Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Another Cruise Control Thread

37K views 100 replies 23 participants last post by  dd.davedyson 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

i could use a helpful hand with my "problem".

As the title suggests i'd like to retrofit a Cruise Control to my car.
The Alfa 156 is a 2003 (PRE-Facelift) 1.9 JTD.
So it has NO CRUISE cable fittet.
However - checking the ECU with FES it reads various CRUISE settings (Set Speed, CRUISE on / OFF etc...) which makes me think the ECU could handle the CRUISE Stalk.

now neede for installing is the Stalk (relatively easy to come by).
AND the Wiring / Cable from the ECU to the STALK > which is verry hard (not to say impossible??) to get.

Now i tried to find it in eper - but somehow i can't find anything related to the CC system?!!
So could any of you please take a look an may name me the part number of that cable? (got Left Hand Drive) Or maybe someone which is selling one / can obtain one?

thank's in advance
BS

See less See more
#69 ·
Your car only has a 2 wire swtich?

That switch works the same way right? Providing constant 12v to ecu and interrupted when the brake is pressed.
So, perhaps you can just shunt the wire you already have in that switch with pin 54.
You could see what pin it goes to and just make the connection in the ecu connector.
It would be a lot easier than changing the switch and make the connection.

Cheers!

#74 · (Edited)
Looks like the cruise learning state requires a few more things to be active to the ecu other than a few wires from the stalk.

ECU ISO Code: FD 86 0E 80 E6
04/04/2011 14:13:51
CONNECTED TO:
ALFA 156 2.4 JTD
Bosch EDC15C7 CF3/EOBD Diesel Injection (1.9, 2.4)
--------------------------------------------------------------

ECU ISO code: FD 86 0E 80 E6
FIAT drawing number: 46821767
Hardware number: 0281010336
Hardware version: 00
Software number: 1037362086
Software version: 7400
Homologation number: 156A5B
ECU programming date: 07/02/2001

EXECUTING ADJUSTMENT...
Cruise Control Re-Learn
FAILED TO EXECUTE
Incorrect conditions to run this test!

READ PARAMETERS:
Brake Contact 2: Closed
Cruise Switch: ON

READ PARAMETERS:
Set Cruise acceler.(+):

READ PARAMETERS:
Set Cruise acceler.(+): Not requested

READ PARAMETERS:

READ PARAMETERS:
Set Cruise deceler.(-): Not requested

READ PARAMETERS:

READ PARAMETERS:
Cruise restore button (RCL):

READ PARAMETERS:
Cruise restore button (RCL): Released

READ PARAMETERS:
Cruise control: Not active

READ PARAMETERS:
Cruise Control Indicator Light: OFF

READ PARAMETERS:
Cruise Disable Cause: OFF

READ PARAMETERS:
Cruise Disable Cause: OFF
Cruise Control Learnt:

#75 ·
FES doesn't say what are the conditions needed to run the test does it?

Maybe the car has to be running at a speed that the cruise works, maybe more than 30 Mph...

The closed brake contact is +ve to pin 54, right?

Cheers!

#76 ·
Been there....................... done that :)

And yes

But............

The E30 module (VDC)

Without this its not going to work, as stated many times before on these forums from my researching them quickly.

I stand to be proven wrong hopefully, but when I have more time I will defiantly look into it further.

#78 ·
I have now wired the trailer indicator light to the cruise control.

I used a relay and all is working fine, it only lights up when the cruise is active.
Strangely, in my rev counter the pin for the light was 7 and not 2.

Here is how I wired the relay:

Cheers!

#80 · (Edited)
Somethings to consider if you are having problems with retro fitting Cruise Control and activation

DEACTIVATION OF THE CRUISE CONTROL (BY THE USER/SUBSYSTEMS)
The Cruise Control is deactivated by the user by:

turning the ring switch to the OFF position
switching off the engine;
operating the brake or clutch pedal (in these cases the last speed reached remains memorised, and can be recalled by pressing the Resume button).
vehicle speed below the permitted minimum (about 30 km/h) or above the permitted maximum;
operating the gear lever without using the clutch: the engine rpm and the vehicle speed will not be consistent; in all these cases, pressing the Resume button re-activates the system.
operating the accelerator with Cruise Control active: by pressing the accelerator (e.g. for overtaking) the Cruise Control permits a temporary increase in the car speed because it is temporarily deactivated, but as soon as the action on the accelerator pedal ceases, the system reactivates the memorised speed setting.
The Cruise Control system cannot work in 1st gear or Reverse.

For safety reasons, the ASR and VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) functions have priority over the Cruise Control; when the operation of the ASR/VDC is over, the Cruise Control is automatically reactivated at the last speed value memorised.

The Cruise Control is automatically deactivated if:

acceleration higher than the set limit occurs (e.g. a rapid descent);
deceleration higher than the sest limit occurs: the gear selector lever is used without the clutch.

However, the system switches off automatically when the signals used by the Cruise software are incorrect because they are attributable to faults in the components;

vehicle speed sensor;
accelerator pedal potentiometer;
plausibility of brake/stop lights switches;
plausibility of clutch switch;
lever position on automatic transmissions;
plausibility of Cruise switch and Resume button;
plausibility of Cruise switch and (+) (-) buttons;

The Cruise Control system is also deactivated in all cases where errors occur on components which impair engine operation, such as:

engine management control unit;
engine rpm sensor;
electronic throttle body actuators/sensors (petrol engines);
engine load meter (petrol engines);
coils (petrol engines);
fuel injectors;
high-pressure system components (diesel engines);

A 'fault' is a serious malfunction of the engine control system or Cruise Control system, such as to require that the Cruise Control become 'blocked' (i.e. disabled until the engine is turned off). An 'anomaly' is an anomalous condition (due to a malfunction or incorrect command from the user, such as, for example, involuntary simultaneous activation of the Resume buttons and (+) (-) ring buttons, such as to require that the Cruise Control be deactivated, but not blocked. In both cases of fault and anomaly, an error code which can be read by a diagnostic instrument must be memorised. Cruise Control errors must not cause the fuel injection control unit warning light to come on, or the Cruise Control warning light.

#81 ·
Hi Alfa 156 JTD!
I have same problem with retrofitting cruise control as you. According to FES stalk switches work perfectly. But Brake pedal contact 2 is always "Closed", even if I press brake pedal. So my cruise control stays not active. I checked wiring and brake switch, everything is fine. My alfa is 1.9jtd 8v 85kW, 2001 with EDC15C7 ECU. I hope someone can solve this problem. :confused:

#83 ·
Hi

The brake switch is a 4 wire circuit with closed and open switching for brake lights and the ecu.
The problem is the ecu isn't designed for cruise control retro fitting as there are components missing and or firmware missing in the ecu.
Some pre-facelift interior cars might have the necessary parts / firmware for CC to work but they will be very lucky with the 2.4 JTD's

Please note this is all assumption on my part from testing and reading extensively the wiring diagrams.
I could be completely wrong.

#86 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I tried to retrofit CC into my Marea JTD 110 (EDC15 C7 2.13), but I'm in the same situation now. My stalk buttons work (status cahnges in FES), but my second brake signal is always closed. The CC won't store speed, so it cannot be activated.

All the people in Czech Fiat Marea Club, who tried CC on JTD 110s succeeded, it is considered working, but mine does not. I even tried swapping ECUs with no effect. FES option to relearn CC could not be launched, because it states, that the conditions are not met (engine on/off) either with engine on or off.

Did anyone found a solution to this? Thanks a lot.

#88 ·
I believe the problem might be in the unit. There were two versions in Marea JTD 110 - Fiat numbers 46817802 and 73501231. All, who I know and have CC working have 73501231. I bought it in Poland for a funny price (22 €), so I'll try if it can process the second brake signal. If yes, I'll find someone to swap eeprom containing keycode and odometer and use this one from now on. I'll let you guys know here, since thos forum has been of much help for me when retrofiting the CC.

#90 ·
hi, just to let you guys know that it works on my 2001 2.0 twinspark 156 cf3 engine, got a stalk from a 147 but the pins were different compared to 156 (stalk side) but now working !!!
Welcome to the forum.

But

Why bother posting this information , it serves no purpose.

You would have the same result looking in the mirror and saying the same thing, how does this help anyone here?

What you should post is this information from here >>

156 / 147 cruise control.

Sorry to sound this way but I hate posts where the forum member says "I fixed it" then never seen again...............................

As for the posts here relating to petrol engine CC the OP has a 1.9 JTD and primarily the info was regarding that ecu and CC compatibility.

Have a nice day all....Im not :(

#91 ·
I realised cruise control to work on a EDC15C5 ECU mounted in a 1.9 105hp Alfa Romeo 156.

The key is to use the Lancia Lybra ECU firmware. I've let my ECU flashed with this software by Squadra Tuning.

Now I can finally enjoy cruise on my Alfa 156. This same trick will work on a 2.4 136hp Alfa 156 just flash it with the Lancia Lybra 2.4 engine ECU software.

I both cases you will need an other brake switch wich will feed the ECU with 12v when the brakes are engached.

#92 ·
Congratulations, and many thanks for your information!

After reading all the thread posts I had arrived to a similar conclusion: a reflash of the ECU should be necessary to "fill the gap" with a sw that additionally supports the cruise control. In my case, an Alfa 156 2.4 140HP '01 with EDC15C7, so I suppose I'll need the homonym sw from Lancia.

As Lancia and Alfa maps are slighly differents, since the reflash have you noticed any differences on engine response? Where did you get the new ECU program? Do the reflashers usually have them?

Best regards,
Margano

#93 ·
Retrofit Cruise Control on a '97 Alfa 156

Hello, guys!

Sorry to revive such old topic, but I just became really interested in it a short time ago, and I didn't see fit to start a whole new one, when it's been brought up so many times.

I have a 1997 1.9JTD Alfa 156, which is the pre-facelift version, interior and exterior. A picture of my ECU is attached below.

From what I have read on previous posts, you can't retrofit cruise control on a pre-facelift interior version, which made sense at first, as the ECU's weren't even alike (notice how pins up to 77 are mentioned, whilst my ECU only goes as far as 52 and is divided into five blocks, from A to E). However, not all hope is lost, yet.

Forum member "Alecto28", you mentioned at the beginning of this post that your 156 is pre-facelift interior and exterior, and that you managed to retrofit it. Is this correct? How on earth did you do it? I have tried looking at electronic diagrams to try and match the pins from one ECU to the other, but the info I got was just too uncertain, and ECUs are not to be messed around too much with. Is it a matter of wiring the switches to the correct pins? Is any firmware flash necessary?

Forum member "DieselManiac", you mentioned it was as easy as to flash the Lybra firmware and pull another brake switch to feed the ECU with 12v when the brakes are engaged, but where does the wiring go in the ECU? Won't the Lancia ECU maps be different from Alfa's?

Maybe the problem is that nobody was ever really referring to my ECU, and that everyone was talking about the more modern one from the beginning... Could this be? From what I know, my type of ECU was replaced when the interior facelift came out in 2002. Has no one ever retrofitted it on a pre-facelift interior version?

Please tell me if there's no hope for me. I'm really interested in this, and it's really getting on my nerves :lol:
:DThank you all in advance.

Attachments

#94 ·
So its working with ME7.3.1 on newer TS with 110kw Euro 3, riht ?
No ecu updates is needed ? Just some wires, and CC switch ?
How about brake switch, do i need new 3 or 4 contacts, or already have right.
Now does it connects strait to Ecu pins from brakes, or needs reley or something, i mean its - ve or + ve, as - should come to ECU pins right? converting - to + or wisewersa

Did i understand correct ?

Forget the light, its too complicated :)

#95 ·
hi everyone,

I have been trying to fit the cruise to 2.4JTD 2001 - EDC16C7. I connected the pins accordingly to this thread:
1---->53
2---->n.c.
3---->+vcc
4---->56
5---->57
6---->55
but nothing happens - no signals received in Fiat Ecu Scan.

I have been checking eLearn as well and I noticed there are 2 types of plug. Mine is socket1 and in eLearn there are is no mention about H7 module while the other type socket2 has H7 mentioned and given destination pins. I suppose this is not just about the plug but probabely whole ECU.
Can anyone advise if there are any chances to retrofit CC here?

Thanks

Attachments

#97 ·
Hello again :byebye:

Three years have passed since the cruise control installation first attempt on my 01' 156 2.4 JTD 140HP (no CAN, no VDC, no ASR). Now I've tried again and I got it!

The key is the ECU flashing as already told us our mate DieselManiac. First at all, then I read the ECU FW from my 156 (EDC15C7) using a Galletto cable, in order to save it as a backup and to extract the accelerator & injection mappings from it. Then I got an ECU firmware from a contemporary Lancia Lybra 2.4 JTD and overwrote its two mappings with the ones extracted from my 156, to keep the Alfa engine response. Finally wrote with the Galletto the modified FW into my 156 ECU and... is working!!! :thumbup:

Attention: the ECU flashing sequence is the most risky of the whole work, so take care on this operation doing it with the car battery well charged and using a reliable PC. The remaining work was simply funny and very instructive. :read:

Many thanks to all, this thread is outstanding! :bow:

#98 ·
Hello everyone, does anyone here have a poinout diagram for a Alfa Romeo 147 facelift 1.9 JTDm 8v 2007 120HP ECU: BOSCH 0 281 012 882 51806557 9374D34A3AEM EDC16C39, I need to manually connect my Cruise control stalk and I need to know what pins fit where in the ECU.

Thank you very much.