?
Have done.

I have an alfa-nut friend with a 164 cloverleaf and an SZ, he brought his brother's 75 twin spark along to a day at Castle Combe in August 2003 and we swapped cars for a few sessions - despite being a tired example (particularly in the brakes department!) it was a lot of fun for a car that was worth nothing. A 75 V6 with decent brakes would make a good, cheap, trackday car... Do they take such treatment?
The 75 is commonly used as a track car and, as you can pick them up for next to nothing, they are great value. You make a fair point about the brakes and they are a bit too soft in standard form, but they can be improved with a full range of trick bits. Balance of the 2.0 litre is best, but grunt/noise of the three litre is hard to beat.

#38 ·
There are loads of them up here in F:land :rolleyes:

#39 ·
I'm hoping my 3.0 V6 will be back on the road in a few weeks :) I bought it early last year, but only did a few miles in it before starting to change the cambelt - only just got around to finishing it! :rolleyes:
It's not going to win a concourse, but it was only £350! It's not really that bad - 125k miles, only slightly tatty bodywork, interior is actually pretty smart! I bought it to drive and for the sound it makes and the transaxle layout (I like a balanced chassis - my other car's a Porsche 944S2 :D )

Just need to get it through the MOT...

#42 ·
Jonathan

Yes to the pics, my 75 :)

My brothers 155. sorry if I missed speaking to you at Oulton, the days are quite busy as Im supposed to be running them not driving

I also be selling a nice road 75 3 litre at the moment if anyone is interested. I'll put it in classifieds.

And a VERY cheap 33 racecar

#43 ·
Steve20 said:
Getting to feel a little lonely driving around the M25 from leafy London
to quaint Grays in Essex or are all the 75's stuck in Garages being fixed?
I have n't seen one for best part 5 months. Saw a faded blue one in
Codicote parked up in a Garage. Perhaps we are all getting over the
discomfort :(
Come over to Townsville in Australia, half the time I think I own the only bloody Alfa 75 here, I know their is a red one and a white one running about but as for that nothing.Same goes with my Alfetta Sportiva 2 think its the only example up this way, closest one is in Brisbane and thats 16 hours drive away, but I must admit I wouldn,t change them (except for maybe a 156 or 147 GTA :D )

#46 ·
There was a few in Northamptonshire on Sunday!

Mine won 'Best 75 at show'! I couldn't believe it I was so chuffed, but had to leave at 2pm, so my mate had to pick up my award :rant:

Nevermind. Nice to see so many 75's there though... :D

#49 ·
Alfa75UK said:
I had a great time at the meeting, it was nice to see so many 75s there. I had good fun driving along with a red 75 who got off at nottingham. We went woooosh with a white spider too. Great days. :D
Were you one of those parked up along the wall in the "Official " Display? If so I may have walked past yours and quite likely you did the same. Never had so many folk take an interest in my hub caps :D

#50 ·
Steve20 said:
Were you one of those parked up along the wall in the "Official " Display? If so I may have walked past yours and quite likely you did the same. Never had so many folk take an interest in my hub caps :D
Yeah, I was parked up against the fence - about half way along between a red and a blue 75. Brought my moistened leather along to get rid of the bugs!! (Sad, I know!) :lol:

#51 ·
Bill Smith said:
Nice one, well done! :cool: :cool: I think it's time that you brought it out to an AROC Sussex Coast Section meet ( www.arocsussexcoast.co.uk ).
Hi Bill - I came along to the last meeting in my 164 Cloverleaf. I got nattering to a couple of chaps, but had to shoot fairly early to be somewhere else! Don't know if you were there or not. Perhaps I'll bring it along to the July meeting! I never win anything, so I was well pleased! Treating it with even more kid gloves now - until a nice corner comes up, anyway!!!! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.