Alfa Romeo Forum banner

look what was brought to me today

Tags
brought today
31K views 447 replies 50 participants last post by  Supercharged16v 
G
#1 · (Edited)
not quite as above, but near enough to carry on my thread sequence :lol:

it is a series1 ti belonging to yorksud from on here. he has entrusted me to weld it up for him, not sure who is more daft. me for agreeing to tackle another rusty sud or him for letting me loose on it :D

i will be keeping a regular thread going while the rust is chopped out and welded up, shouldn't take too long :rolleyes: :lol:

aiming to get a couple of eveings a week and saturdays on it so progress should move along steadily but surely :thumbs:

these are the pics that tempted ( :confused:) me to tackle it

Attachments

See less See more
G
#2 · (Edited)
have managed to get a proper working environment for this project though, i'm pats laying on gravel driveways now :lol: pure luxury from now on :cool:

will defo make the project much quicker not having to get all the tools out every time and being able to work in all weather/light conditions ;)

some pics taken tonight at its' new home. will get a bit done tomorrow, just got it up in the air on the stands tonight and had a good look underneath. it's actually in better condition than mine was in most places, wing mounting areas are a bit cruddy though. screen surround is amazingly good though :cool:

always wanted to restore a S1 ti, pity it's not mine but it is the next best thing :cool: at least i will get the enjoyment of seeing it come back from the brink :thumbs:

couldn't resist fireing up the grinder though for a look inside the "A" pilar, pretty solid under the tea bag complexion :lol:

#5 ·
Kev you are mad:mad:.... Bravo for taking this on:thumbs: I think your signature tune should be : " The Sud Preservation Society " sung to the tune of the Italian Job :lol:

#13 ·
My complete and utter hat off to Kev, between us we have agreed a restoration plan to ensure another series one ti is saved, and you will by know have guessed who has come off worse on the deal im sure!. Although... i'm also sure there is a lot of sud fanatics out there, including me, who having witnessed first hand Kev's superb resto feat at some of the Alfa shows on his own Green Cloverleaf, a brilliant example. So, im sure this job is in the best possible hands, and wish Kev the very best of luck, he will need it !!....look forward to watching and contributing to the thread..

G
#14 · (Edited)
thanks for the vote of confidence you guys :thumbs:, hope i can live up to expectations :D

the car isn't that bad at all, far better condition than my car was. but then again it only seems less daunting now i've done mine, i know what to expect and where i can chop it up :lol:

bit more done tonight, weds & thurs evenings will be the order for the next few weeks, plus saturdays.
cut the outer sill off on the passenger side to see what it's like inside, not too bad. had a poke underneath and made a few more holes. i will cut about 4" or so of floor away and create a new lip for the outer sill to go to. it's not too bad in places but it will be easier to make new than try and patch up what's left, plus it will last a lot longer and be stronger ;) the area near the front jacking point isn't too bad but needs strengthening. it's a pretty strong area anyway so should be ok to add to. the rear jacking point will need building from scratch, not much left there

i've now peeled back the scabby outer layer on the door pillar, thankfully and surprisingly it's really solid in the box section behind it despite little or no protection. if rich agrees i will make a couple of holes in the door jamb so waxoyl can be injected once the car is done, that way it will last for another 30 years. somewhere out of sight like between the door hinges, the hole can be covered by a rubber grommet so access can be gained at will and sealed up from moisture quickly & easily, worth doing i think but not my car so will wait permission ;)

i've almost made up the patch to go back on the pillar, just a little fettling. the holes for the wing mounting are ok so the originals will be kept in place. will get on with some welding saturday on the pillar then the sill can be started. didn't want to get the sill fitted then start cutting rot out above it, all the flakes and crud would have dropped straight into the sill cavity :tut:

slow progress, but progress nonetheless ;)

Attachments

G
#23 · (Edited)
:lol: yep, i see the rust col, but i can pictue the car beyond the crud that is crying out to be saved ;) do need to get my eyes tested again though :lol:

bit more done this afternoon. got the pillar patch finished off and fitted. drilled plenty of holes in it to plug weld it where it buts up against the inner strenghteners, makes the repair sections so much stronger and thus the pillar itself. should help prevent a droopy door in the future :D
the picture from inside the car shows the penetration from the weld which shows just how slim cars are. what you think is the outside of the car is also the inside :lol:

more to come....

G
#24 · (Edited)
the section of rear quarter where it meets the sill needed to be chopped out, the view from inside the car shows how much daylight is visible :D
the 2nd pic shows just how good the metal is once the rot is cut away, like new. this made the decision of where the replacement sill will join much easier, inside the section behind where the rear quarter goes. a new section will be made for that bit as it was full of holes anyway.

the sill needs a bit of fettling as they are 4 door ones but nothing that can't be worked around. the extra bit where the "B" pillar would be can be seen along the seal edge near the mole grips, shows how much shorter 4 door front doors are than 2 door cars.

clamped it on in a couple of places to see how things go with my front repairs and planned attack on rear top edge, pretty happy so far :cool:

still a long way from being able to fit it. the bottom edge on the car needs to be cut off, all along. the centre strengthening piece needs repair. the box section at the back that will support the jacking point needs to be made. all these need to be done before the sill skin can be fitted.

all takes a lot of time :(

getting there though, pleased with it myself how it's coming along ;) steady but surely :thumbs:

#28 ·
OMG Kev,
You'll have that done by the end of next week the way its going:thumbs:
You don't live anywhere near Gloucester do ya:lol:
Did you get the cill from Just suds? cause I might need one - took plastic trims and front wing off near side on friday - good news cill fine, inner wing has had repair panels done already (welding Sh-- though) rear wing needs replacement panel (already ordered)
Off side is where the trouble might be though, will try to strip back next weekend
Carry on the good work
oui

G
#33 ·
OMG Kev,
You'll have that done by the end of next week the way its going:thumbs:
:lol: the sill is a long way from being ready for fitting, i've got the top side about ready to go but the real work is in the underside. i've got a new floor to make (about 6" of it anyway), the central membrane to repair, and create a new lip for the sill to actually be welded to. quite a bit to do yet :D

i hope it will be all solid again by christmas but these things have a habit of taking longer then expected. actually welding doesn't take long, it's fabricating each patch by hand that takes the time

good fun though :thumbs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.