Alfa Romeo Forum banner

2 issues

809 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Shane25 
#1 ·
Hello People

I have had a butchers through the search and cannot really find a relevent answer,

1, i have got a switch in the drivers footwell which turns on the fan, on inspection the fan resistor pack was half missing (me thinking this was the issue) so i fitted a new and the fan isn't kicking in, any 1 got any ideas where to look next?

2, the other 1 is i have replaced all the casing to the key fob (the old 1 had no battery holder and some bits missing) and put it all together, went out to the car to try it, it will only lock the car, arm, disarm and work the boot, i have no other keys for it

Cheers

Shane

#5 ·
And this switch ... it controls the cooling fan? That's obviously a bodge from the previous owner so you have to check all the wiring, relay and fuse(s) for the cooling system ...

#7 ·
Relays are under the black cover in front of the battery .. fuses are behind panel in dash (near right knee) and there might be a diagram on the back of it ..

#9 ·
Well i have just pulled all of the fuses i could find to see if any have blown and they are all fine, i have also tried another relay and that didn't work either, i swapped the inj relay with the fan relay and the fan still isnt kicking in, i ran it up to 99deg (had my code reader plugged in to keep a close eye on it).

Am i right in thinking the fan should kick in when the ac is on???

I tried touching the bodge a job switch cable on and the fan kicked in, so i know the fan is working ok, it is a cable running from the neg to the black relay with a switch in the middle.

I do have some good news and thats the fob has started working properly, there must of been a loose connection or it reset itself when i disconnected the battery (which doesnt make sence because i went to work for 2 weeks and come home to a flat battery)

G
#11 ·
if the switch is still in place the fan probably wont kick in if it is switched off as the circuit is not being completed. you will have to work out where all the wires from that switch go and may have to do some rewiring. it probably was/is a relay gone but the previous owner did not know how to fix.
as for the central locking issue it could be a number of things. probably nothing to do with the key though. is the lock/unlock button the same or seperate. if its the same and it locks the car fine then it will probably be something to do with the locking system

#12 ·
I have disconnected the switch from the relay but left it connected to the neg on the battery and left the cables in for the time being. i soldered the cut cables back together so the circuit is complete

I've found the issue with the fan unit, its the resistor pack is fubar, i found out by shorting the connections to the resistor and the fan kicked in at 98deg :D

As for the key, its the 2 button type, i basicly tried what i done before with the fuse's and disconnecting the battery and it didnt work this time, what else could it be?

Cheers

Shane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.