Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Buying Used 159

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Flapdog 
#1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I am looking for a Saloon car for around 11-12k, tried all the competition in the price range and have definately decided to get a 159.....im definately getting 2.4 diesel btw

only question is to get a Ti or Lusso...i wud have to break the bank and pay closer to 13k for Ti, what i want to know is....is it worth it??

as far as im aware...these are the differences:

TI Has...
2 exhausts and chrome rather than 1 normal one
metal pedals
slightly differnt colour centre dash...but still silver
silver wingmirrors
18inch rather than 17inch alloys...and better design
boy racerd side skirts
lower suspension

anything im missing? what are your thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Just recently bought the Lusso and frankly, over the Ti, apart from the aesthetic stuff (which, admittedly, is very, very nice), there is little difference in the car. Its entirely up to you. Basically, would give the same advice would give everyone with any car.....go test them and see what you prefer. Its all down to a matter of taste.....I am more than happy with the Lusso... :)

#4 ·
Pretty sure the only electric bit about the TI seats is the heating, seat adjustment is an optional extra. I guess the only other factors are that the TI wheels are actually 19", not 18" and consequently the tyres are ££££. Maybe they are a bit more sought after as well and will keep their value better?

#6 ·
Looks wise and re-sale wise a Ti is the one to go for as it is seen as more desirable. Running costs wise the Lusso with 17inch tyres will be cheaper than the Ti with 19inch tyres which wear through quicker and cost alot more to replace! but depends on how many miles you do a year - I do 25k a year so opted for the Lusso

#7 ·
I think the TI main features are bigger wheels, lower suspension, am sure the seats are strearing wheel are different, but you do seem to pay quite a lot more for them second hand.
I dont think you would be disopointed with a Lusso and you will have saved a fair amount of cash which you can then spend on having the DPF removed and a re-map.
am happy with mu LUSSO

Rob

#9 ·
The Ti seats are without doubt the best seats you can get on the 159 :) The seat base can extedn on them, although though they are still manual as standard.

The Ti does look the part, but as everyone else says you can't go wrong with the Lusso spec. Try for a post 08 model as from this year Alfa reduced the weight of the car.

#13 ·
The most appropriate model depends on the mileage as much as anything - if you're doing 20k or more miles a year, the tyres on the TI are going to sting you hard. They are 19", not 18", and tyres from 'a major brand' are a fortune as it's not only a big wheel but also an unusual size.

Ultimately, the TI does look better, but costs more to buy, and more to run. Higher re-sale value doesn't help much if you paid more to start with and then spent even more running it.

If you don't do so many miles though, the difference is entirely up to you!

#16 ·
Well the Ti is the more desireable model, however with the price difference in mind the Lusso represents better value imo. I was set on a Ti, but realised they were still out of my price range, and thought the Lusso was second best. Only when I looked at the Lusso more closely it is not second best, just not as desireable.

A bit like choosing Holly Willouby or Fearne Cotton. Holly you most definitely would but if not then Fearne would be a fine alternative. Ermmmmm.....:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.