Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Gasket for fuel pump

Tags
gasket
1K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  brit01 
#1 ·
I need to replace the gaskets on the fuel pump.

I have a couple of spare gaskets for the fuel injection version of the inlet manifold.
The cut out fits just nicely.

Is it a suitable material for the fuel pump is my question?

Cheers

#2 · (Edited)
I think it should be ok. I see the ones for the mini are made from paper.

This gasket I have is of a redish colour, very dense shiny paper like material.

My mistake, the spare gasket I have doesn't fit completely around the bolt holes on the inner side so it may leak through the bolt thread on the inner side I imagine.
Unless I put a little teflon on the threads.

#3 ·
The important bits are the rubber 'O' rings on the black plastic spacer bit. These must be in good condition. Any gasket paper/card of the same thickness as the original will do the job if you can't buy an original one. You buy it in sheets from an auto shop and cut out your own gaskets with a sharp knife. You can get cheap Chinese hole punches from a hardware store to make the round holes.

#6 ·
Hi Chris, I have seen every variation on this over the years. I don't think the factory was very consistant. In the old days, if you bought a full engine gasket set from Alfa, it came with both O rings and gaskets so I have always assumed that both were needed.
Nearly all the cars I have worked on have had a dirty oily patch around the pump area so the factory were not very good at getting the perfect seal!

#7 ·
i dont remember ever having an oily patch, but mine has the plastic spacer and 2 o-rings. One that goes on the block side and one for the pump's side. One is slightly bigger than the other.

If thats the case, I'll put some gasket silicone between the edges of the pieces to ensure that no oil will come out if the o-rings fail.

By the way, speaking of fuel pumps, I'm in the process of finishing the 16v carb engine I'm building for my Sprint.
I've used the back plate with the mechanical fuel pump of the 1.5 ltr engine, and I have a question.

The rod that moves the mechanical pump goes in and out just a litle bit. I'm guessing thats moved by the offset of the oil pump.
Is that rod just placed in the hole ? or is there suposed to be something else there as well ?

#8 ·
Yes the rod is pushed by the cam on the oil pump drive. Nothing else in there. From memory, I think that there were two lengths of rod for some reason. I think some early cars came without the black plastic bit and had a shorter rod.
If your 16v engine is 'tuned' you may need to use a low pressure electric pump to get enough flow to feed the carbs. Are you using 44mm/48mm carbs or sticking with 40mm 8v carbs?

#9 ·
for now I'll be using the 32's from the 105bhp 1.5ltr engine.

After I run it in for a couple thousand khms, I'll change to the 45's I've got stored. I hope that will give me enough power to play :)

Lets not hijack this thread though, I'll post some pictures of the engine in my thread soon ;)

#10 ·
That is odd and good to know the variations guys thanks.

Mine just had the gaskets and no oil leaks at all so I may just keep it that way. Why change what worked?

I'll buy 2 new gaskets and just leave it at that.
I'm not sure where the o-rings would go anyway as both surfaces are flat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.