Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Which engine oil gtv

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  alfapash 
#1 ·
Hi guys iam out and about , can't remember what grade engine oil I need for my hgv 2 ltr Lusso on a 02 plate.

#3 ·
Thanks David iam out for lunch in chelmsford and thought I would get the oil and filter for the gtv got to pick the car up later it's having a new window module fitted and they said they would drop the oil out for me . I couldn't remember the grade oil so thanks for that ! Good old forum lol.

#4 ·
Make sure they don't use a 0w-30 or a 5w-30

It is used in quite a few newer cars, but it is too thin for a Twinspark and will get burned pretty quickly.

#7 ·
Personally I wouldn't use a 0W oil in anything because hot performance is ALWAYS compromised to get down to the cold 0W rating and a pour point of -60degC...

#8 ·
I think they tend to thin a bit sooner in use. I can't see it being a problem if you change the oil a bit more often, say every 6000 miles.

However, if it was me and I had a choice, I would probably use the 5w-40, especially in the UK. The arctic may be another matter.

#10 ·
I use 10W40 (Selenia 20k),as detailed in the workshop manual, can't see a problem in mixing brands of oil so long as the spec is the same (10W40). The 10W60 oil is primarily used for sportier performance.

Attachments

#13 ·
Agree with David, it'll mix up and there won't be any problem. You'll just have wasted the extra few pounds the 10w60 has cost for no real benefit (although I doubt there is any benefit in running the higher grade unless you really are using the car on a track).

I always use Castrol Magnatec, have done in many different cars over the years and it seems to do a good job for a reasonable price (especially as it can be picked up cheaply in bigger Asda/ Tescos).

#14 ·
I would use a 5w-40 fully synthetic..

However if I was going to drive hard or use the car on track I would probably go for a 10w-50 instead of going for a 10w-60

I think the thicker oil can do more harm than good long term.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.